• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G.I. Robo tool set.... what to offer?

saddamsnightmare

June 1st, 2010.

Gents:

Here's the dope...... I've been unemployed for 6 plus months, been without unemployment for 1 month (waiting on the Federal emergency Unemployment to kick in, and I'll likely be going back to work for the Feds in about a month..... So, as always, Murphy's Lawyers throw out temptation in my poor benighted path!:drool:
I have the chance to get a complete tool box with attachements and little used RoBo tool electric impact wrench and cable (with the Nato plug, so I'll need to find 1 Nato to Slave socket adapter), and the old fellow says "Make me an offer!" You know, and I know, Uncle Sam paid good for these items, and I'd love to have it so I don't kill myself breaking loose the lug nuts on the deuce and Unimog....... SO what constitues a fair offer for one of these, considering the old guy has nothing around the shop with a 24VDC electrical system on it?????:confused:
Life is not easy.... The Devil must be in the details, but I have to come up with something plausible.... So ask yourselves, given the circumstances, what constitutes "Fair"as an offer????

AND no, I'm not gonna pass this one up if I can, but it has been slightly used... I can't test it due to the US/Nato plug differences right now, my deuce was rebuilt in 1990 and they left the old slave plug on her....

You kind insights would be appreciated.....:)

saddamsnightmare

June 1st, 2010.

Thanks, Frodobaggins, I will drop him a line, so to speak. Whever did you come up with the kitten with the horns icon?:confused: Your old one was more obvious, the new one has had me curious since you installed it......
:razz:

mattveeder

Mine is 3/4 in drive. As for the nato plug I use an adapter that I got from ebay for $29. It will do the wheels of your truck but on some lugs it has a hard time. Some people say that they dont last a long time but mine has had no problems yet. As for price I paid in excess of $400 when I got mine from ebay. All in all it was worth it.

saddamsnightmare

June 1st, 2010.

Kenny:

Looks like 3/4", but I'll mosey over now and measure it.... All I know is that box is about as heavy as the sleeve puller kit for the multifuel....

I'll be back by 1700CT if not sooner.... thanks:razz:

saddamsnightmare

June 1st, 2010.

Kenny:

The Unit is a 1/2 square drive unit, metal box lid is marked:

19207 ASSY 1238461
MFR-88174 VWE-315

No manual in box, various sockets and adapters for drive from 1/2" to 3/4" to 1", it also has a breaker bar and socket wrench, torque mulitplier and a bracket or adapter inside the box end that has a very large rectangular flange on it....

This is the best that I can tell about it from close observation. It has a waterproof NATO slave plug on the end of what looks like a 30 or 40' cable attached to the tool itself.

That's all for now, Folks.......:razz:

SmokeyDod

What kind of adaptor do you need? The slave plug on the end of the 20 ft cord just hand pushes onto the male plug on your deuce. I have both the 1/2" & 3/4" drive robos. The 3/4" is a little stronger & I guess suited more for 2-1/2 & up.

SmokeyDod

I mean't to add this suggestion when you use yours, since you have the 1/2" drive be sure to use 1/2" "impact" sockets and try to stay away from extensions & adaptors as they seem to loosen tight nuts easier. The slight play takes away from the torque. Also I suggest you get some PB Blaster or some other type pentatrent and spray all of your lug nuts now and 2-3 times a year and that might help in making them easier to loosen when you actually do need to loosen them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a bunch of Ingersoll Rands in 1/2" a few years back. Got rid of them PDQ. I think Mangus580 still has one. With the deuce sporting air, I saw no need for the Robo.

saddamsnightmare

June 1st, 2010.

SmokeyDoD:

So far the unit seems to have the various drive adapters and torque multiplier from the factory. I'll look it iver again tomorrow (as I don't have it yet), but the plug is distinctly a NATO type, as it seems to have a large diameter rubber plug, which as a dual inner circumference set of contacts, one is a circular ring made to contact on the outside of a round plug, with an inner female receptacle for a pin (which might be + or -, kinda like a it would accept a phonograph jack plug, if you've seen those, but on serious steriods.
The Slave receptacle on my M35A2 cab is the old standard, circular weatherproof receptacle, with a hard rubber block inside with two pin holes, offset to one side one above the other, and I guess the slave plug had a collar that screwed onto the external threads of the receptable used by the weather cover (?).
As I have yet to loacte the old standard US Army Slave cable for the deuce in a range I could afford, I have yet to locate the NATO plug adapters needed to adapt her to the more modern NATO slave cables used today. Oddly enough, my 1963 Swiss S404.114 Unimog has a place for a U.S.Army type slave plug receptable under the cab, but the Swiss did not mount it or the wiring, but the MB parts book shows the same receptable as the deuce has.... I guess the German Unimog's has the old type slave receptables installed at the factory?
In any case, the unit does seem to have its good points, I suspect the torque multiplier might just move the lugnuts. Apparently this is a not too old unit from a local NG depot that was surplussed out. I will be looking for the manual when I get it, likely the company that made it may still have a couple....

Kenny, I can see your point, but I am wondering, given what my deuce likes to do (ring the buzzer) when you use the Air O Matic too much, how do you run an air impact wrench on 7 or 11 CuFt/M?

:razz:Thanks again for the many insights,

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DONT WASTE YOUR $ ON A ROBO! I did, even the 3/4 has no a--, an air tool will kick it's butt, hopeless on Budd lugs, hit the pawn shops and lowball them on an Ingersoll Rand, that's the way to go.

papercu

What are you planing on using it for or you do just need a fair price to offer the seller?
If you just going to use it for breakdown time, save your money and get a Swench. No cords or lines to untangle every time you need it. 90+ heat and standing side of a highway is enough of a bother.
If you just want one, start at 200.00 and go from there. Wayne

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use an air pig with a half inch hose to run the 1" gun. Knocks anything loose, just takes a spell to re-generate the air.

Srjeeper

Kyle,

I picked up a reconditioned HF Chicago Pneumatic 3/4" Impact for under $10.00 + 19 shippin from this seller 'Tadd Wholesale Supply' on E-Bay two years ago and it's still works great today.

Got the 1/2" HF hose & fittings to run off the Emergency Glad Hand on the rear of the deuce for another $25+ and for $60.00 or so I was set up.

Deals can be had.

If I'm changin a tire on the side of the road. I don't much care what make it is or where it came from, as long as it gets my fat outta the fire.

Good luck whatever route ya take. [thumbzup]

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I think you should offer him $100 for it. Reason being, the 1" drive impact guns can be had at that price NEW and they will loosen the lug nuts just fine. If you end up getting it, there is question as to if it will work when you need it to. I will get you what you need to make it work with your trucks if you end up with it. I was not impressed with the one I used, but they are kinda cool since they are not on every corner.