• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

FrankUSMC

Years ago, GL sold off a couple of M109 trucks that were sat up as mobile command post for the Iraq war. They had the wall maps, and fold out beds to sleep on. Sorry this is going to be short as I am out the door, but maybe some else remembers seeing them.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shop Van Interior Pictures

Thanks Frank, I did see a couple of 109 vans with the bunk on the left and 2 big'ol wooden shelves on the right. We seem to have a 50's theme going on so one of the MVPA kids suggested visiting the Museum of the Regiments in Calgary and finding a Regimental Historian for pictures. I'm on it.

Meanwhile we've cracked the c-can on Norm from California and he sent 2 1/2 sets of very new looking canvas Soft-Tops. I spent a fortune getting them here but maybe it'll encourage others to dig for more of the G-749 parts still buried in their c-cans.

We're going topless..

P9080491.jpgP9080493.jpgP9080489.jpgP9080485.jpgP9080479.jpgP9080486.jpgP9080488.jpgP9080490.jpgP9080477.jpg

Also spoke with the boys at Sam Winers and they found 9 Air-Pak cores on the shelf. I left a few. They still have a selection of 2 1/2 ton, G749 parts listed in Army Supply. Is there still hope the 'fuel pumps', 'mufflers', 'air-pak kits', 'exhaust manifolds' and new transmissions will show up?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shop Van Preservation

We've been so busy at the G749 farm we haven't had time for updates.

2014 phone pics gracie 071.jpg

The real prize should come tomorrow when the sun comes around but when I left tonight, Gracie had new paint.

I wanted to get the shop van sealed up before winter but had many priorities came up so thought we missed the good weather we needed to get it painted out doors, off grid.

A great friend calls this morning and said he had some time so while he washed and taped, I took a grinder and wire, cone wheel and started prepping. With the sun leaving at 1900 hrs and the last warm day in the forecast until July, we decided to prep until 1500hrs and paint regardless of how ready we were. The focus was on the roof of the shop van to seal it up for the ladies, who do not like to sleep in a leaky shop van. By 1700 hours we were still prepping so I called a meeting with Charle and Cleo.......and they had no argument with going ahead and painting.

2014 phone pics gracie 064.jpg2014 phone pics gracie 067.jpg2014 phone pics gracie 066.jpg2014 phone pics gracie 065.jpg

Not sure what the cloverdale paint will look like next year because we have some deep rust cracking issues.

2014 phone pics gracie 051.jpg

This is where I needed the autobody guru's to jump in and tell me what this 'rust like' cracking is, how long until it comes through again and is soda blasting right to the metal the only way we'll control it?

A few weeks ago we hit it with a wire wheel and covered it with some grey primer.

2014 phone pics gracie 051.jpg2014 phone pics gracie 048.jpg

We were really hoping the red color underneath the thick layers of paint was just red primer and not rust......

........but I think it might be rust on the paper thin walls and we might see color leak through over the next few hundred years.

2014 phone pics gracie 057.jpg2014 phone pics gracie 049.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Off-grid paint

When your trucks off the grid........That Wagner Flexio is a great toy.

2014 gracie 576.jpg2014 gracie 578.jpg2014 gracie 583.jpg2014 phone pics gracie 002.jpg

I used the paint straight from the can without thinning. This was more of a 'time budget' decision because it was globbing a little heavy in the beginning, heading for some super orange peal. Thinner paint and several coats would have been a better way but that sun was setting fast. I turned the volume down and used a wide spray, just like them you tubers........and things were looking good........even the screen frames were shining in the dirt and leaves. now we wait until morning.

2014 gracie 555.jpg2014 gracie 563.jpg2014 gracie 572.jpg

Only had a few hours to prep an entire truck so I focused on loose paint on the shop van only and no prep was done on the cab.........no prep on the cab....not even wiped with thinner, used a broom to wipe off the cob webs......that'll be interesting.

This data plate was on the door and was painted over when we got it. A short soak with "Goof off" then a gentle wipe and it turns out Gracie has a 590 Superfex

2014 gracie 585.jpg2014 gracie 592.jpg

More pics coming......

klunk

Thinner paint and several coats would have been a better way but that sun was setting fast
careful what you wish for...

my first coat of paint was thinned by a dewy night and rain the next morning...I succeeded in painting the driveway british tan....

butch atkins

You guys are awesome,been following this thread awhile. Best wishes for you guys that have worked so hard to keep your projects going. Good luck on all your projects.

Section8

Lookin awesome Plowboy!! Be sure to keep enough paint left over so that come spring you can shoot a touch up coat of paint in spring. Light sanding to buff out the leaf marks and water spots, dust with final coat of paint and she then looks like a she just drove off the assembly line.
Heck I would take leaf marks and water spots any day over my robins egg blue eye soar.
Keep up the great work as usual.
Thanks again from all of us who read and reread you thread and drool.
Lots of great Intel and pics.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M207 GMC with Shop Van

Thanks Trucknut, still don't have a theme for the back because we just haven't dug up a lot of photos. A call to the Shilo curator wouldn't hurt.

I need to publicly thank my taper, Jim. Jim is the son of a surviving Canadian WW11 hero and the detail he laid down was top notch. I was able to grab the 21 window covers at one corner and peel them right off in one pull, too sweet. Here's a little reflection in the window of perfection.
P9230088.jpgP9230004.jpg

Not wanting to keep a Steel Soldier down for too long, Gracie fired right up and did what she does best and what she'll do in her retirement......pose.

P9230040.jpgP9230045.jpgP9230051.jpg

We went to visit George, Larry, Curly, Richard Pryor and the parts truck. Man they look rough but we're thinking this gave them a little hope that maybe some day......some day....

P9230028.jpg

Once we got up to the 51' chev with a view of the pond, Gracie's newish starter went whrrrrrrrrrr and wouldn't engage. I made a promise that the 51' Chev would have a roof this winter and I'm thinking Gracie wasn't leaving until she was towing the Chev behind. I better find a barn.

P9230099.jpgP9230100.jpg

I'll get the formula details on the Cloverdale paint USMC but I understand Cloverdale was an original supplier of paint for the military back in the day. They were able to create the 24087 paint in the current VOC compliant components. The color is ideal but the quality will show up in the next few years. The cab isn't going to be done until 2016' sometime so it'll be a real test to see how the paint reacts to the 'no prep' paint job.

I did get a nice finish on the roof which took a full gallon. Not sure why the shades of color looks different but we'll give it a few days and peak again. The leaves will peal off once the paint dries and will 'leaf' a nice fossil print so when I get at it again, I'll remember the night I painted.
P9230018.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M207 the rest of the story

Can't get over the detail on the windows.

Now the ugly stuff on the M207 can begin. Not quite sure how to tackle the 'structural' parts of the van with rot over the bottom box corners and side tie downs. I've checked out a thread where the panels were patched over and that seems simple enough but if anyone has cut into the ugly's in these pictures I'd love to hear the story.

P9230065.jpgP9230020.jpgP9230063.jpgP9230064.jpg

Need to decide how we deal with door dents. I like em' and if a guy bondos them.....it's bondo, so how bout some input on how far 'you'd' take things?.

P9230068.jpg

More interior ideas would be cool. So far the best I've got is a blue foam floor and a silver cot.......hey, blue and silver theme, oh ya.

P9230055.jpg

some more ruuf pics.

P9230015.jpgP9240126.jpgP9240137.jpgP9230012.jpg

trucknut

Hi Plowboy,
I am glad to see that you still have the 51 CHEV. I still miss mine sometimes. Re the museum ask your friends in PPCLI perhaps some were stationed at Shilo. They may have taken the collection out to your neck of the woods.

Section8

Plowboy, if you like the dents in the doors, leave them.
My preference, before that awesome new paint was applied I would have cut those dents out and replaced with new sheet metal.
Trying to pull the dents out would never work. They look pretty deep.
Unfortunately same would be said for you corner rot. Patching over the ugly is only doing a field dressing. The wound will of course continue to fester and cause big problems later. If your lucky enough it is only surface skin rot.
Bondo might be the quick and easy way to cover things up but it will shrink and crack with time.
Of course if your not wanting to tackle the cancer spots, could always haul it out to me. I have an M135 with a bare back end still! :razz:
Your motor is still safe in the weeds to, hasn't gone anywhere.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shop van M207

My preference, before that awesome new paint was applied I would have cut those dents out and replaced with new sheet metal.
Trying to pull the dents out would never work. They look pretty deep.
That's what the brother said, why paint before the body is done....it's sat outside since 52' with that paint, what's another winter.

Wasn't my choice, no siree. Sat beside Gracie and said, "I have 1 day and $300.00, what do I do?". Well' trucks don't have ears but a dog came over and licked my face so I knew right then.... a quick splash felt right. It would be cool if everyone dug just one MV out of the bush and painted it today.

We figure to do it correct it is panel Removal and Replacement, r&r. This gouge on the side and the rust almost made it not worth trying.

9 19 2014 cel 019.jpg

Still liking the window detail,

P9240151.jpgP9240149.jpgP9240148.jpg

....and other than one seam that I didn't get enough spray into, the top is sweet. The paint must still be 'self leveling' lol.

9 19 2014 cel 018.jpg9 19 2014 cel 017.jpg9 19 2014 cel 016.jpg

Now that it's painted, everyone loves Gracie. With the roof in good condition we'll save it now and work on the panels over the next 50 years. When we decide to take it further, I see a few hundred hours of work coming for ol' Gracie. Our timing was almost perfect too, we're at 40f right now and the rain is beading like a night in New Orleans.

Here's the paint code and numbers.

P9270159.jpg

I understand Cloverdale http://www.cloverdalepaint.com/stores_and_contacts/find_a_store.htm is hanging around with the US Rodda Paint from Portland http://www.roddapaint.com/location/locations.aspx

Section8

Can't deny that logic. The fresh paint will also keep the cancer from spreading to quickly till you can repair them. That really is some awesome detail around the Windows. Nice and clean.
Sure wish my phone would bring the cloverdale paint info into focus. Really love that color.
Gracie's roof looks slice. Doubt you will have any problems there for quite a while.
Wouldn't you know it. Since reading about you starting on Gracie, I have come across 2 of them for sale in my new k of the woods. One for $2500, which doesn't run and has other issues. The other is for 5500 and is a runner just needs tlc.
If only I had 10 grand. Could have 2 M207 sitting beside my M135.
Dreams Dreams Dreams.
Keep up the ever growing excellent work.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Highway Deuce

Well I never dreamed I'd be wheeling down the highway in a 56' GMC 6x6. Always put it on a trailer to get it the 40 miles to the farm but the day was nice and my wrecker buddy said he'd wait for a call.

P9280162.jpgP9280215.jpg

She ran flawless so we stopped for a visit at Total Off Road Experience just in time to pull the owner out of the mud. Goose is never shy to let the girls drive so just knew you boys would like a pic.

P9280196.jpgP9280191.jpgP9280190.jpg

Stopped for a photo of the dedication sign our county finally got up.........
http://www.parklandcounty.com/About...ns_with_Parkland_Drive_dedication_s1_p975.htm

P9280170.jpg

In continued gratitude to our military forces currently away from home, the M207 and the M135

P9280232.jpgP9280216.jpgP9280224.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 parking

Some CFR info on your trucks:

53313 belonged to CFB Penhold from 1955 until 1979. From there it was transferred to HQ and Sig Calgary until retirement in 1984. It's last recorded work order had the mileage at 72289 miles.

53714 Was in Wainwright from 1956 until 1980. It went to Edmonton for 80-81, back to Wainwright for the summer of 81, then off to Calgary until retirement in 1984. On release it had 15835 miles.

The last truck, 54341, I cannot provide any info on. That CFR was used again by the DND for a milcots, which overwrote any information that may have existed for yours.
CMPman, we had a little miracle removal with some Goof Off this weekend and I found some CFR glue behind some paint. 54-57304........... Thought I'd pass it along just in case we can find out a little more on the M207 Shop van out of Whitehorse.

PA050258.jpgPA050260.jpg

Once again we had more help on the G749 farm than we could stand so we mostly sat and pulled the next projects over to the new digs.

PA050265.jpg

I know we measured. We actually just threw a temporary piece of scrap wood up but it was a little entertaining that after all that work, I had to cut more to get Moore the M211 into the barn.

PA050268.jpgPA050266.jpg

So Goose, Moore the M211 and the 51 are in the barn waiting for the next plan.

PA050272.jpgPA050273.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanksgiving

It's the Thanksgiving long weekend up here and the whole family headed to the pond to camp. Camping on Oct. 11th is plenty thanks enough but we also had a visit from Wakefield Quebec and a few MVPA boys showed up. SuperDave can sing like a bird. Retirement for the trucks means the only job the M207 had was to hold the lantern.

PA120532.jpg:tigger:

The deer hang out at the G749 farm so if you get a chance to come and visit bring a knife and fork.

PA110528.jpgPA080520.jpg

Goose just keeps going and the niece is taking her driving lessons on it so everyone gets in on the walk around. First, the inspection for loose nuts,

PA120534.jpgPA120535.jpgPA120540.jpgPA120541.jpg

......and I knew the truckers would appreciate this,,,,,, a quick check on tire pressure before climbing hills,

PA120539.jpgPA120543.jpgPA120545.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winch guards

Winch Guard

Do these all look the same? Part # N shield YT-2285374

A retired friend got bored and bought a few tools to play with. Dabtl needs a guard and the opportunity is there to make them but the guard is kinda sloppy.

I'm bending 10 the same as this, including the lazy fold but I'd like to see if they made them any nicer on different trucks. You know, cut the fold off and make a nice weld.

The gauge is thin too. We want to re-create but it needs to be functional so were any of them heavier?

What do the purists do when they need to re-create a piece of metal that is apparently un-obtainable?
PA160315.jpgPA160306.jpgPA160316.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks