• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuse block is loose

84cucv1ton

friend got a m1028 from some town. truck was never used. 11000 miles thats it.. clean truck. one dent.. 1200 bucks. he did good.. we did the belts, relay, gp, all new fluids and filters. getting it ready for the road.. lights dont work.. hit the brakes maker lights come on.. looking at the fuse block. its bolted together but not the firewall.. there is another wire going over to the power block where the battery wires bolt too..

so any ideas where to start?? have not done to much wiring. thanks

ryan77

Look at the tm on here and the wiring diagrams, i just bought a m1028 from a small town and they butchered the fuse block i have to replace the whole harness! The problem is these little jerk water usa towns get these truck from the goberment and have no idea how to work on the electrical system and end up butchering them and then just sell it because their mechanic cant figure it out! :shock:

ryan77

Anything is possible! When i looked under my dash i almost had a heart attack plus i drove it home from Tennesse to Illinois with no charging system, turn signals and dashlights didnt work and had 6 bald tires with no spare thats a recovery road trip!!!:beer:

Jerchambers

Are the Blackouts still attached. Mine came without and had an 8 ga wire crossing over so the head lights came and brake lights didn't and then when the head lights were off the brake lights worked. Someone jimmy rigged it. I fixed it when I put Blackouts in.

ryan77

Are the Blackouts still attached. Mine came without and had an 8 ga wire crossing over so the head lights came and brake lights didn't and then when the head lights were off the brake lights worked. Someone jimmy rigged it. I fixed it when I put Blackouts in.
Good call i had a blazer where they took the black out switch off the dash and taped it under the dash and used the hole for a manual glow plug switch?

84cucv1ton

i will take a look at the tms. try to understand it. **** nice truck for cheap.. i was wondering if we should just bolt it back down?

dstang97

Can you take some pictures. I just finished that truck I was telling you about. The wiring nightmare. So I am pretty familiar with the wiring. I had to pretty much go through every wire in the truck.

mistaken1

As warthog always points out, at the beginning of the electrical section are the instructions for reading the schematics.

It is amazing to me that these small towns get the nice surplus equipment but then no one in the local government seems to have a clue how search the internet for the USGI manuals for nice equiipment they just acquired.

84cucv1ton

here is 2 pics.. the block is loose like i said. seems there is a black wire going from the pink wire in the block over across the engine to where the batteries connect too.. as you can see its on the bottom in the middle thanks

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need some more info. Take the center bolt out of the wiring plug on the firewall and pull the two halfs apart. It may take some wiggling to to it.

See where the black wire it attached to. Tell me (with pic if possible) which terminal it is.

Just by the pictures you have posted, they ran a new ground wire (that is the bottom posts behind the battery). There are only two small black wires in the diagrams going to the bottom terminals. One for the Glowplug Controler and one for the STE/ICE system.

While you have the plug apart, clean the terminals with a can of Electrical Contact Cleaner. It will do wonders for electrical problems.

Since I have an iPhone now, I can't post any pictures or diagrams on the weekends. The wife thinks I spend too much time on the computer....:shock:

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A closer look at your first picture, The new black wire is for the GP Controler Card. It is connected to the second terminal of the firewall plug.

Next check/remove/clean all the ground wires on the radiator support, above the emergency brake pedal and the rear tail lights. The rear tail lights will need to be removed to access the ground wires.

Attachments

84cucv1ton

did the ground wires. didnt see any in the back.. truck doesnt have a bed yet. im cleaning the fuse block now.. mine is covered in this sticky black stuff, having a hard time getting it off to.. what is that stuff? few pics above seem to have some of it to. mine has so much the terminals are black. after that black stuff is gone, put a bunch of electrical grease in there and call it done? thanks

fstfrdy

the block on my truck is loose (lastthree trucks) although they were civvy truck the wiring is similar i have seen that problem before on a couple of the truck check in the rear of the frame if someone has added trailer wiring to the harness check that i have seen plenty of people splice groups of wiring together in an attempt to hook up a four pin trailer plug. also look for damaged wires or repairsin the rear anf along the frame, same thing there. i once had a truck when you hit the brakes the dash lights and running lights came on. hit the right turn signal and the flasher came on, left turn signal and nothing. it was a single wire that someone tried to repair and didnt do it rightaua

84cucv1ton

wiring in the back looks fine.. truck had a 1031 body on it. no light in the back right now. still looking for a bed.. should i use eletrical grease on the fuse block? got the male pins very clean.. got the female ones as clean as i could with contact cleaner and a stiff brush.. thanks