• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas Conversion

TurboLSHumvee

I thought you guys might appreciate some of the work done on my humvee.

Here is the video the guys made who did the LS/4l80 swap:

Since then I have changed a few things around. Once I get this tune figured out I should be conservatively around 600 hp.

Below is some of the early fitting and fabrication:
photo5174967745643653820.jpg

photo5051265227160660349.jpg

photo5174967745643653825.jpg

I ended up having to replace the transmission/oil cooler as there was not much room under the hood with the intercooler stacked on top.

Attachments

williamh

Why would you convert to gas ?? I could see going for the duramax conversion but gas ? Is it at least an ls1? . I just couldn’t pull the trigger on an gas motor when diesel with a turbo has way more power

Reactions: 98G

TurboLSHumvee

Because I wanted it to be that way. It's a 6.0 LSx. It gets better power and fuel economy that the original setup. Gas is more plentiful than diesel. It's easily a 300k mile motor. Any shop can work on it. Parts are cheap. Sounds like boosted muscle car instead of a tractor.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I do not have any problem with anyone putting any engine they want in their HMMWV, I do take exception to my 435HP Duramax being compared to a tractor, it has a awesome bark that would rival any gasser once the tires quit squalling, well maybe not as nice as a V12 Maserati,,,

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I do not have any problem with anyone putting any engine they want in their HMMWV, I do take exception to my 435HP Duramax being compared to a tractor, it has a awesome bark that would rival any gasser once the tires quit squalling, well maybe not as nice as a V12 Maserati,,,
For a short period of time I worked (as an outside contractor) for Magneti-Marelli in Turin Italy. One day I show up to the building, and I hear what sounds like a dump truck dieseling it's way toward me, passed me and continued around the building. I turn around and it was a V12 Maserati. By the time I walked to the door of the building I was going to, I heard a smooth running engine behind me.. same vehicle, but this time tuned properly. They were apparently working on the engine computer, timing, etc.

I'd never heard a gas engine sound so much like a diesel before, lol. So ya, even a nice V12 Maserati can sound worse then a truck diesel.

jrtoffroad

Pretty awesome! Is it up and running? (Haven't seen the video) What size turbo did you go with?

I'm a big fan of the LS swap HUMVEE and have been debating going this way. But both are awesome, just comes down to personal preference I guess.

For me, the main pros of a diesel are fuel economy and towing ability. While the pros of gas are cost, size, weight, throttle response, and sound (6.5 diesel - the most efficient conversion of diesel fuel to ear splitting rattling engine noises without the side effect of hp).

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more advantage/disadvantage. Gas, no glow plug or glow plug controller. Diesel no "old carb" or "complicated" ECU that needs to be tuned. Add to that gasoline generally doesn't gel in the winter. ;)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more advantage/disadvantage. Gas, no glow plug or glow plug controller. Diesel no "old carb" or "complicated" ECU that needs to be tuned. Add to that gasoline generally doesn't gel in the winter. ;)
Diesel - far less flammable and less dangerous to have around. Much longer shelf life (although far less than it used to be).

To each their own.

Last edited:

Agelai

Get some
I too am thinking of swapping to a gas setup. I did all the research on the Duramax and Allison swap, but for me the price is just insane. For half the price you could do a LS or Hemi swap, and get 500-600 hp easily.

so I get it.

I think the major advantage is cost, anyone can work on it, aftermarket parts, etc.

Sick job dude.

Vapor Trail

I appreciate your video, thanks for posting! Not sure why some people are so negative about another persons swap. Honestly I have a brand new Duramax and its not that impressive. When I finish my swap I'll run it next to my L86 V and we'll see what happens and I'll post a video here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks