• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuller ten speed

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neither one will fit in a deuce without some major mods. Both are way bigger than what's in there.

I'd suspect you have some length issues also between the engine and t-case putting a 10 speed in a M818.

Trango

Guys, the issue is space and location of peripherals.

The 10 speed is about 4 times as big as the 3053, volume-wise, is maybe 50% longer and twice as wide. The deck height of the tranny is also incredibly high - it's basically inches below the top of the bellhousing. So, you will run into major interference issues with the cab, which will basically require you to doghouse the heck out of the cab's floor, or body-lift the cab probably much higher than you want to go.

There are also other items in the way - the braking Master cylinder, the crossmember for the transfer case, etc etc etc.

Oh, and your output flanges? Even if you can get a flat companion flange on the back of the transmission, you will need an adapter plate to get you back down to the 4 bolt deuce driveshaft pattern, to keep with the 1550 u-joint regime. That might actually be easily solved, but with the peculiarities of deuce driveshafts, this aspect of any gearbox project is worthy of consideration.

I know all of this because I looked at putting a 10 speed in my original deuce project, once I realized that I had issues with the 6855 5 speed I put behind the 3208. I actually bought a 10 speed and thankfully came to my senses, probably after I had the panic attack of realizing how much work needed to be done to get it to fit.

After this latest project, I've learned alot about drivetrains, fitment, and overall work. After noodling on this a bit, I don't think there is an engine or transmission swap I would ever do in the deuce, save one: 6BT. Yeah, I'd maybe advocate a brownie box fitted in the back of the truck to increase final drive RPM or something, but above that, it's a nonstarter IMO. After having done this once or twice (yes, twice now), my thought is that leave a deuce a deuce, and if you want something more like an OTR truck, start with a 5 ton - honestly, I would save your pennies and buy a 939 or similar.

Hope this helps,
Bob

hdmax

If you had a M36 frame, (The one that came with a 17' bed!) I'd say probably, but any thing shorter and you will run out of room in a hurry. That Fuller 10 is pretty big by itself.
You could very easily double the frame for height, and the M36 is plenty long enough, but you will still more than likely run out of room between the frame rails.

But, never say never, as just about anything is possible!

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is very little distance between the trans and transfer in a 2.5 or 5 ton. If the truck is a short wheelbase like and M35 or M818, the rear shaft will be very short, perhaps unacceptably so.

The next truck I mod, if any, will probably be n OTR tractor, which already has the big hardware and the highway gears. That won't happen until I finally quit preferring all wheel drive trucks.

jesusgatos

i have to ask why would you want to do this swap? what are you after in the end?

tom
I'd like to explore the possibility of a transmission swap in order to get more gears, reduce the gaps, and make the truck more highway-friendly. But it's pretty low on my priority list. When I get around to looking into it, if I find that there's nothing that'll fit in there, then I'll go with your OD upgrade.

Jakob

I'd like to explore the possibility of a transmission swap in order to get more gears, reduce the gaps, and make the truck more highway-friendly. But it's pretty low on my priority list. When I get around to looking into it, if I find that there's nothing that'll fit in there, then I'll go with your OD upgrade.
I think that is a two fold problem. Even if the transmission gears were there, it seems like most trucks wouldn't have the power to push a brick that large through the air that quickly. Then you have to solve the problem of a lack of power.

jesusgatos

Realize, but we're not only talking about the final drive and top-speed - the gaps in the stock 5spd are much bigger than in transmissions we're talking about. Not trying to build a full-on OTR truck, just a bunch of incremental improvements that I hope will all add up to a much more drivable truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks