• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuse Block Melting

motormayhem

Hi All,
I'm having issues with my fuse block melting around the terminals for the headlight fuse as well as the heater blower motor fuse. I know these are somewhat common issues. Is there a part number or option to replace the plastic cover all the terminals press into? Or an alternative fuse block that fits/works half decent? I'd like to repair this right and move on. Even if that means a bit of wiring work. I've tried bending / cleaning the contacts a few times now and it just continues to get hot and melt the fuse and the fuse block. Worst case I might be able to move the fuse to a location on the block that isn't normally used, but I probably need new contacts for the wire. Anyone have a suggestion on where to find those? I didn't see the fuse block broken out on a part by part basses in the manual.

MarcusOReallyus

I know of one workaround - bypass that circuit. Get in behind and cut the wires, then install an inline fuse holder. Bootleg, but it works.

The other alternative is to replace the fuse block. I don't know of a better replacement part. After you do that, the long term cure is to take some of the load off of that poorly designed circuit so it doesn't melt again. Three easy ways to do that:

1. Install a headlight harness kit like the Putco. Takes the heavy current from the headlights out of that circuit.
  2. Install LED headlights. Pricey, but great option. Since they draw a lot less current, that circuit will now operate within reasonable limits.
  3. Do both 1 & 2.

The hard way is to completely redesign the circuitry so that the heater and the headlights aren't on the same circuit. I think I'm voting for one of the easy methods above!

motormayhem