• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FYI-Fuel Tank Filler Hose

Baron3-6

This is somewhat of a safety thread, but being that it's M37 specific I've posted here.

As I got my '52 M37 road-worthy, I took time to replace every piece of rubber in the fuel, oil, and coolant systems, or so I thought. I came back today after the M37 sat for a week with a full tank of fuel and discovered a nice pool of fuel dripping off of the rear leaf spring. Upon checking, I found the fuel tank filler hose, and the smaller filler vent line hose that runs parallel had nearly disintegrated. Probably had never been replaced (original wire/screw hose clamps).

Good news: it was an easy fix. Napa has the correct size of fuel-rated line in stock. The main filler hose is 2 1/4".....loosen the nuts under the left rear wheel well to have some play in the filler pipe. Just wanted to point this out as an easy preventive fix before this happens to someone else.

Here are some pics from today:

Attachments

Milbikes

Thanks for posting this. As a new M37 owner, I will now take a look at it. Tips like this are great for us guys new to M37's...and long-term owners too!

Baron3-6

I already opened up the top side of the tank and investigated when it was dry. All and all not terrible for the original tank on a 1952....probably 75% finish / 25% rust on the inside. Some very fine sediment on the tank bottom. I run a clear plastic in-line fuel filter (always carry a spare) and have a civilian fuel pump with the glass sediment bowl (Carter M847), between those two I think I'll be OK for a few years of occasional driving.

I wish someone would make an ABS plastic after-market fuel tank....I know it wouldn't be authentic, but it wouldn't be easily seen and would last forever....

WarrenD

I switched my fill and vent hoses last fall when I installed a reconditioned tank. My old lines looked good, but as long as the tank was out I decided it was worth a few extra minutes.
Another thing to look at as long as we are talking gas tanks and rubber is the gaskets for the fuel pick up and gauge sender. They are on the top of the tank. On my truck, these rotted out from either time or ethanol or both and that was where I had gas leaking as I drove and it sloshed around in the tank.