• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ga (Warner Robbins) to NH

xmission

Hi All,

I just bought two deuces that I need to get to NH if possible. I;d be interested in quotes from anyone who might do this.

Thanks

Dan

nhdiesel

If you want help driving them back I'd be up for it! Although fuel for 2 Deuces that far wouldn't be much less than hiring it done. A towbar would make it slick though.

Jim

xmission

If you want help driving them back I'd be up for it! Although fuel for 2 Deuces that far wouldn't be much less than hiring it done. A towbar would make it slick though.

Jim
Thanks very much, that's a very generous offer. If it comes down to it, you can drive the one with heat :)

The towbar idea hadn't occurred to me. Is there a specific type that would need to be used?

Any flakes up there yet? (I'm in the lower third, Francestown)

Dan

wb1895

I would recomend Hotshots Trans co. out of NC. Eric picked up my deuce and was as professional as they come!!! His rates were VERY reasonable. If you call ask for Eric carleson.

xmission

I would recomend Hotshots Trans co. out of NC. Eric picked up my deuce and was as professional as they come!!! His rates were VERY reasonable. If you call ask for Eric carleson.

Thank, I'll give him a call.

nhdiesel

You can buy the "medium tow bar" (gov't version) or build your own, as my father did for a 5-ton recovery. He might even let you use his...he's Beaubeau on here. I like to do my own recoveries because I enjoy it, and its part of the Deuce-buying experience. Obviously if you don't have the time and can afford a professional job, it isn't always worth it.

Yea, we have had the white stuff. Saw it in the mountains yesterday. Luckily now in my yard yet, but it could be any day.

Oh...and why couldn't this recovery be headed south instead? I'm going to have to do a recovery from Louisville, it would have saved me from having to decide how to get there (fly or drive).

Jim

Thanks very much, that's a very generous offer. If it comes down to it, you can drive the one with heat :)

The towbar idea hadn't occurred to me. Is there a specific type that would need to be used?

Any flakes up there yet? (I'm in the lower third, Francestown)

Dan

xmission

You can buy the "medium tow bar" (gov't version) or build your own, as my father did for a 5-ton recovery. He might even let you use his...he's Beaubeau on here. I like to do my own recoveries because I enjoy it, and its part of the Deuce-buying experience. Obviously if you don't have the time and can afford a professional job, it isn't always worth it.
I'd really like to drive them back, just a little worried about both of them making it all of the way, but if I had a tow bar it would solve it unless they bot died :)

Would you happen to have pics of your dad's bar? I'm set to fab stuff up as needed.

I'll look for the med gov version on line.

Yea, we have had the white stuff. Saw it in the mountains yesterday. Luckily now in my yard yet, but it could be any day.
We usually get a good dusting about the second week of October. Haven't seen anything yet, but it's hit freezing a few mornings already.

Oh...and why couldn't this recovery be headed south instead? I'm going to have to do a recovery from Louisville, it would have saved me from having to decide how to get there (fly or drive).
Life is just that way :)

nhdiesel

No pic, he's about 2 1/2 hours from me, but he made it to fit into the tow points on a 5-ton. Anyone know if those have the same spread as a Deuce?

Its no work of art, but it got a 5-ton from PA to NH. Its not like fabbing one up is difficult anyway, especially if you plan to use it for a SPECIFIC vehicle model, and don't need it to be adjustable. I looked into making one to tow my Durango back behind the Deuce, most expensive part was going to be the large lunette eye.

Jim

lavarok

xmission - do you already own a deuce? Do you know how to work on them?

The reason I ask is that of the two trucks I just got from Warner, only one runs thus far and it has no brakes. SO, keep in mind that yours may or may not run and may or may not need a little TLC to make them road worthy.

Transport of two trucks is more cost effective than transport of one. Two trucks should fill the trailer and then you can alot the cost between the two.

Of the 6 self recoveries I have done, I did have one instance where I drove 800 miles with the intent to drive the truck back home and ended up having to get it towed when I couldn't get it running. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

lavarok

lava, 6016 didn't run like it was advertised?
Not yet. Might have ran when turned in, but the sludge has plugged the fuel system. Unleaded seems to dissolve the sludge fairly well. I put 5 gallons in yesterday and drained it this afternoon. I then put 5 more gallons in which will sit overnight until I can get there tomorrow and change all the filters, clean the in tank pickup, and flush the lines. Hopefully, she will be running by tomorrow night.

xmission

lavarok:

These are my first deuces, and I have not worked on them before. I'm weighing my options on wether to drive one or both home, or have them shipped.

So far the lowest quote is $2150 to ship them (including picking them up etc., which seems reasonable, but I do enjoy 2 or 3 days of hell once in a while, and am considering the drive along with a brother or friend or two. The tow bar idea is intriguing, if I could get one running well enough to tow the other a few hours north, I could spend a day or so screwing with them at my dad's place to see if I could get them road worthy. Worst case I could have them shipped from there.

What do you think?

Dan

velociT

Not yet. Might have ran when turned in, but the sludge has plugged the fuel system. Unleaded seems to dissolve the sludge fairly well. I put 5 gallons in yesterday and drained it this afternoon. I then put 5 more gallons in which will sit overnight until I can get there tomorrow and change all the filters, clean the in tank pickup, and flush the lines. Hopefully, she will be running by tomorrow night.
Nice.

Biodiesel is also an excellent solvent FWIW.

lavarok

if I could get one running well enough to tow the other a few hours north, I could spend a day or so screwing with them at my dad's place to see if I could get them road worthy. Worst case I could have them shipped from there.

What do you think?

Dan
If you have family close by and can stage from there, then go for it. You might find a GA member that can help you get the trucks to your dad's house. Or worst case, you can pay a professional to take them there. I just hope your dad has some space for them and doesn't live in a deed restricted community! Whatever you do, be safe. If your using a tow bar, make sure you have safety chains and lights. Safety first. If it was me, I would probably have them hauled. 1200+ miles is a long trip in an unknown vehicle and you will have two to worry about.

Nice.

Biodiesel is also an excellent solvent FWIW.
Yes - I usually run B20 in all my trucks.

Last edited:

xmission

If you have family close by and can stage from there, then go for it. You might find a GA member that can help you get the trucks to your dad's house. Or worst case, you can pay a professional to take them there. I just hope your dad has some space for them and doesn't live in a deed restricted community!

He lives in the woods. No close neighbors.

Are you heading to WR tomorrow? If you happen to be near 6011 and 6000 would you mind casting your eyes that way to see how they look in real life?

lavarok

lava, on the trucks you plan to keep, do you recommend switching to the twist on fuel & oil filters?
I haven't installed the oil "spin-on" adapters or filters on any of my trucks. From what I have read, I believe there are merits to them. I just haven't been able to justify the cost. I also have quite a few trucks so if I did them all it would be very costly!

However, I do have the primary fuel spin-on from John Tennis on my winch truck. I was looking to purchase a new canister assembly and decided to give the spin-on a try. Craftsmanship is A+ and it works perfectly with a very easy installation.

There are guys on here that swear by the oil filter spin-on, search for the threads and you will find a wealth of info. There are guys that have been in this hobby alot longer than me that will be able to give you a better opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks