• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gas(602) to mulitfuel (LDS) conversion ????

area52

I have been doing some research on converting a gas powered M246 wrecker that I found, over to a LDS multifuel. I found a decent deal on the engine/tranny and he can throw in a deuce transfer air shift also.

Here is a list of things to change, anything else anyone can add?

gas tank/fuel pump
radiator/hoses
motor mounts
oil/temp senders
inlet filter housing/piping
exhaust stack/manifold
fuel lines
air lines
tach
redo throttle/engine kill linkage

I have to go back and climb under it to see about the PTO's and what is gonna work.
Currently there is no winch(but it does have the pto), but I plan on putting one in if I do this.

anybody add some advice/hints

I read Kenny's conversion on his 108 and will probably follow alot of what he did, hopefully!

edit: the LDS engine has all the accessories on it already so thats a plus.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be nice to source a parts truck or at least a 5 ton LDS truck for reference. My parts truck was huge in helping me with my project and I had a complete running deuce as a second reference. I say go for it. I think both use the 6352 tranny.

m139h2otruck

The gasser and the Multi both use the non-overdrive transmission. Unless you want to stay "stock", I suggest looking at a more modern engine, Cummins 8.3, IH DT466, Cat 3116 or even a Cummins 5.9. The gasser has 205 hp net and over 500 ftlb of torque but the multi at best is only 175-180 hp and less than 500 ftlbs. Just a suggestion.

area52

I would like to use a "modern" engine but price and availability are what is driving this deal. I can possibly get this engine and tranny delivered for about half of what the other engines cost. Also I can go out to the salvage yards and match up what I need instead of custom fabbing something up to make stuff fit.

I am NOT good a custom fabbing!!

area52

At this point I am just doing research to see if this whole project is feasible or not. I am going tomorrow to look at the wrecker again and talk to the old guy that owns it. Then I probably gotta sell my deuce to pay for this whole deal :cry:

then I gotta make arrangements to get the engine/tranny here.

then I will probably think about selling the gasser setup.

O' the joy never ends!! :p

area52

I could sink some money into the gasser and get it running but..

A) I think I will get somewhat better gas milage out of a diesel
B) I can run biodiesel which is my long term plan which will be cheaper when I get my biodiesel plant up and running.

Towman2277

If you look at the fuel consumption chart, a gasser 5-ton gets 4mpg...while the diesel gets 5mpg, but that one mile per gallon is offset by the gas prices around here. I considered that also before I bought my gasser. Now I have tuned my truck, shortened the gasser exhaust (it was 14' of pipe!) and I freed up my air intake to get me 6mpg!! To me thats good. I also considered the biodiesel aspect too, but for me to get setup to process, and the cost of the swap to a diesel, I discovered that I would have to burn about a gazzilion tanks before I saw a return. Trust me, i'm not knocking your idea. It just wasn't best for me to convert to a diesel. Also, in my opinion, I think that my gasser is more reliable then a diesel at this point.

area52

gas vs diesel

The M246 weighs in at about 32,000 lbs so I doubt I would come close to 4 mpg even with a properly tuned 602. Plus with a multifuel, I can run MULTI FUELS!! :D

Towman2277

RE: gas vs diesel

:D All a motor is basically is a giant air-pump. If you free up the intake restrictions, and get a free-flowing exhaust, that in itself makes for a much more efficent vehicle. The more air ingested and burned within any given RPM....the more power you make. The stock airbox and exhaust are the most restrictive designs I've ever seen!!

Jimmy

I am doing the same thing to my M62 wrecker and have about a day's work to complete it. While there is nothing wrong with a gasser I just like the multifuels better. I would recomend the change, it is not that hard. Here is a picture of the progress so far.

Jimmy

Wade,
Sorry, me and the picture part of this web site do not get along, I will try again. You need to make sure your new engine comes with a power steering pump as they are different. I also changed the dash panel and wiring harness to a multifuel, not because I had to but to make it correct and go back easier. I pulled the cab off of it to make sure that everything went back the way it was supposed to. Other than that it was easy.

Jimmy

Wade,
I will try to send some pictures tonight, I found that the system here at work will not allow picture uploads.

area52

Jimmy,

Did you use the same tranny? What about the fuel pump/gas tank? Did you swap in a different one?

The wire harness - did you buy a new complete one? Where?

The LDS I am looking at has all the accessories including the power steering pump, will the hose threads on a mulit fuel pump match up to the steering box on a gasser?

You can send me the pictures at wadelang at excite.com if you can't get them to post.

Jimmy

Wade,
I put the engine and trans assy from the multifuel in as one unit but the numbers on both transmissions were the same. You will have to use the clutch shaft out of the wrecker to make the air solenoid work for the crane. I swapped out the fuel tank with sender and pump with lines over to the wrecker and used the wiring harness out of an old cab that I had. The threads will work on the power steering lines but I used the newer style ones on mine, the gear and valve are all the same.

area52

Re: RE: gas vs diesel

Jimmy said:
Wade,
I put the engine and trans assy from the multifuel in as one unit but the numbers on both transmissions were the same. You will have to use the clutch shaft out of the wrecker to make the air solenoid work for the crane. I swapped out the fuel tank with sender and pump with lines over to the wrecker and used the wiring harness out of an old cab that I had. The threads will work on the power steering lines but I used the newer style ones on mine, the gear and valve are all the same.
Which parts are you referring to "clutch shaft and air solenoid? where are therse located at?

thanks for all this good info Jimmy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: gas vs diesel

The M246 may not have the remote clutch as it has no drag winch. Thinking out loud here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks