• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gama gama hey!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The new motor we just installed has the same instantaneous start as the old one did so if yours isn't then there's probably a fuel leak down somewhere in the system.

JR Scout

Thanks- yeah judging by the pictures combat32 sent of a stock set up, it looks like my cold start system has had some 'field mods' applied. Getting a quart or so of water out of the fuel filters has already helped some. God love those old diesel engines.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tf-9 6099

So does someone know where to find old military training films?
TF-9 6099 from 1978 would be nice to have in better condition.
But be careful if you watch it, as it contains some pretty suggestive sequences. :)

View attachment GoatTng.wmv

combat32

The moral of this story seems to be thinking about disco dancing while driving a goat will kill you! All you old guys get that out of yer head before driving!:naner:

Way cool video I wonder if someone could find a better copy. Also wonder if that was my truck that Private Steve dumb azz wrecked!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The moral of this story seems to be thinking about disco dancing while driving a goat will kill you! All you old guys get that out of yer head before driving!
Just thinking about disco is enough to make someone try and kill themselves.

combat32

I found it! At a place called vintage video store, I ordered the cd we will see if it is better quality, if so I will upload it here.

They had no other goat videos but lots of others, M715, m151 and on and on

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So as to not hi-jack RICKSHAWSAUTO's Cargo Cover thread, I will post the cargo bow info up here.

m38inmaine is getting dimensions on the bows and a trace of the bend between the upright and the horizontal section.
bow measurement.jpg
He also mention the bow was made from 1-1/16" steel tubing, with the bottom 24" on each side being rectangular in shape. I had thought there were rectangular tabs that were welded to the base of the bows, so they would insert into the bow pockets. Learned something new.

So today, I took a look at a piece of 1" EMT from "The Home Despot", it measures 1-1/16" OD with a 0.070" wall. When the conduit is pinched in a vise, then hammered with a small sledge hammer, it easily forms a rectangular shape.

And guess what?

That piece of now rectangular tubing will slide into the bow-pocket in the wall of the gama goat cargo bed.

Here are the pix to prove it.

IMG_20160109_172550.jpgIMG_20160109_172218.jpgIMG_20160109_172130.jpg

One step closer to bows for everyone.

m38inmaine

I have the bow with me today and will be tracing it out, will send the tracing out within a day or two, good job. 24" was just a guess, I'll put the exact dimensions on the tracing.

UPDATE: Trace is finished, I traced the entire bow on a large piece of brown craft paper and I added the dimensions right on the trace, will ship out ASAP.

Shipped today Priority Mail

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found out why there has been such a flurry of Gama Goat activity this year.

2015-year-of-the-goat_23-2147500363.jpgyear_of_the_goat_colouring_card_460_1.jpgHow could 1,393,783,836 people be wrong?

Year of the Monkey begins in Feb. 2016, So all of you non-goat herders still have time...

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More measurements

Would someone want to post up some more measurements?
This time on the racks on the cargo section.
Are the two horizontals the same length?
From a 5T troop seat section it looks as though the uprights/stakes are 2.75"x1".
racks.jpg
Thanks.
Tony

m38inmaine

I can get the measurements when I get home after work. Muttparts has them new for $45 each, they are aluminum and are very light so shipping would not be too bad.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, MuttParts is a bust.
Said it would be cheaper to drive from WA to AL, with hotels, than to ship them due to length. Oil Well.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, MuttParts is a bust.
Said it would be cheaper to drive from WA to AL, with hotels, than to ship them due to length. Oil Well.
Sorry but I call BS on that. I ship Deuce cab reinforcements all th time. They weigh 3x as much as the carrier racks and are about the same length (I'll measure tomorrow to see how close) and it costs around $50 to ship one of them almost anywhere in the US via UPS. They could put a wire tie shipping label and drop it off at a Greyhound Station if nothing else works.

m38inmaine

Another option is to send a call tag for them and have them picked up that way they won't be involved in the shipping. I had mine of recently and they are very light weight. I have obtained many mv parts with a call tag that otherwise the seller would have never sold as they were not interested in shipping.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the offer.

But I have already built a set of more modern set of racks (fiberglass slats & 2.75" aluminum u-channel) and my rig came with a front frame.

So I am all set.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks