• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GA to OK in BFR's/Papabear's/Patracy's Deuce.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes I drove the truck to the rally and back twice with out a issue. I would install new fuel filters, other then that can not think of anything else.
Filters ordered. I'm also going to send him home with a spare set. As well as a "care package". (Gear oil, Oil, Water, Wheel bearings, grease, exc.)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you on the way to my rescue when you tipped over? If so you missed a heck of a cookout.

Cribbing. Once must always travel with cribbing......unless you have a knuckleboom with outriggers. FYI, with the outrigger extended, you can lift either the front or the back of the truck by extending the k-boom either out the front or back.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes Kenny, I was in the unimog firetruck to try to help rescue your unimog. Obviously I was unaccustomed to the superior steering that a unimog has resulting in the flip over.

I assume that you simply mistakenly deployed the mosquito repellent system on yours?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Kenny, I was in the unimog firetruck to try to help rescue your unimog. Obviously I was unaccustomed to the superior steering that a unimog has resulting in the flip over.

I assume that you simply mistakenly deployed the mosquito repellent system on yours?
It broke down. All I did was hit the flasher button. I can't believe how efficient the warning system works. Every vehicle on the street crossed over to the other side and gave me a wide berth and emergency crews were there in what seemed like seconds. If only deuces had such a superior warning system.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Were you on the way to my rescue when you tipped over? If so you missed a heck of a cookout.

Cribbing. Once must always travel with cribbing......unless you have a knuckleboom with outriggers. FYI, with the outrigger extended, you can lift either the front or the back of the truck by extending the k-boom either out the front or back.
Actually you don't even need the K-boom to lift the truck. When Ron had the flat on the rear we just put cribbing under the outrigger and lifted the whole side of the truck...no jack required.:beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is so much you can do with the crane and outriggers. If one made a list it would stretch from OK to GA.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You do not have to adjust your route but just try to keep Murphy off your back while you are near Memphis.

A long as you are 15-20 miles from the center of town you will prob be OK. West Memphis has several truck stops where the fuel is a little cheaper than TN (or used to be when I was trucking). Take the southern route around town. It's quicker coming the way you will be headed and as soon as you cross into West Memphis there are fuel stops and food joints with truck parking.
If you can make it to west Arkansas that would be a good days travel and a good place to layover when headed back with the deuce.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We've driven that truck nearly half that distance with zero issues. (To the GA Rally and back). I think she will make it but I wouldn't push her too hard as said above.
Yes I drove the truck to the rally and back twice with out a issue. I would install new fuel filters, other then that can not think of anything else.
This makes me feel better about driving it so far home.

On the trip home close all the windows in the Deuce and then crack the passenger side windshield window about 4 inches.

Trust me, along with everyone else who has done it. Recovry4x4 mentioned it to me along with gimpy and others and it works. I ran my 813 in June in the heat and the 250 will cook you in the cab up through the shifter hole without it. Putting the door windows down or opening the vents does not help (at all).

Enjoy the trip. My first Deuce recovery was 350 miles all in one day. I still smile about it.
I'll keep this in mind. Hopefully it won't be TOO hot on the way back. If it stays low 90's it won't be bad.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Filters ordered. I'm also going to send him home with a spare set. As well as a "care package". (Gear oil, Oil, Water, Wheel bearings, grease, exc.)
Thank you! I'll reimburse you for it. I'll try to pick up belts and radiator hoses this week. Already ordered turn signal bulbs. I was going to bring oil, water, grease, etc., but if don't need to, there'll be more room for Warthog's stuff. :p

You do not have to adjust your route but just try to keep Murphy off your back while you are near Memphis.

A long as you are 15-20 miles from the center of town you will prob be OK. West Memphis has several truck stops where the fuel is a little cheaper than TN (or used to be when I was trucking). Take the southern route around town. It's quicker coming the way you will be headed and as soon as you cross into West Memphis there are fuel stops and food joints with truck parking.
If you can make it to west Arkansas that would be a good days travel and a good place to layover when headed back with the deuce.
That's what I was hoping to do - make it between Memphis and Little Rock the first day. Do you know of any place along there that's good to stop?

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've read the road trip/recovery posts mentioned here and a bunch of others. Those of you that are driving home GL trucks sight-unseen are a lot braver then I am. I would only attempt that if my chase vehicle was big enough to tow it home if something went wrong. But, I guess that's what makes it an adventure.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember this. Lows 90s outside means a 120+ degree cab with all the engine heat coming in through holes and bare sheet metal. The open windshield and closed vents and doornglass pressurizes the cab and send air out of all the holes. The crew here leaves no one stranded for long, just enjoy the ride.

gunsgreg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in Fort Smith, AR on I40 on the OK line. I'm a trucker and believe what the boys said about the Memphis area. Little Rock can be a little unsafe as well. However, out of those areas it's pretty good on I40. You get in Arkansas and over my way PM me if I can help you.

Greg

choll

i stopped in Memphis on a trip from Chicago to Las Vegas, Nv in my 1009. While the truck was parked in the hotel lot someone during the night stole the windshield wipers. Naturally it was raining when I wanted to leave.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in Fort Smith, AR on I40 on the OK line. I'm a trucker and believe what the boys said about the Memphis area. Little Rock can be a little unsafe as well. However, out of those areas it's pretty good on I40. You get in Arkansas and over my way PM me if I can help you.

Greg
I really appreciate the offer! PM sent.

i stopped in Memphis on a trip from Chicago to Las Vegas, Nv in my 1009. While the truck was parked in the hotel lot someone during the night stole the windshield wipers. Naturally it was raining when I wanted to leave.
It's official, I'm not stopping anywhere near Memphis!

From Webster's:

Adventure - some poor SOB a long way away in a **** of a jam.
Sounds about right!

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Thursday morning. Hoping to get to Patracy's about 7:00-8:00PM, visit a bit, get settled up, and go over the truck. Head out as early as we can Friday morning and see how far we get that day.

I have a big list of tools and stuff I'm going to take along. I'll try to post it tomorrow for y'alls input.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Yes, Thursday morning. Hoping to get to Patracy's about 7:00-8:00PM, visit a bit, get settled up, and go over the truck. Head out as early as we can Friday morning and see how far we get that day.
I have a big list of tools and stuff I'm going to take along. I'll try to post it tomorrow for y'alls input.
I would ask you to stop in here so I could say goodbye (again) to the ole girl and to show you our junk but we will be leaving out early Thursday and won't be back til late Sunday.

Good luck with the truck and prayers for a safe trip.:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks