• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To avoid destroying the bell housing and such trying to remove the tranny you should flip the block over and disassemble the bottom end. Pull the oil pan, split the case, disconnect the piston shafts and remove the crank shaft. That should free up the fly wheel enough to turn the torus so you can remove all the bolts.
Thus saving the bell housing.and adaptor plate.

Sorry about the motor. I should have pulled the head a long time ago to save you the disappointment of finding out that dismal situation.
We both knew going in that you jumped off the top of your beanstock to try and turn the motor over so no surprises here....and no apologies needed. The biggest and best surprise is I took a head off. If you went and did all the work I wouldn't have had a motor to practice on so I see your 6 black-out lights and owe you a cab.

We're going to light up the camping fluid tomorrow and barbecue some hot dogs on it so that should loosen up the pistons enough.

Section8

Engine dogs!
Oh how I miss the good old engine cooking from my running equipment for paving companies and such.
Now I am really hoping that tranny is the gold nugget for you.
Gonna check the trucks for those lights tomorrow and make sure they are all there and waiting for you.
Secrets? I hold no secrets....

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MV Fire Log

How much does that head weigh? I'm going to lose sleep wondering how that carburetor works on these trucks now.
Don't lose sleep,,,,,,,, here......I got you a fire log.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJGHRdAoq4c&feature=youtu.be

It's with a heavy heart that we continue on in the MV hobby with the recent loss of MVPA member Steven Preston and a companion. I didn't know them but my MVPA mates up here spoke very highly of Steve as an innovator and motivator. Our most sincere condolences to the family and friends of these men. The thought of the incident and the loss will be with us forever.

It was a frosty morning at the farm and one of the boys decided that this was the day he'd rescue his 52 jeep that we had stored for him. It was good hanging out with a couple of pros'.

PA280514.jpgPA280511.jpg

The sun was at a good angle so tried for a better shot of the cylinder wall. It was suggested that ice could cause it but there is a 2"x2" chunk knocked in. How does that happen?

PA280519.jpg

Things went well with the rest of the tear-down. I took Section8's lead and pulled the pan. Things look good under there. The bottom of the pistons still shine and it was greasy. After the engine cooled down from the barbecue I filled the cylinders with diesel fuel and we'll let it sit for a while....in a cosy barn, next to Goose.

PA280537.jpgPA280535.jpg

Sorted out a ton of nice parts and found this 5 legged spider in the wiring harness. Not sure where that goes but I'm going to find out. The mirrors fit real nice in the NOS mirror brackets too.

PA280546.jpgPA280533.jpgPA280531.jpg

.....and for those who don't watch videos', I got a fire-log picture for you. It's a 302 GMC in-line 6 burner stove.

PA280539.jpg

Goose got put away under a roof and it was just in time. We've been training the flying Geese to spell the letters SS so when they head down south, you guys know they're our Geese and it's time to pull the Safety Sheets over your Steel Soldiers. They were up practicing just as I pulled in the barn.

PA280524.jpg

Section8

I like the MV fire log. They should play that at Christmas on TV instead of the same old wood logs burning. I would and watch all night!
Those mirrors look fine and dandy! Should look nice and slick on one of your rigs!
USMC 00-08 if remember right you are correct. The five legged spider was right behind the gauges.
Glad to hear that the crank and piston rods look good. Drop the bottom of the piston and hammer out to free the crank and the torus to remove the tranny.

Last edited:

Section8

All right I managed to dig around and find the black out lights.
Instead of 6 I found 7!!!
Though I am not sure you could call them all black out lights.
One is a tail light for sure.
They are all yours M1010plowboy!
Some of the lenses are not in the greatest condition and all of them could use a repaint and possibly new guts.
I may crack them open and see if they are beyond salvaging.
Don't want another embarrassment like the motor.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Black out lights G749 cab

That's real nice Section7....ha....not 6 or 8...it's 7.

I found a lot of lights that were neglected on 16 or so trucks I've touched. It seems like lights were not part of the Post Water Fording PM for some reason. I don't have enough red lenses so a few of those would be handy even if the pots are bad.

Here's the cab we can use for the crew truck if you think it'll work.

PA280548.jpg PA280549.jpg PA280550.jpg PA280551.jpg

I saw another M135?? after I left your place, before the big town of Alvedo(sp??) I only vaguely remember the name because I read it fast and thought it said Albedo, .......had a laugh. It was on the East side ...right side....of the highway and I just caught a view of the roof. It was on a big left hand corner on the highway but couldn't find it again on my favorite satellite map.

If you're up there check it out for us.

Section8

For some reason I can't drag the pics to attach to this post.
That M135 is one of the ones I mentioned to you on your visit. I was set to buy it last winter but the fellow sold it out from under me.
It was used as a bush fire truck post military service.
I had posted pics in my thread a while back. It had a red tanker on the back.
The gentleman that owns it now sold the tank off of it to recoup his money and still wants full price from when it was originally for sale. The engine I missing parts. I remember that much.
The inside of the cab was also filled with bird poop. Lots of bird poop!
When I inquired with the new owner he said he was gonna stick a hiab on it.
Told him to keep me in mind if he changes his mind.
It is located between an area called Birch Island and Avola.
The cab you posted pics of looks great!
After the engine debacle are you sure you wanna sacrifice such a nice looking cab to my project?

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Battery Hold Down Brackets

We decided to swap a fresh pair of batteries into Goose and see if we could get stuck.

The battery height was just a hair taller so fought with the brackets a little.

Moral of the story is, "If you build a battery hold down bracket, make sure your threaded rod is just a wee bit longer than the last battery".

cel farm goose 021.jpgcel farm goose 019.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My good buddy, mister taper and his dogs came out and we tried to get a decent pic of the docs, focused on the master.........but they were excited and just wanted to run.

cel farm goose 018.jpgcel farm goose 014.jpg

......until we started tossing firewood, then they wouldn't get out of the way. I had to get a pic.

cel farm goose 022.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jan. 29, Deuce in Canada, 10° above freezing

What did they say about not stopping on the ice?

cel farm goose 023.jpg

After plowing off a runway, hockey rink and race track I had time to roll Goose out of the barn. I was sure I'd get her stuck because I'm still running front driveshaftless.

Not having the resources handy to pull it out of the lake we kept off the pond for now but she did climb a hill.

cel farm goose 029.jpg

Grabbed a few phone videos so hopefully we can get them uploaded for some entertainment.

cel farm goose 040.jpg cel farm goose 043.jpg cel farm goose 030.jpg cel farm goose 026.jpg cel farm goose 024.jpg

Section8

The G749 farm looks good! Especially like the pic of Goose and Gracie together. The hint of frost on the girls give a them the extra whimsical touch.
Instead of fighting with the battery hold down bracket could I guy swap it out for a small OD ratchet strap or bungee? I know it wouldn't be stock but would save future fights with differing battery sizes. Don't know what I do wrong with my batteries out here but I have to replace them almost every 2 years in my equipment and vehicles.
Did you have any luck tearing the bottom end out of that paper weight I unfortunately sold you? I am very anxious to know if you were able to separate the tranny feom the engine without having to do some cutting.
I want you to get something good out of your trip out this way.
Wonder if a person can pressure check that Master Cylinder I rebuilt cleaned out and reassembled? To see if it makes and hold pressure? Of course it is probably one of those things you would probably have to spend a weekend and swap it out in a rig and try it.

USMC 00-08

I got my truck out for a drive yesterday too, but it was about 70 degrees out. That is sure some pretty country you have up there.

Section 8....I went out last weekend to fire up my truck and the batteries were dead. I think I am going to get one of these to help with that.

Battery Tender.jpg

Section8

USMC 00-08 Way cool! Especially the weather!
The battery tender looks like a good deal! I am planning on getting this solar battery tender, whenever I get a chance to go to the big city an hour and a half away.
It is weather proof and works even in low light conditions. Sells for around 50 bucks.
Fgure I will get one for my tractor first then if it works out good get one for the M135 some day, IF I ever get it running and road worthy.
Think it would look funny mounted on the hood or roof?

Attachments

USMC 00-08

It probably wouldn't be too noticeable on the roof. I like the idea of the solar powered battery tenders best, but down here, we commonly get hail in the early spring/summer and I figured it would destroy the solar panel. Solargizer is the one I looked at and some of the guys on here use them. One guy mounted the panel on the hood of his CUCV and did a real fine job.

Now maybe if we could come up with something for the panel to be housed in to protect if from hail, etc. I've got more thinking to do.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ran across a M135 in a junk yard in Burr Oak Kansas yesterday and as soon as I took the first picture my camera died! It runs and drives but brakes leaked fluid. It also has a wrecker boom in the back. It is for sale but did not ask for how much.
tag.jpg
I went with my buddy to retrieve a strange and rare W500 that was a factory made for the air force short wheel base, 10 lug 900X200 same as a military 5T wheel. Also has air over hyd brakes and the air pack looks like the deuce short style!
pw.jpg pwa.jpg
Came with a dump bed but FD dumped the bed and built the front porch.

Last edited:

Section8

USMC 00-08 I am sure if a fella went to their local glass shop and bought an appropriate sized piece of plexiglass then welded up a frame out of some channel iron,painted OD of course, then sealed with caulking, it would protect it from hail and dirt and debree.
Some one else may have another solution to that problem that would work better. That's just my 2 second thought fix.
Modify at will!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks