• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a hint and another question. How thick is the wood runner between the bed and truck frame? OK here's your hint:
Sorry Galz and Guyz I like guessing games!
Did you get your measurement yet? I'm away from the trucks so telling you they're 4 inches would be wrong. Using you as an excuse to go see the trucks is viable. Hidden gin poles on the back to load the quad would be handy!

gentrysgarage

Did you get your measurement yet? I'm away from the trucks so telling you they're 4 inches would be wrong. Using you as an excuse to go see the trucks is viable. Hidden gin poles on the back to load the quad would be handy!
Not yet, but I think the wood was 1 1/2 to 2 I had some pieces of it but the wife thought it was termite infested and tossed it out for me. The design right now has the option of the poles in a trough (sp it doesn't quite look right) beside the wheel well or under the bed along frame rails or above the frame rails and beside to the outside of a 3 inch wood runner between bed and frame. The last one is the best for a nice bed. A M211 would have a few more options.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goes earns more stripes.

There's been so much going on we'll never catch up so let's start with today. Goose earned some stripes and a medal today.

Who's the guy that made up that saying...."No good deed goes unpunished?".

A neighbour from the farm calls last night, a little sad, a little humbled, says his dozer is a little stuck. I do the math, grab the Gentry's Garage lucky deuce shirt and head out today to evaluate. I do the math again, Dozer, 35,000 lbs, Goose 12,000, Alberta Loon manure suction on the Dozer and the pull area is covered in it. The dozer has a 6 way blade so I head to the G749 farm to grab the 70G chain that never breaks unless it's correctly mounted over the edge of a dozer blade just right. We couldn't get a tractor to the dozer because the farmers are a little busy, they're big enough to do the job, they're just busy.

tractor19.jpg

I gave Goose a look over and tell her if she doesn't start we'll stay in the barn. Brake fluid is down an ounce, the radiator down a quart, motor down a half quart, diffs are good, trans and TC are right at the mark, Goose fires like a champ. We take the short drive down the gravel road, over the hill and not far away at all.

P6020037.jpg

Goose backs in through the sloppy road....I heard a guy hit the TC with a hammer but the way Goose backed in through the mud, I'm sure it was the Sprag kicking in.

P6020029.jpgP6020027.jpg

We back up to a tree .....right on the strongest point.....and we use Goose and the tree as an anchor. The boys stretched the chain / strap combo tight and we use the 6 way on the blade to pull the dozer ahead a few inches at a time. We gained a lot of distance and almost had the dozer out when the strap end broke.

P6020019.jpgP6020025.jpg

You'd think that would scare a few guys but not these guys, no sir. These guys do recoveries all the time and must have hurt a few people because the "clear" word comes out from everywhere and everyone scrambles in the bush behind trees. No one likes using chain but it was the heaviest tugging, longest distance, "exploding schrap" gear we had. After re-hooking and trying again, it is a good thing the only one 'ever' within detonation distance was the dozer operator. The last link on the chain grabbed the sharp edge of the dozer blade and split like a banana.

P6020030.jpgP6020035.jpg

By now I'm thinking Goose starts way too easy but my neighbour borrowed the dozer from another friend and really needed to give it back tomorrow. I agree to give it one more try. We realign Goose just right so she slides sideways on the tree, off to the edge of the bumper and collapses the little support plate holding it all together.

I'll grab a better picture of the 3/4 inch bolt that pulled through and split the heavy plate bumperette but over all, it's just a scratch. Goose performed amazing and we didn't even break the LED lens. I loaned the neighbour another 50 feet of chain and suggested he hang some rubber tires over them if he tries it again, just before he opened a beer. Still waiting to hear if he got it out.

P6020016.jpgP6020031.jpggoobumper.jpggoosbump.jpg

Attachments

1944mb

By now I'm thinking Goose starts way too easy but my neighbour borrowed the dozer from another friend and really needed to give it back tomorrow. I agree to give it one more try. We realign Goose just right so she slides sideways on the tree, off to the edge of the bumper and collapses the little support plate holding it all together.
Look at goose's step bumper! Dozer man owes, and way more than just a beer

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stuck in the Muck

Hey folks, good news, this just in, the Dozer is out!

dozer out.jpg

Not long ago I got stuck in muck that never was muck before. A new wet area appeared, I found it and needed a soldier B to help get me out. I walked the half mile, uphill, to get Goose before heading to the nearest neighbour. I chose the 70 year old neighbour because of his sense of adventure, 6' 3" frame, sore knees and long arms that would make it most difficult to wheel the 6x6 around. We also had a bobcat on the farm so I decided I would drive the Bobcat and show my neighbour how to drive Goose.

He was doing me huge favor and sure enough, as he's trying to get Goose around a tight and slippery corner, his big elbows got in the way and he hit my 6x6, with a 6x6.

The fender lines up nice with the box rail, the bumper with the tire, and everything stopped when it got to the fuel tank. The pics are a little grainy but you get the idea.

P4011877.jpgKIMG1137.jpggeobang.jpggebang.jpggoobang.jpggoosebump.jpg

We eventually got the truck out some time after dark, no one hurt and the Deuce is one tough truck, it's just a scratch.

P4011881.jpgP4011885.jpg

Another Ahab

Great post, plowboy, thanks for the fun.

Now that Game of Thrones is all shot, the Adventures of Goose just might be my new show!

Maybe you could spread out the details and stretch the posts. I got to do something with all the popcorn around here...

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great post, plowboy, thanks for the fun.

Now that Game of Thrones is all shot, the Adventures of Goose just might be my new show!

Maybe you could spread out the details and stretch the posts. I got to do something with all the popcorn around here...
. ROFLMAO!! (Smililies ain’t working for some reason)

Terrh

Jeez Dave, you're making me jealous! I miss ya lots. So many adventures I'm missing out on. I probably coulda got my truck stuck too. Great picture of the ole van from back in the winter, glad to see it's still alive.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spring 2019, late start to Canada Day

Finally got the chance to get some hay cut for the pasture herd and grabbed a few pics of some remarkable damage to Goose. The grass is so tall even the 5 ton can't keep up with grazing.

P6300122.jpg P6290095.jpgP6300132.jpg

We're real wet so the crops are up, gardens are pushing hard and we just need a little temperature increase to warm up the soil.

P6300124.jpgP6300133.jpg P6300128.jpgP6300130.jpg

Goose got lucky being rear ended by a tree and a dozer. The previous owner hung the 6x6 steel bumper from a heavy C channel, bolted to the bumperettes, then gusseted with a chunk of 1/4 inch looking plate.

The side gusset plate is supposed to look like this.

P6300105.jpg

Not this

P6300106.jpg

It's interesting how the bumper split like that. Where's my engineer buddy? I'd like to see the calculations on that damage.

P6300102.jpgP6300108.jpg

Here's a shot of the heavy C channel and its new curve.

P6300104.jpgP6300115.jpg

The biggest scratch is on the corner of the tailgate. Besides a little lumber up the tail light butt, Goose did ok.

P6300111.jpg

P6300110.jpg

I'll get Goose fixed up but in the meantime I'm keeping real busy helping a fellow Steel Soldier as he gets ready for Canada Day celebrations today.

This flag brings some pretty cool representation north of the border. I'll just bet it's a little tribute to the cross border agreements and a quiet thank you to the firefighters that came north to help us stomp out some fires.

P6300140.jpg

""""""Published Wednesday, June 5, 2019 2:01PM MDT Last Updated Wednesday, June 5, 2019 6:33PM MDT About 100 of the best firefighters in the United States arrived in Edmonton Wednesday morning.
They’re part of five elite hotshot crews from Montana ready to help battle the wildfires raging across parts of northern Alberta.
“Highly organized, very skilled, lots of experience and very dependable and efficient firefighting force,” said Shawn Borgen, superintendent of the Flathead Hotshot crew."""""""""

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/about-100-elite-u-s-firefighters-help-battle-alberta-wildfires-1.4453323

1944mb

I'm guessing that took a little bit of force to crack out that bumperette-shame, shame dozer man!

We have been pretty wet-7" of moisture since april, and since average moisture per year is 12-15" thats pretty good. We have lots of grass, but look out when it dries out, lots of fuel to burn. We'll be needing you guys to come south and help out. We had quite a bit of smoke from Alberta awhile back, but none as of lately.

When does Goose's battle scars get repaired?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quite the impact.......................never was one to like lumber up my tail-light outlet!!! EEEEKkkkkkkkkk! Looked painful and I just won't go there!!

Keep us informed on repairs and other adventures!!

Fire doesn't know ANY border!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WWII Veteran visits G749 farm

My good friend is lucky enough to have his 97 year old Dad around still and today this WW11 Veteran paid a visit to the G749 farm. He's still sharp, has a good memory of a busy life and spent a bit of time just gazing at Goose. "Wish we had these when I was in". "Everything had a stick shift".

peter t.jpg

Goose has been parked since the stuck in the muck bumper incident but once again, the ol' girl came to life and didn't miss a beat. Peter was a medic in WW11 and I thought we better get the trucks lined up and ready for inspection.
Goose pulled while soldier B made sure we were lined up just right.

P9140456.jpgP9140453.jpgP9140454.jpg

and we pushed until we had the trucks in one spot ready for inspection.

P9140455.jpgP9140457.jpgP9140460.jpgP9140466.jpg

It was a busy day around the farm with the thought that cutting the Barley Oats mix would be a good idea. Still need a name for this green feed crop that was only supposed to be Oats. We can't call it Boats because that's already taken, Oatley, and Oarley might work. The Barley crop last year got hammered with snow right around this time last year. Some of it got picked up but most of it was too flat to grab. The experts in the lab had a sample of the seeds and were sure it wouldn't grow, so Oats were planted this spring. Gives us a nice camo crop.

P9140445.jpgP9140446.jpgP9140449.jpgP9140447.jpg

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just add hops! And ya have "Beer-ly".....

Nice "pass in review" for the Vet and the trks....

NICE ya took the time for AND with Peter!! Well done Sir, well done indeed!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks