• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G286 Tire Swap

Varyag

So I finally am doing my g286 tire swap. Blew up a bottle jack in the process and ruined my BII handle for the lug wrench but it is moving along. I was motivated by the other thread to finally get it done.

I took them to the local tire shop and they took the tires off the howitzer rims and put them on deuce rims in about 3 hours time. I was thinking about doing this on my own but dismounting 14 tires and mounting 7 just wasn't worth the potential injury of it. I figured 360 bucks for mounting and new flaps was worth it.

i have 2 more rear hubs left to do but wanted to post some pics of the work so far. The sit level with the bed in the back and just look really good. I really can't wait to take them on the road for a cruise.

Attachments

Varyag

the howie rims were 10 bolt 0 off set. They are still piled in my pickup. They are a freaking ton so I am working up to moving them. All the tires and rims were piled in my 105 when I picked it up. These and some other really random stuff. They said they were spares for the m198 guns they just replaced and they were getting ready to take them to the tire place to have them chopped up. I told them to just leave them in there and I would take care of them.

Last edited:

Varyag

They said 21 per wheel to mount so I just took em home and did it. If I had them mount them they would have been more then hubs with mounting them on rims and then the truck. I am cheap when it comes to things I can do myself.

Varyag

Finished up the job and took it for a ride. The difference is AMAZING. I didn't know tires could effect the way a truck could move like that. Steering is one finger, gets to speed a heck of a lot quicker, and just rides and handles like it was a different vehicle.

On the flip side it does like to wander a tiny bit and it doesn't return to center very well after a turn.

Just all around better truck now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks