• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fully loaded LMTV bed, thoughts?

derpschitz

I know the LMTV (1078) is rated for 2.5 tons/5000 lbs cargo, but it's got room for 6 pallets in back. Would it break stuff driving on-road with 6 full tons in the back? I ask out of practicality-- I bought this truck for farm use and would like to use it to haul feed. Thanks!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I know the LMTV (1078) is rated for 2.5 tons/5000 lbs cargo, but it's got room for 6 pallets in back. Would it break stuff driving on-road with 6 full tons in the back? I ask out of practicality-- I bought this truck for farm use and would like to use it to haul feed. Thanks!
Opinions are like parts of the anatomy - where everybody has one. On the highway my opinion is that it shouldn't be a problem so long as the Weight Enforcement folks don't have a problem. Thinking that farm trucks get special dispensation so hopefully that won't be a problem.

M939 Series Trucks spec'd their weights differently than the M107X and M108X trucks. Those 2.5 ton and 5 ton trucks were off-road weights. The M1078 data plate says 5 tons. You don't have a warranty to void and driven carefully I don't think another two thousand pounds will kill your truck. Seeing how it performs stopping might be pretty important the first time you load it heavy too.

M-1078 Weight and Dimensional Data Plate DT-545.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of senarios there ! are you gona be on the street /high or low speeds / how much does your tires say they can handle / sounds like you might be over 20k on rear axle (all they allow on the street per axle) Folks on here say 2.5 tons offroad and double that of on road /are your tires new enough to be overloaded in the heat without shredding ? Say hello to TOOKER HURST if your native wildwoodian !

derpschitz

Opinions are like parts of the anatomy - where everybody has one. On the highway my opinion is that it shouldn't be a problem so long as the Weight Enforcement folks don't have a problem. Thinking that farm trucks get special dispensation so hopefully that won't be a problem.

M939 Series Trucks spec'd their weights differently than the M107X and M108X trucks. Those 2.5 ton and 5 ton trucks were off-road weights. The M1078 data plate says 5 tons. You don't have a warranty to void and driven carefully I don't think another two thousand pounds will kill your truck. Seeing how it performs stopping might be pretty important the first time you load it heavy too.
Yeah we have "covered vehicle exemption" which allows us to ignore the need for load limits or CDL when running heavy ag stuff around in-state and some distance across state lines. From the other posts it seems like the frame and hardware will take it, just gotta be confident about the tires. Thanks for your info guys!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks