• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Functional electric fan conversion.

Apparently this has been a "It won't work" topic to convert the humvee's hydraulic fan to an all electric unit.

I recently accomplished this on a 6.2l 3 speed m998 with a lot of help from Chris Fowler from Douglasville Georgia and his cummings converted truck "Rosie". He converted his truck to electric to support his cummings conversion and with his help i took the torche and designed my own shroud and system for my 6.2l 3 speed. Given my truck is highly modified cooling wise but after watching it function on my truck in some extreamly hot and very harsh off-road conditions i am confident it will function on all other humvee models. Especially since mine is custom turbo as well and has over 1,000 pounds of 3/16 steel skid plates completely incasing the underbody of the truck.

This weekend I am converting a m998 with a 6.2l diesel and completely factory cooling stack. Assuming this functions with my shroud design i will be fabricating these kits for those who are interested. Any questions feel free to let me know.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sounds interesting. I have the 6.5 4 speed and for the most part it works just fine, but when the fan kicks in it is gutless. I know the new version will not work with water fording but I am curious to see how this turns out.

Actually the fan will work with water fording. Unlike the hydraulic you just flip a switch and it deactivates. Then just re switch it once your out of the water. The fans also protected better from rushing water greatly reducing the chance of damage from higher speed entry.

I was thinking how the components would handle being submerged. I am sure the power could be removed but would the electrical components be happy with the water getting in to them.

Just like anything else electrical, if you plan on deep fording you would need to insulate the electrical connections with a waterproofing compound. The power inverter i am using is waterproof and the relays with a insulator are as well. I have submerged these fans before and they return to operation after being re energized without any issues. However i do understand your concern and will test this for a selling point and just piece of mind for those without the experience.

Its a 12v two stage fan pulling 5,000 cfm on high and 2800 on low. The high setting draws 47 amps while the low 27 amps. It uses a marine grade 24v to 12v power inverter to operate the system. The kit im putting together will include fan, shroud, relays, breakers, switches connectors, wiring, and power inverter for a very simple install that bolts in place of the existing fan shroud. Some benefits are as follows:

Simpler hydraulic system and as a result improved hydraulics for power steering and brakes
improved engine efficiency (better fuel economy, more available hp etc.),

no fan noise (fan is virtually inaudible above engine noise)

easier belt maintenence (replacement parts can be sourced at any auto parts store, no more burned out fan switches are failed cadilla valves)

More available engine bay work room.

Deep water entry is as simple as the flip of a switch (no more blown apart hydraulic fans)

I include a lower temp thermostat with the system. It helps the truck to run at cooler temps and is simple to swap while you have the coolant drained.

Glider

When you say 1000 sale price. Does that include what you have pictured(radiator, shroud and fan) plus the wiring, switches, etc? I would be interested if there was a 24v fan that could be added either under or over the factory radiator that could run on a thermostat to "reduce" the amount of fan cycling on and off. Reduce being the keyword. I would not expect it to do all the cooling but come on before the hydraulic fan and potentially prevent it from coming on in certain circumstances. Maybe a fan that pulled 20amps. Still let the hydraulic fan do the heavy lifting when towing, long uphill climbs, really hot weather, etc. In winter the main fan may not come on at all. This would potentially be an option for us poor guys who only have the 60amp gen.

This fan setup will more than support your truck in up hill, towing etc. I am putting it to the test in all circumstances otherwise its not worth converting in my opinion. I routinely beat my humvee to death offroad and in the worst of circumstances. It has never exceeded 210 degrees and my 6.2 is custom turbo charged.

Yes, everything to convert your truck is included and that also includes a lower degree thermostat to decrease your engines operational temperatures. It is a 12v system due to the fan being modified to work with our humvees. It is sourced from a 1999 Ford Crown Victoria. A vehicle and fan that has been tested world wide to operate its electric fan for extreamly long periods of time with no breaks. My shroud is simple yet effective and allows for proper airflow pulled from the entire surface of the radiator and the fan spacing eliminates dead space created by pusher fans that you described being placed on top of the radiator like the military came up with. More data from a factory truck will be collected this weekend as i install one of my conversions on a completely factory m998 with a 6.2l 3 speed. Ill keep everyone updated on its progress.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you keep saying a lower temp thermostat.
These engines like to run hot. Putting in a lower thermostat is usually a bad thing, as it can lead to issues over time from the engine not being hot enough to burn efficiently, especially in cooler climates.

Action

.......-My shroud is simple yet effective and allows for proper airflow pulled from the entire surface of the radiator and the fan spacing eliminates dead space created by pusher fans that you described being placed on top of the radiator like the military came up with. .......

When did the military use electric fans on the cooling stack?
The H1 community has tried this for a long time and many agree that electric fans on these trucks block more air than they move.
For a good comparison, what is the cfm rating of our hydraulic fan?

donquijote

When did the military use electric fans on the cooling stack?
The H1 community has tried this for a long time and many agree that electric fans on these trucks block more air than they move.
For a good comparison, what is the cfm rating of our hydraulic fan?
If you look in the military PS magazine, one issue has a writeup of how they put electric fans on their cooling stack in the fields. Shows the parts and all.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They started using pusher fans to help increase airflow on fully armored trucks being operated in the desert in combat conditions.

As for airflow, the numbers I have seen is always in excess of 10k CFM for air movement. Not sure how an electric fan at half that, combined with a lower thermostat opening temp, will equal the same amount of cooling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks