• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Functional electric fan conversion.

Hummerhmm

That looks awesome. I have another reason to convert to electric. 1165A1 with geared fan drive. I want to put a differential centering kit in so I only have to carry one cv joint per axle. The geared fan drive hangs so low that I am pretty sure it would be in the way. I figure pull that fan system out, sell it for like $3000 and put in one of these.... 6800 cfm. That is still 2000 cfm less than the 8800 cfm (from what I have heard) but might do the trick. I am going to make a hood scoop also to direct air. Could do the conversion with a bit of facbrication for less than $1500 I am sure

Hummerhmm

So this set up 6000 cfm per draws 36 amps at 12 volts. Found this auto cool guy but it is 12 volts. I swear I have seen a 24 volt one on his site. If you found a 24 volt and hooked the fans up in series with wires and fuses that could handle the amp draw it might work without decreased poer to second fan. I am no electrician though. Sorry about the multiple posts and kind of hijacking the tthread.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So let me get this straight. When your alternator takes a dump, you’ll only be able to drive for about 15 more minutes before you deplete the batteries and you overheat and blow the engine.

One thing about mechanical fans, as long as the engine is spinning the fan spinning.

Creating a back up electric system is a great idea. Creating a stand alone system is fraught with potential dangers.

IMHO

Action

That looks awesome. I have another reason to convert to electric. 1165A1 with geared fan drive. I want to put a differential centering kit in so I only have to carry one cv joint per axle. The geared fan drive hangs so low that I am pretty sure it would be in the way. I figure pull that fan system out, sell it for like $3000 and put in one of these.... 6800 cfm. That is still 2000 cfm less than the 8800 cfm (from what I have heard) but might do the trick. I am going to make a hood scoop also to direct air. Could do the conversion with a bit of facbrication for less than $1500 I am sure
You would be the first person I have heard of that would remove the GFD system. That thing moves a LOT of air, even when freespinning...
When is the last time you broke a 12k halfshaft?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s your money and your dream but this is the silliest thing I’ve ever read. You want to spend bizillions of dollars to move a front diff just so you can save space or time or money by carrying a single axle???

So far according to your 25 posts; you want to EMP proof your rig, design custom armor, create custom interior mats, move the front differential to create a bad driveshaft angle with wear and harmonics issues, replace a working $10,000 fan cooling system with a less efficient electric system, re-format the HMMWV manuals so you might read them all and highlight them.

With respect, do you currently own a HMMWV [EDIT - prior post states you do but…], and how old are you?

Last edited:

Hummerhmm

Remember, No one has more money for R&D than the Manufacturer. There is a reason it's built this way and it's not just because a GDF sticks down too low.
1. Regarding alternator. Game over in an ecv if it poops out regardless of how your fan is powered.

2. I am not impressed with R and D by AM general beyond the original invention which we can all agree is awesome. The geared fan drive is a CV joint with a fan clutch that should have been upgraded almost immediately my from fan blades sitting at a 60 degree angle to the radiator. I think the reason they didn't go electric is the waterproofing issues and lack of incentive for meaningful improvements.

3. I haven’t broken a 12k half shaft but I have broken a few of the older ones. The right front is most susceptible imo (broke 2 of them) because it is at the steepest angle. The reason they did offset it was driveshaft vibration which was fixed. That military should have demanded that fix on subsequent models just for parts procurement but thosenof us who have served can agree that the high ups are not exactly Mensa candidates.

4. As far as reliability i think 2 separate systems (i saw a 24 volt version after my last post) pushing 6000 cfm would be much better than a plastic fan (Ive shattered those on hmmwvs and other vehicles). Also it is 4 separate fan blades. You could carry one extra easily or just plan on disabling whatever fan goes bad and that would bring you down to 9000 cfm.

5. The geared fan drive costs $4500 to replace. I guarantee many more enthusiasts will be looking for a fix that avoids that expense.

Electric hmmwv fans are going to be commonplace. You heard it here first (unless someone said it earlier in the thread of course.)

Reactions: sue

Hummerhmm

It’s your money and your dream but this is the silliest thing I’ve ever read. You want to spend bizillions of dollars to move a front diff just so you can save space or time or money by carrying a single axle???

So far according to your 25 posts; you want to EMP proof your rig, design custom armor, create custom interior mats, move the front differential to create a bad driveshaft angle with wear and harmonics issues, replace a working $10,000 fan cooling system with a less efficient electric system, re-format the HMMWV manuals so you might read them all and highlight them.

With respect, do you currently own a HMMWV [EDIT - prior post states you do but…], and how old are you?
The way I see it is this forum is for putting out crazy ideas and seeing what sticks. Why not?
I do own a hmmwv, and have owned and done frame offs and custom fabs (rollcage, bumpers…) on 2 4x4s. I have done legitimate backcountry wheeling with bad ass rigs I built myself. Now I am a middle aged man with some dreams and I drove the shit out of hmmwvs as a young man a few decades ago. Finally picked one up. 1165 A1 and am in the initial stages with limited time on my hands unfortunately. Thanks for looking up my posts and I believe me I can relate to getting annoyed with millennials types who ask endless stupid questions despite having access to info that analogs like myself could only have dreamed of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks