• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

1944mb

well that too. I think plowboy is holding out on us! Very cool that you were able to help him, its neat what happens to keep these trucks on the road. I suspect there is many more parts in Canada than the US, since the US military used them for a shorter duration than the Canadian military. Well done!

Juskatla

Back in the day, MILCON summer exercises were held in Ft Lewis, and we would drive all our old stuff down there from British Columbia. They had range targets that were at least in as good condition as our still in service deuces. On a couple occasions there were some sympathetic US Army folks who left more than a few cartons of stuff they no longer needed and thought we should have. On the long road home, we passed some very nice fire trucks and other deuces sitting in a surplus yard somewhere along Pacific Hwy. Today, I would have loved to have had any one of them but they are likely all Honda bumpers by now...
On Vancouver Island, most of the surplus deuces were bought up by one logging company and sent to points on the north island and coast. A few escaped but the rest were worked to death and residue may still be in some of the bone yards up there. Unfortunately, the proximity to China has made scraping a viable business and the US company Schnitzer has pretty much cornered the market by buying up all the scrap businesses up here. They also will not sell anything that has gone through their gate, regardless of how rare or valuable it is. I have seen more than one very decent older machine sitting on their burning pad to be cut up for the trip to the smelter. That's likely why there are few parts dealers in the PNW, as its all sent out as scrap.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those crate engines are normally all sealed up and preserved. What's required to get one up and running?
We had lots of help with keeping this engine rolling. I got it opened up in my shop in 2013 and a pile of boys walked me through a pre-oil process. Catman and the MVPA were partly responsible for creating a pump type pesticide sprayer to push oil through the laughing galleries. Prior to my purchase of the crate 302 in 2013, it was owned by an MVPA nut-ball that pulled the lid each year, removed the spark-plugs, squirted motor oil in the holes and rolled it over by hand.

The new kid on the block....see what I did there?......he's just borrowing it off me and couldn't believe it was all complete when the popped the lid. Nothing to do but glue it on to transmission and go driving. He'll be adding some pictures and video once the panic and first drive is all over......if it works. We actually don't know if it runs but I'm betting that the new kids will have it rolling real soon.

Thats pretty neat, better yet where did you turn one of those crate engines up?
MVPA membership has its privileges! This isn't the last one but it's likely the last one that was turned almost every year since the 80's. I'll dig up some more history on its travels but it came from Eastern Canada. The new kids are going to go through a complete re-build on their block and pop it back in the box. Then they'll decide if it goes in an M211 CDN, a M207 or another M135. The preservation continues!

I want to know where the stash of NOS transmissions are.
I know of a few but they're not going anywhere, yet. It wasn't long ago that I saw them listed at Alpha Heaven http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySection/6x6 Trucks/M135.html#M135TopofPage, Memphis equipment http://www.memphisequipment.com/M135-M211-2-1-2-Ton-6x6-Truck/ and Sam Winer's http://www.samwinermotors.com/ down south but not any more. PM sent.

Several transmissions we've looked at have sat for 3 decades. I'm still working on encouraging a few local guru's to stop trying to make money and put some time into the legs of the G749. I am sure that if the 'market' grows then we'll get some more help. The real problem is that we can't make money with the trucks so all the effort of putting big doe into saving a G749 Steel Soldier is about heart, not logic. I stopped being logical.

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

Several transmissions we've looked at have sat for 3 decades. I'm still working on encouraging a few local guru's to stop trying to make money and put some time into the legs of the G749. I am sure that if the 'market' grows then we'll get some more help. The real problem is that we can't make money with the trucks so all the effort of putting big doe into saving a G749 Steel Soldier is about heart, not logic. I stopped being logical.
Very well said. I wish more people would understand this and get a little more reasonable on their asking prices. I am confident that I will never recoup the money I have in mine, but the enjoyment the truck gives me is worth it within reason.

Just don't tell my wife we'll never get all our truck money back.

SturmTyger380

You are right. I have a few Jeeps too. But when I started with the M211s I figured I would not even get back what I invested.

There are still parts out there but other than us folk there is not much love for them.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generator Polarizing

Where are my Polarizing electrical gurus that have put a new generator on their MV? I'm offering support to the 55 M135 kids from afar so told them I'd post the question.

The generator came with a 'crate' engine, re-built in the 80's. I just want to be sure that this little polarizing ritual on page 285 is needed.

P5250024.jpg

What happens if a guy....or girl....just hooks things up and turns the key?

I see that the process is supposed to give "momentary surge of battery current to flow through field windings which automatically gives generator the correct polarity with respect to batteries". I think I get it, but I also thought I only farted......but pooped my pants.

We've been too busy to help the 55 M135 boys but they're ready to roll that beast over real soon, pics coming that don't show the old engine falling out.

P5170005.jpg

Meanwhile I've been working in the mud around some wee and cheap toys at the Alberta Rail Museum. If you guys don't get a rail forum started, you should come up and check this place out.

P5210018.jpgP5210017.jpgP5200014.jpg

Working on brakes, better gauges and watched the last cab leave the driveway for "Operation Plowshare", whatever that is.

cel 004.jpgcel 003.jpgP5170003.jpg

.......and generally just pulling my chain.

P5250021.jpg

Another Ahab

USMC 00-08

Where are my Polarizing electrical gurus that have put a new generator on their MV? I'm offering support to the 55 M135 kids from afar so told them I'd post the question.The generator came with a 'crate' engine, re-built in the 80's. I just want to be sure that this little polarizing ritual on page 285 is needed.
I have Bob Kettler's Tech Tips that talks about that. I will look it up when I get home and get back with you if you don't figure it out before then.

Section8

I was told my the guy who rebuilt my generator for my 1954 Farmall tractor that if the generator was new or re spoiled it needed to be spun up with a Smaller electric motor or he said a power drill with a socket on the end works well.
If the generator was spun in the wrong direction the polarity would be reversed and would basically make the generator ineffective.
Something about the magnetic fields in the coil being in the proper polarity to effectively charge the batteries.
I may be incorrect on this since it was 6 years ago i was told that.
Plowboy, when are you gonna have an old steam engine at the farm?!!
Where I used to live, down by Penticton, there is still an old steamer in service every summer. It is used to haul tourists around on the old KVR rail line. Think it's a 4 hour tour. Never had the chance to go but as with most things I like the old steam engine far better than the diesel/ generator train of today.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just heard the boys went to look at a NOS generator with the ABC label still intact and did it as per the book. I'm wondering if the drill bit on the pulley nut would do the same thing because we're just telling the magnets who is Positive and who will be pessimistic.

Bob K sure knew these trucks so anything we can learn from tech tips is clearly going to be correct. I must go see this thing run so if anyone asks why I'm not at work.....it's because it's too wet!

Get the family up to KLM Section, we walked the Kelowna portion a few years back and those pioneers had some crazy visions. The curved bridges and tunnels are still there and the view to the lake is panoramic in a few spots. It seems like everywhere I go, you've already broken trail for me.

As for the Rail Museum, nearly everything is on-line but we need to be there for the smell, feel and sounds of the railyard. Hoping to do an MVPA / CCDMA event there this year yet so we'll keep you posted. This current "Switching yard" led right to the Military Base and the Ammo bunkers and was part of SAC a long time ago.
http://www.albertarailwaymuseum.com/virtual-tour.html
http://www.albertarailwaymuseum.com/galleries.html
http://www.albertarailwaymuseum.com/video.html
http://www.albertarailwaymuseum.com/our-collection.html

USMC 00-08

Tech Tips says...

TECH TIP: POLARIZING GENERATOR
Whenever the generator or voltage regulator
is disconnected the generator must be polarized.
Failure to do this will result in a NO-CHARGE
condition and possible DAMAGE to the generator.
Disconnect the wiring harness cable at the
generator. Use a jumper wire connected to "B"
terminal of the generator and flash it to the
POSITIVE terminal of the RIGHT battery (starter
motor side of firewall). This momentary surge
of current will polarize the generator windings.
Re-connect generator cable.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New G749 302 crate engine start-up

The boys kept trying to get the crate engine running today with no luck. After the typical trouble-shooting they found a coil issue so they called me up to see if we had a spare coil. They had one on the 'take-out' engine but it was already boxed up so we looked around and couldn't help them, so they un-crated and borrowed the coil.

Gizmo and Goose are parked about 12 or so miles from the 1955 build site so we decided to convoy over and encourage the 55' to get with the convoy program.

P5260046.jpg P5260026.jpg P5260049.jpg

When we arrived the boys were still turning her over with no luck. We weren't there for more than 5 minutes when the 302 took a look at the other two trucks and came to life like a well oiled sewing machine.

P5260028.jpgP5260025.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsyrKgv41GI&feature=youtu.be

After a warm up and topping up a few fluid levels, it was time to see if she'd roll. First out the driveway, then around the crescent to go through some gear changes.....it works. Still a few odd noises coming out of the truck when rolling but all that's left is the transfer case TC and we have a few of those around.

P5260043.jpgP5260044.jpg

So here is Goat, Goose and Gizmo hanging out together for the first time. What a rush!

P5260041.jpg

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Talk about Preservation!!!!! The kids building Goat, the 55 M135, sent me pictures of the new exhaust system they just got back. They decided that paint won't last 50 years so all the pipes and cover got a "Ceramic Coating" treatment. The can use enamel over the cover to match the 24087 color but these guys are going all out to make this thing last.

cel 009.jpg

After our convoy yesterday, Gizmo didn't want to leave Goat and her brakes wouldn't release. Anticipating the air-pak was tired, we drained the tanks and A/P and the brakes pulled away from the drums. We managed to nurse Gizmo back to the motor-pool and pulled the NOS air-pak out of the parts bin. Once we started pulling plugs and adding fittings, we found one plug was made out of aluminum. It was the victim of galvanic corrosion and was basically welded into the hole.

cel 002.jpgcel 001.jpg

Fortunately, Gizmo's Lowner knows his stuff and managed to pull out bits of aluminum and chase the NPT threads with the proper tap. I was on-board to pass tools, hold the drip tray and try different size chunks of dirt and fluid spray behind the safety glasses. What a PITA to do an R&R on a 60 year old air-pak.....two hours later and we still need to get one more fitting in and bleed her tomorrow.

cel 004.jpg
Mechanics must be one of the most patient species on the planet! :beer: Here's another toast to mechanics.

Last edited:

1944mb

Talk about Preservation!!!!! The kids building Goat, the 55 M135, sent me pictures of the new exhaust system they just got back. They decided that paint won't last 50 years so all the pipes and cover got a "Ceramic Coating" treatment. The can use enamel over the cover to match the 24087 color but these guys are going all out to make this thing last.

thats awesome! Where did they have that done, and was it expensive? Looks like they came out really nice!

Mechanics must be one of the most patient species on the planet!

We are till we're not!

USMC 00-08

Are you positive there is not a check valve in the master cylinder too? I've been hearing talk that doubled up check valves can cause brakes not to release as well.
0927151803.jpg0927151804.jpg

Mine had them doubled up. It should be like this. Since our check valve is in the airpak.
100_2671.jpg

Those exhaust parts look great!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dog Rump Pond, that's right Dog Rump.

This was a first for me so after bleeding Gizmo to death, we headed into Stony Plain to the Wednesday night 'cruise night' at Dog Rump Pond, dog rump pond..dog rump. Gizmo and Goose certainly turn heads when they're in convoy.
http://www.stonyplainreporter.com/events/863508

The failure to release brakes symptom on Gizmo the M135CDN was solved with a NOS air-pak.

Goose needed a bath before the big parade on Saturday so I hung out with the Stony cruisers before dropping $27.00 at the car wash. We replaced 1 wheel cylinder after sitting for most of the winter so I'm just hoping we can nurse her to a few more parades in support of the local legions.

A few pics from Dog Rump pond, Dog Rump.....pond.

cel dog rump 004.jpg cel dog rump 003.jpg cel dog rump 005.jpg cel dog rump 010.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks