• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I headed to the G749 farm without the baby sitting manual and might have the opportunity to remove a cab.

Are the oval rings on the side and front of the cab lifting rings?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cab Removal

Thanks SuperDave, they looked light and they show up in this photo with rope around them so I had to ask. I needed to be a little gentler with them because they torqued a bit. Having a spreader bar over the front would have worked better and maybe I was a little rammy.

P8090055.jpgP8100061.jpgP8100058.jpg

There's always one more cable or pin and this time both got me. The reverse order of this of could be hooking up the E-brake handle to the cross-member lever. It would be tight in there with a transmission in place. The speedo cable is bolted to the bottom of the cab so we unhooked it from the transfer case and left it in place. It's another tough place to get at if the cab goes on after the trani. It dis-connects from it's perch on the transfer case.

P8100064.jpgP8090049.jpgP8090048.jpg

Also found an inline piece hooked up to a line that went to the outside of the air-pak. The po cut it with the engine removal and I'm thinking it is part of the low-air system and I've neglected it on Goose. Learn something new every truck.

P8100074.jpgP8100066.jpg

The mini hoe hoisted the cab easily and I was able to land it softly. Had the big sister and brother-in-law spotting and shouting orders so we had a good team. With everything coming apart easily we bagged up and labelled the goodies and watched the sun-set with the new training, engine test-stand, hungry for G749 parts.

P8100069.jpgP8090050.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Preservation, MVPA, Civil Defense

Old Goose did a 50 mile run this weekend to attend a long awaited airshow. 3 hrs of pre-trip maintenance paid off. I convoyed out of Edmonton with a jeep and command car..........and they'd loose me on a slight incline with Goose dropping to 40mph, but we made it.

airshow 080.jpg

This wasn't like the old airshows where we'd see 16 F-104's flying the diamond.

P8230013.jpg

We staged nice and close to a Mustang and a B-25 and had a blast with absolutely everyone.

airshow 250.jpgairshow 136.jpgairshow 125.jpg

I ran support for the Civil Defense Museum for this trip and we wanted a big flag pole. How do you carry 21' of pole in a deuce? A little out the back, then over the rail and through the mirror. We just rolled the window down a little and could still use the door.

airshow 085.jpgairshow 152.jpgairshow 153.jpg

The effect is clear, big flag poles win.

This trip was far enough away that we thought that staying over-night would be best....and it was. The airport gave us a spot to set up camp so we were the last to leave and the first to get there for the two day show. The MVPA team came prepared with barbecues, stoves, popcorn......and a digital screen projector so we ate and watched movies.

airshow 189.jpgairshow 177.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Edmonton Airshow

The airshow circuit is small up here so the same folks that ran the Whitecourt show in 2012, coordinated this one. In 2012 they made arrangements to Feed and Fuel 65+ MVPA units so I'd say they are simply the best.
airshow 218.jpg

We had the famous TV wing walker show up.

airshow 138.jpg

Then I had the chance meeting with Jamie Davis from the TV series Highway thru ****. http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/highway-thru-****/

It was real cool to hear that he was a fan of Steel Soldiers and they offered up local support for hauling if we ever needed it. They were looking at old Goose when they made the offer so they do know their stuff.

Our fearless CCDMA Civil Defense leader worked hard to set up a tent, artifacts, posters, a poster raffle and we feel like 25,000 people walked through this tent. Fred had an early Civil Defense siren rigged up to a generator and we ran it up several times. Air raid sirens are loud. If you're a facebook fan I'm sure he'll have updates over there. https://www.facebook.com/CanadianCivilDefenceMuseumAsscociation

airshow 121.jpgairshow 217.jpgairshow 147.jpg

Goose was real popular so within reason, I'd let folks climb up and look in. The words 'please don't play with the buttons' can be said 10,000 times in a weekend.

airshow 091.jpg

From high flying bikes to flying wings, what a weekend.

airshow 215.jpgairshow 211.jpgairshow 119.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 shifting

We've had some discussion about a 'slap' shift between 2nd and 3rd in low range so while having an airport under me, I did a little video of Goose's graceful gallop to 4th gear, under 10mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQk3Uwn4A5E

About 15 miles into the return trip Goose was making some bigger noise, so I stopped to check the load in an industrial area on the edge of town. The engine was starting to sputter which doesn't show up in the video but the biggest surprise was the level on the transmission.

airshow 266.jpgairshow 264.jpg

After this run I can say that Lucas seems to have done a great job. The extra high level on the trani dipstick was after about 15 miles at 45 to 50mph of steady running in 75°f temps. Levels were 'on' the full mark during pre-trip but warm up was idle, parked so certainly not as hot as after the short run. Hubs, wheels and axles were cool to the touch and the temp gauge was reading too cool to be real so that's gotta be checked.

While in the quiet industrial area I figured I'd do a little High Range video to listen to the sputter but Goose's performance to 3rd gear in this video is impressive. There is a lag in high range between 2 and 3 and I'm beginning to think by the time the front band wears and needs adjustment, the shift in low range from 2 to 3, is at it's best.

I did not stomp on the throttle for this run. This is a hard feather to 3/4 throttle and hold. I just can't hold Goose to the floor...so I'm a bit of a Goose nurse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRLVuEB1BPc&feature=youtu.be

Goose will need some love after this trip but after getting me home, I'm happy to do it.

Attachments

USMC 00-08

Has your temp gauge always read low like in your first video? My gauge reads just like that if not just a little higher, but when I install a civilian gauge, I am between 190 and 205. I remember the temp gauges in the vehicles I drove in the Marines always read low unless something was burning up and then it would go really high.

Sounds and looks like our trucks shift the same. Hopefully that is a good thing.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Mitchell is PURDY!! What a bird!! Just worked for a retired Navy pilot from the WWII era/Korea...... Had picks of him in his F-4U!! OMGosh.......tryin to schedule a time for coffee and conversation. He speaks German and a smattering of Latin, like the Mass. Also VERY strong hands for being over 90! What a GUY!! THANKS for sharing !!!!

Section8

Been a while since I checked in last. Lots of good reading.
The wheel bearing seals and tranny issues were very interesting.
I had another good look at your engine and tranny sitting here at the Diamond T ranch.
I am thinking the motor is really going to need a rebuild. The frost plugs have a few rust holes in them.
The tranny looks good though. It was nice and dry looking when I pulled it. Very little oil on its skin.
I would assume it is still good as i was told it was still in use before going for scrap.
Too bad you didn't do a full how to video on the cab removal.
Useful info if I ever find another rig to do my crew cab or have to take my present cab off its frame to put on my international donor truck.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too bad you didn't do a full how to video on the cab removal.
Just trying to save myself some embarrassment...... Just play the Benny Hill music and picture me lifting a cab with a mini-hoe. It actually went really well and I'll do it again so.....you're coming??? Bring my transmission and motor..lol.

I found a new re-built transmission but the owner is more secretive than International Dodge Ball. $750.00 is the number for the transmission and Goose gets a new crate engine and a new crate trani.....

Pull out that Irish accent and say, "It's a grrreat day at the G749 farm". After the fire in 2013, everything salvageable got shoved in sea-cans. The 2805-21-942-5088 302 crate engine was deep in the back.

350 g749 001.jpg350 g749 005.jpg350 g749 003.jpg

Today she surfaced and is at the door so that must mean something....we'll see, the nights are getting cold. If nothing else happens this year, we'll at least turn it.

Also had a chance to pull out the 350 and play with some measurements. I have no idea where to start or what I'm doing so it's just play, but we're learning. I'm thinking of dropping the TC and running straight to the forward rear axle for a 2 wheel drive asphalt queen for long distance shows. I'd just love to wheel across the border at better than 3 miles per gallon and still have an Early Deuce wrapped around me. Gotta go through Gunfreak's thread and look at the ratios to re-visit what works After managing this into the frame using heavy equipment, I have a greater level of appreciation for Gunfreak the "New Dad".

350 g749 018.jpg350 g749 014.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
B-25 departure

That Mitchell is PURDY!! What a bird!! Just worked for a retired Navy pilot from the WWII era/Korea...... Had picks of him in his F-4U!! OMGosh.......tryin to schedule a time for coffee and conversation. He speaks German and a smattering of Latin, like the Mass. Also VERY strong hands for being over 90! What a GUY!! THANKS for sharing !!!!
Pappy Boyington and the Corsair are 2 of my favorite things......I better add these departing shots for you.

cel 007.jpg cel 003.jpg

While having great responsibilities, MVPA membership has it's privileges and we get close to the gear so I'll take better pictures next time. I grabbed these photos while rolling to static display as this bird taxied down the closed runway.

cel 005.jpgcel 006.jpg

I nearly needed a man with strong hands after these young bucks jaywalked in front of the truck and then just stood there when I honked the horn. They kept looking back with that 'wanna go' stare so I thought the hockey stick would need to come out. The back roads around the G749 farm just aren't the same so if you ever come to visit, we may need to arm you.

cel 016.jpgcel 015.jpgcel 014.jpgcel 013.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Troubleshooting misfire

Found some time to do some maintenance and troubleshoot the misfire at higher RPM. I hit the parts store for a simple plastic fuel filter that usually hangs on a shelf. Everything in this "Parts Source" has been packaged in cardboard and tucked in the back so the boys had to dig through boxes until they found me a simple plastic fuel filter. I settled for this real nice $6 unit. I'm sure the last one was $2.00.

P8280027.jpgP8280024.jpg

Pulled the distributor cap and was real happy Goose made it to the driveway. The points were wearing a little left of center but at some time in their short life the spring hole split so that must have caused a little slop. The truck was actually running ok with these broken parts so just another testament to the G749.
With the points, distributor cap and rotor being 'perishable' items, it's a good idea to stock up on them when you can. My cap and rotor are still like new but will need to pull out the G749 Parts List for next time.

Check your points folks.

P9050035.jpgP9050033.jpg

USMC 00-08

What good timing that you posted this. I am having issues of my own and am really fighting my truck, which led me to start researching. I'm about tired of fighting the ignition stuff and am seriously looking at converting over to the Pertronix MV-161A. People here on Steel Soldiers are saying some good things about it.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...yl-24-volt-negative-ground-mv-161a/10159888-P

I know this video is not of the MV-161A but the idea is the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVspaKBEGoM

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That conversion looks too easy not to try. We could run civi spark plugs and wires which could keep a few more trucks on the road for a little less doe.

I'm going to spend the next two weeks pullin' horse shoes out of my behind because Goose is a rocket ship again and I'm a lucky dog. The new points came from a genius hoarder here on Steel Soldiers that kept a big harvest of point packages. I bought ten sets off him when the getting was good and guys that save old military parts must have the crystal ball.

P9080036.jpg

They are a 2 piece item and bolted in just right.
Does everyone see that remaining "screw" in the bottom of the distributor?...........where's Another Ahab when a guy needs a red circle drawn around something........

P9050033.jpg

That's not a screw. It's a slotted head with an offset pin under it and acts as a cam to set the gap/dwell on the points. If you're not a mechanic you may try to unscrew this "rivet type" attached slotted head and break it. I was good this time because I broke it last time so unless you have a SuperDave near by, be gentle with this slotted head.

P9050035.jpgP9080039.jpg

You can see how far I had the timing advanced by the heat marks inside the cap. I haven't checked with the timing light but apparently the trucks run good through a wide range of timing. Advancing the timing made Goose happier at idle and snappy off the line but I tamed it back down because with solid points...it's perfect.
m20 cel 005.jpgP9080040.jpg

Also had a chance to check out some frame tops. Unless the stamp is further under the front plate, four trucks don't have the xx-xxxxx.

Attachments

USMC 00-08

That MV-161A is for the M37 and M715. It bolts right into those distributors and eliminates the need for points, etc., and no more need to adjust anything/have anything go out of adjustment. I have an M715 distributor that I am going to compare to the M135 distributor and see if we can make it work. Pertronix sells some distributors we could use if we had to and possibly coils.

On those numbers, check the front bumpers too. That is where my numbers were stamped. I've not located any stamped numbers on the one at the house. The rock guards could be covering them but I am not ready to take them off yet. My other M135 is still 375 miles away. I hope to go get it this fall and will check for numbers.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GMC Hydromatic

My other M135 is still 375 miles away
That sounds like the last line of every verse in a country song. Can I use it?......If you moved 75 miles closer and I used '300 miles away', it would fit better. My other M135,,, is still,,300 miles away.

Click here and listen while we remember our Military and Emergency Service folks that are also hundreds of miles away from their loved ones.

May we all come together soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgnaavPxSmk

Happiness is a NOS Hydromatic.....and knowing those filthy, hoardin' collectors. This NOS came from a collector that preserved the label, blasted the surface, painted it and loaded it in my truck today. He'll probably help me stick it to the NOS motor as well because I suggested we use P/L 400.
Sept. 2015...NOS Hydromatic, preserved.

cel g749 004.jpg cel g749 002.jpg cel g749 019.jpg

These other parts will become available but talk is cheap so until they do, we get pictures. It's still out there.

cel g749 010.jpgcel g749 009.jpgcel g749 008.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 goes to A&W

I usually get a bunch of photos for you folks on the Friday night A&W tour. The weather was spectacular and over 700 vehicles filled several parking lots leaving no daylight to park in.

Goose parked blocks away until the Hot Rodders that are afraid of the dark, fired up and left.

P9110043.jpg

Not sure why this one photo has a ghost running through the picture but it looks kinda cool. I think the camera was on night setting and this is the owner walking over to hit the lights....or it's a ghost. The owner builds movie cars so he's not just a nut with a Police car...or a deuce.

P9110045.jpg

Certainly know what Stallone saw just before he jumped a police car.....where's that Rambo truck when you want it?

P9110046.jpgP9110050.jpgP9110052.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xttQR_yo9BU

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Historical G749 Visit

Our City Archives is located in a building I landscaped 20 years ago. It's one of Edmonton's most impressive military structures and celebrates 100 years, on September 27th.
http://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_events/prince-of-wales-armouries.aspx

I was doing some Dew Line Railway research so Goose and I went to the Archive and check out the trees I planted.
This Oak under the flag is one of my favorites. Oak is not native to the Edmonton area but seem to be staying healthy with a good balance of global warming and conservation.

cel 005.jpg

I'm the first to park in a place that is out of the way so Goose isn't a problem for anyone.

cel 004.jpg

The best spot just happened to be beside a Prius.

That's a 100 year old Canadian military building, a 60 year old Canadian military vehicle next to an import. I'd say that's a historic G749 visit.

cel 002.jpgcel 003.jpg

Section8

Goose looks great as usual.
Been a while since I saw the old armoury. Pretty sure I was there a time or to for some army cadet Corp. functions. Lots of good memories of the old 2733, EME 15th service battalion of the RCACC, Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corp.
Think my brother got married there to, don't remember much from that night.
I am noticing for the first time the differing heights in your cargo bed bows front and rear. Is this normal for the G749 series trucks?
I thought they were even height front to back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks