• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Garwood roller fairlead

spicergear

Sorry mate- that's what happen can happen to the 10 & 20,000 lb Garwoods when they're neglected. Good news is that the 20's are kicking around hear and there surplus or on GL or you may even find one with a busted case where the cable stacked up and shoved the lower connecting tie rod (between the case halves) out of the bottom of the case. Sorry again about the bad news...but it's better than slowly destroying the guts and not knowing.

jwright

I got it from a friend, he had it for 3-4 years never used it just sat in the back of his shop. O well I will find one some were.

spicergear

I've been thinking about this thread and finally remembered while I was up at my shop. I have a 20,000lb Garwood on the back of my 406 'Mog and wanted to double check the fairleads on them. My roller fairleads are definitely NOT aluminum. They're either steel or cast iron, but positively not aluminum. Does anyone know when they switched from one to another or did they switch from aluminum to steel since the aluminum ones *may* not be as strong as the steel ones???

motomacguyver

That looks like a NICE welding job. Most gears (worm) are a standard size. Your local OLD SCHOOL machine shop should be able to source the worm gear BLANK for you and modify it to fit.

There was a thread about reusing needle bearings also along the same line. I know it's not "right" but it would probably work for as long as you or I need it to... FWIW.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks