• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Garvin Wilderness Track Rack 61410 installation

StoneyHill

Today I install a roof rack for my M1009. I wanted to have some storage area on the roof, as well as get the spare tire out of the back.

I choose the Wilderness #61410 made by Garvin after some research. It fits great. See the photos. It is 54" by 60" by 6".

I removed the top to install it, but now I know how I could let others figure out how to line it up without removing it. If you drill the hole from the inside 4" back from the lip (where I am pointing in the photo), then you can put the second bolt in. THen measure 25 9/16" back from that bolt and drill another hole from the inside. It will likely not be perfect, but you can line it up and finish the hole. THe rest of the holes can then be drilled from the outside using the holes in the track as a guide.

It took 2-3 hours, but I was letting my kids help.

The spare tire holder is part number #29880. I ordered them initially from an online retailer that I found through Google shopping. Avoid them like the plague, I had to get my credit card company to get my money back when after a month, I had still not recieved the rack. They are called autopartsdealer.com

I then ordered from Garvin's website. The link was called Shopatron. It came directly from Garvin with no hassles.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested in a roof rack.

Scott B urns

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that a piece of strap steel the bolts are going through?

If so, that storage rack will NOT pull out.

IF NOT, install one and the bolts won't pull out.

I LOVE THAT LOOK.

It's sweet! And thx for the pix.

They give those here who are looking for more storage a simple and elegant solution.

StoneyHill

Wallew,

The track that is up top is steel. The bolts go through the fiberglass top. I positioned them so that they are through the double thickness part out towards the sides. They have large flat washers distributing the force and there are 8 bolts on each side. Seems very strong to me. I do not think that a strip of steel reinforcement on the inside is necessary if that is what yo were asking.

Scott