• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ukrainian Christmas

SuperDave, I missed this so I'm glad we've spoken. We still have the lights up so we can celebrate Ukrainian Christmas. Z Rizdvom Khrystovym

Finally got a chance to get back to Goose and remove the snow. Usually Goose would be resting indoors and driven weekly but for now she sits, freezing. SuperDave suggested removing the canvas and storing it. A new hut is coming to store all the toys.....but so is Christmas,,,,, that is funny.

With the harsh weather across our shared ocean of air I was wondering if anyone else is doing anything extra to protect their gear, especially the more perishable items?

I see I should have either oiled or pulled the winch cable like the TM says.....probably should get all the wood bows and seats stored indoors and short of a new shop I need to build a fall 'to do' list.

Here is a canvas preservation link found when using the search feature here on Steel Soldiers.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?10705-Canvas-Preservative

A couple of winter photos and snow removal off a deuce is easy when using the mini hoe. Got a great sky shot of some crazy looking clouds in the sky that came from the Genesee power plant just as the sun set.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old MV Outdoor Storage

The design of the back window lets precip' build up on the back channel so I'm thinking a guy should cover these holes.

Most of the deuce rear window channels seem to be rotten already and Goose had snow packed in the frame so it's just a matter of time. Maybe a piece of smoked plexi-glass bolted to the back would add to the redneck value.

Pulled the tarp for repair, found this cool thread in trailers and a link to product availability in Alberta http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?118113-How-do-you-preserve-your-M101-103-105-covers
http://www.wheretobuy303.com/results_list.php?showonly=CA&tab=CA&zip=t5l+1r5&distance=250&state=AB

Pulled the front windows for some new lenses and I'm guessing it's the first time the frames have been off. We broke most of the screws coming out so need to re-think the re-installation process so the new hardware has a little more protection.

What would happen if a guy filled the square tubing that the windshield frames screw into with a high density spray in foam????

My thought is, tubing must hold moisture that eventually rots the screws so if a guy eliminated the void it should preserve the screws a little longer.

Kinda wish Gunfreak's glass shop was closer but for now it is off to All West.

Attachments

Section8

Hmmm! Great minds think alike.
I was going to take my windshields out for some clean up and rust proof painting since the weather here is above zero.
I snapped a couple screws off to and stopped. I was thinking I was approaching it all wrong and that they had nuts in the tube, or channel, that I wasn't seeing. I was kind of worried I was missing a step by not taking the arched pannel off the outside above the windshields to expose the lock nuts.
Guess I will maybe re read Gunfreaks window rebuild thread again to see if I missed something or not.
If it is indeed just a hollow box tube across the top with the square nuts imbedded in it, I think filling it with a spray foam insulation would be a great idea.
Eliminate condensation and corrosion of the hardware for the windshields!

SturmTyger380

Those screws are a pain in the you know what. :evil: They are always breaking. I had to take the frame off of my friends M37 and turn it upside down so I could spray PB Blaster on them for a few days. Still ended up breaking one screw off. I had to drill out the screw shaft.

I figure my M211 will be the same if not worse since it has more rust than his truck.

Alan

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Powder Coated Lettering

Last year we took a valve cover in to Impact Coatings for a dedication project. They used a standard 383 green and my neighbour did the lettering with off the shelf White Tremclad.

This year we took the cover back to Impact for a satin clear coat to preserve the lettering and Pops' and I went to pick it up today.

The point really is that the years go by so if you've got a project that's been bugging you and you couldn't find the drive to get it done......... now is the time.

Finally got Goose under a roof and the sun was nice enough to dry her off before closing the flap.

Pops and his piece of the truck.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Insurance Coverage

I know it's a long insurance post but if one friend avoids this adventure it'll be worth it.

We have an update today from our June 16, 2013 fire so I'll use it as a reminder for everyone to READ your insurance policy and understand your coverages, thoroughly, completely.

We had coverage for auto and content loss however we also had "disposal coverage", "professional fees" and other coverages that we're slowly negotiating with our insurance adjuster.

If you need to make a claim or your neighbor's shop burns you want to know what type of 'assistance' you will get from your insurer now, not after it happens.

In my case they delayed 3 months on content coverage then paid me a lump sum. This left me with the burned contents and the problems that come with handling it. I was given notice to immediately remove contents from my rented shop. Just to re-iterate, 90 day delay then 1 day notice to 'remove all contents'. I negotiated the last part to depart within 30 days and somewhat by my terms, through emails and calm discussion.

They did not disclose that I had "disposal coverage" for 100+ days post incident and had I read my policy better I would have known that earlier.... and suffered less.

I hired an 'occupational hygienist' (professional fees) to test the soot and after finding cancerous hazards on everything we submitted the results to the insurance company.

Today, 8 months later, the adjuster agreed that the trucks were essentially destroyed in the fire and they will make an offer to buy out the contaminated vehicles. Clearly the original assessment on how to 'clean' the trucks was wrong and had I folded my hand at that time I would have been stuck with mold, formaldehyde and cancer causing air conditioning.

"Appraisals"

If you have not done an appraisal and the insurance company does not have an actual value of your vehicle they will 'offer' you something. To avoid that battle make sure the insurance company knows what the value is 'now' and have that value in writing if something bad happens.....before it happens.

I paid 15g for one of the loss units and put 24g into it for Repairs and Maintenance over 8 years and the given value is 8g. This is being negotiated but don't let it happen to you.

Re-check the 'values' on all your contents and if you haven't checked your policy for a while be sure to add all the 'collectibles' you've stacked in your storage since you insured last.

Do an inventory tracking sheet and tally a little "personal net worth statement" so you can check if you're really covered for any loss that may occur.

Photograph your contents.

This isn't the end, but it is the beginning of the end.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135 deep in the snow

Here's a little more M135 noise. Someone on Steel Soldiers wanted to see what the Deuce could do,

Here you go,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38JdOxSEyWI&feature=youtu.be

We have been working her a bit and as SuperDave pointed out she's not running quite right and you can hear it miss a little. I pointed out the new crate engine.

Asked buddies dog if he could help pull Goose out and what would you say he's thinking?

P4040218.jpgP4040217.jpg

Do we all have the same look on our faces when we're in our trucks?

P4010197.jpg

P4010188.jpgP4040210.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spring is just around the corner.

Got a call from a friends kid today who wanted to take some new jeeps for a stretch. Never easily distracted I had to join in and see what brand new jeeps could and couldn't do. Really have to respect these young guys who had some fun but were careful with their 'daily drivers'.

They do make funny sounds when you hook em' to heavy things though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJf13vNDwsE&feature=youtu.be

As the shadows got long Goose helped out the P-4 with a SuperDave donor Slave.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M207 W/ Shop Van

It's Gracie's 60th on April 30th and man have we got one heck of a present lined up. No one is going to believe what this 59yr old girl did today so hop in for a short trip through the bush and I'll tell ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS2one5JrZY&feature=youtu.be

The G749 farm got distracted by a 33,000 lb P-4 OshKosh non-runner that was going to suit up as Rudolph in a 9 truck Christmas display.......but that's another thread.

The non-runner was hauled into the farm in a blizzard last fall and parked in the Truck Evaluation Area TEA. After evaluation the non-runner needed to be moved to a better spot to work on it ABSTWOI and light/heavy equipment was brought in to move it. After several tries with a Duramax, skidsteers and a hoe, we had to go get Gracie. Money don't move no OshKosh truck, we needed love.

Now Gracie hasn't had a lot done to her yet and her evaluation wasn't good. Trani needs to come out to replace the E brake housing, entire brake system needs to be done, throttle linkages, heaters, tires, interior and cosmetically she's a dog.

We didn't air up the two lead tires on the P-4 axle because they were already trashed and we eventually had to push the P-4 down a hill so anything to slow it down was good. Getting it moving however was going to be more difficult.

We hooked the 16,000lb Gracie up to the 33,000lb P-4 and dragged the P-4 around in the soft ground like an ant hauling larvae, or an elephant dragging a corvette or a big ting pulling a small ting.......and with very little throttle on the 302. Dropped it in Low Range, Hilly, snugged up the chain and away we went.

After everything she's already given back, it's a keeper and will be going into the next phase of preservation.

So for Gracie's birthday we're going to........wait for the 30th.....oh and I'm sorry for discussing both her weight and her age in a public forum, but it's a truck.

After the pull we snapped this pic of the pintle and it seriously looked like it had a grin on it.

View attachment 490361View attachment 490360

Gracie made a little mess in the parking area but she's got a nice view of the open pond and the swamp, still frozen in the back ground so she won't feel bad about wrecking my landscaping.

View attachment 490359View attachment 490358

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Parts

It's raining G749 parts. The PO of a truck that I bought found some more G749 pieces laying around and I have a shiny new Drag Link amongst a few other goodies.
P4220297.jpgP4220298.jpgP4220299.jpg

The inside of a fairly clean fuel tank
P4280373.jpgP4280371.jpg

Found a couple of transmissions under a tarp in the back of one truck.
P4280358.jpg

One had a shiny data plate for the 303M and the other trani has primer on it and the data plate was missing. It turns over by hand and looks fresh so maybe we have a good one. Need to work on a test stand for these things so we can check them but first we need a barn......and that's another thread.

Attachments

Section8

That P-4 is awesome! That would make one awesome service rig for an oil company or maybe a totally wicked awesome RV/ mobile office command post for a business owner of a construction company. Oh the many things you could do with that rig.
Gracie looks good for age in my opinion. If I had 6 grand Layin around I would buy the one I have seen listed out in my neck of the woods.
So with all of your new found parts popping up..... when are you gonna start your other business of selling used surplus parts. Lol.
Keep the posts coming man. Gonna search to find your P-4 build thread now. That thing is awesome if I haven't said that already.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
business of selling used surplus parts.
I'm just going to hoard until the family does an intervention or I can get on one of those TV shows where they come and organize it all for free.

I also understand that there's a guy on the left side of the map up here that has the same affliction and will need these parts for some projects.

Am I driving over there this weekend or are you still doin twenty hour days?

Section8

Still pretty hectic. Got my class 1. Have a new job starting in a couple weeks and the farm is as busy as ever.
Just be happy I don't still live just outside Sherwood park. You would never get rid of me. Bwaahahahaa!
Hope to figure something out soon man.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Farm

We wanted to do a 3 or 4 truck convoy for Gracie's birthday but winter still has a grip on the trucks so we'll get that later.
P4300386.jpg
I had some great help getting the 211 by the same guy that sold me the 1010 and Tony, who may have some video. The PO of the 1010 also gave me the link to Steel Soldiers.... so I'd quit asking him questions.
A toast to the friendship links and bandwidth founded by Steel Soldiers. :beer:

For now just a little 3 truck G749 CDN display.
Left to Right

Gracie -M207 with shop van 30/ 4 /54
More - M211 11 / 7 / 56
Goose - M135 16 / 3 / 56
P4300399.jpgP4300391.jpgP4300390.jpg

A sunset finish
P4300402.jpgP4300408.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M211 Dedication

We have some anniversaries coming up, crazy hey, seems like every year there's another anniversary.
As we cleaned out the back of the truck and looked her over it became obvious that this truck needs to be dedicated to my buddy Nick. http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/roadside-bomb-kills-canadian-soldier-in-afghanistan-1.823930

Always thought the M135 would get some special paint in recognition of my Canadian buddies that give it all but that was an old plan. Not sure what it's all going to look like when it's done but this plan is flexible so we're working on it.
P5010450.jpgP5010421.jpgP5010446.jpg
Here's what we know so far about the new plan,

The 211 is going topless....all the more reason to find that NOS canvas top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The US markings are staying on the CDN truck. Nick was good to his neighbours and felt together, they were making things better.
Troop seats off, sanded and coated in Endura.
Box floor blasted and coated in Endura
Brakes
Get it moving
Carry People, slowly

Still not sure what "Stuck White Knight Here" means? Anyone?
P5010436.jpg
Real anxious to hear this modified exhaust.
P5010444.jpg
Box is solid and fairly straight.
P5010429.jpgP5010435.jpgP5010451.jpg

Get er' done

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks