• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas dripping out rust holes in the exhaust?

kawbob1978

I am still attempting to get the M886 running. I seem to have spark and gas, and tested the compression today in 4 cylinders 2 on each side. They were between 120 to 150. Which seems enough to start, so I just couldn't figure out why it wasn't.
Finally it ran for a few seconds kinda rough. I noticed there was a medium size puddle of gas dripping out of some of the rusted seams on the muffler. I also noticed some gas coming out, however not as much closed to the Y where theres a U-bolt clamp. The gas coming out of the muffler smelled quite old, but the other 'leak' smeller newer.
I have fresh gas going into the carb. I have used about half a gallon trying to get it started. This seems like a lot, but i dont know. Part of the exhaust dips down under the trans, could all that be filled with gas causing it to not run?? I thought about drilling a tiny hole in a low spot to see what comes out. Does this sound familiar to any one? Thanks for your help!

goodbrewing

Sounds like the float may be stuck in the carb. letting the fuel overflow the bowl and flood the engine with gas. Check your oil to be sure it isn't also full of gas. If you haven't already you may need to at least take the top off the carb and clean it out and check for sticking and gummy build up. Don't give up yet.
I have 1 M886 I use as my work truck and 3 more out back for parts. I am in Vt. and the salt they spread during the winter takes a toll on the bodies.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goodbrewing is right, stuck float. 1/2 gallon is a huge amount of gas to go through the engine if it hasn't fired yet! It has to go somewhere and out the exhaust is where. Don't drill a hole! Let things dry out and check the carb for overflow. You can see down the barrels easily. If you have ignition at the proper time, a little squirt of gas into the carb will cause the 318 to run for a few seconds. Make sure the module on the fender is grounded really well, and check the ballast resistor for proper ohms and good connections. She will fire up, they always do . . .

Blythewoodjoe

You could have a stuck float in the carb and you might be putting a lot a gas down the intake. I wouldn't think the gas is going to build up in the pipe and restrict the flow of exhaust. Gas will wash the oil out of the cylinders and fowl the plugs. My truck sat for years and ran smooth as oil when it got fire. It ran well on the old plugs and wires too. My fuel pump went out after a few hours of running. Good luck.

ida34

If you have bad gas in the carb then you need to clean it out. Even new gas down the carb will not fire off if you have bad gas in the carb. If you are pouring the fuel down the carb then this may be why you have so much in the exhaust.

Last edited:

kawbob1978

Thanks, I did check the oil and it was a little over full and smelled a bit like gas so I should drain that out soon. I should clean out the carb and i have taken off the top. It looks good inside, but I can't see every passage. The ballast resistor is very brittle and it fell apart. The connections are still insulated and the resistor inside is intact, but I need a new one of those. So does everything ground to the body? I keep finding things to clean and check the grounds on. I don't pour gas down the carb much, I do use starting fluid though. I'll just keep plugging away lol, Thanks for your help, Theres so much to learn and so many factors to think about. -Bobby

N1265

If you are sure you have spark at all cylinders, get all the plugs cleaned / dried up and replace the ballast resistor, they are cheep enough and are a know problem with starting issues.

if you still can not get it to " pop off " check the timing...

N1265

Most stuff grounds to the firewall or fender, That includes the ECM by the drivers side hood spring, it needs to be grounded threw its case, to the fender.

you might want to pull it, and clean it up so you have a good metal to metal contact, or run a wire to the case to the NEG side of the Battery....

kawbob1978

Thanks N1265, I picked up a new ballast resistor yesterday and haven't had the opportunity to hook it up yet. Hopefully today I will. I'll check those grounds and good idea about the extra ground wire. Thanks!

acmunro

Once your ignition system is up to par, and the carb is checked out, ie needle valve & seat - float. I would change the oil before I tried to start it. I have seen oil that was so gasoline diluted the engine would not run. Also the whole wear issue. Good luck. I recently aquired a M880 series truck I am hoping to get running. The carb and ignition system are missing so I have a good place to start. LOL

kawbob1978

I got it to run! I'm not tatally sure how or why, but I cleaned all the connections and it finally came to life and ran. Pretty well too lol I need to check the grounds now for the tail lights and turn signals and I can drive it home. I really need to change the oil, but I wanted to do that at my house instad of the hospital parking lot. So hopefully it will be ok for a couple miles. Good luck on getting yours going acmunro! At least when you put on all those new parts, you know they will be done correctly.:-D I am going to get some pictutres of it and a few parts that I don't know what they are and see what you all think. Thanks for all your help!!!! -Bobby