• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gas hmmwv ??

SCRAP

My latest edition of diesel power magazine lists eary hmmwv's as having a 400 cube gas motor, was this a prototype? was it the famous 400 chevy? or was this just a typo?

SCRAP

I remember the civillian 350 gas model, it was featured in several magazines when it came out, but that was not a military version, it was civillian version with ac and all the bells and whistles.

nattieleather

As far as I have known they have always had a diesel motor. I think the Chrysler prototype that AM General beat out had a BB V8 in it that was gas. But the AM General version always had a diesel. Though I remember reading somewhere along the way that the first protoype used a different engine and AMG switiched to the 6.2 just before going into production. But don't quote me on that as I'm going from memory of things I read long ago.

Edit: I see Westech beat me to the punch on posting so I see my memory was correct that it was a air cooled diesel first.

Stalwart

GM stopped offering a warranty to AM General on the 350 gasoline engine in the Hummer, truck was too heavy (so said GM) and AM General stopped offering it. They were a total fuel pig and prone to breakage. (Hummer owner since March 1993)

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i believe the 6.2 was used because GM was the only manufaturer to agree to a parts supply chain for 15+ years. Gas engines were only used in civilian Hummers. The magazine is wrong.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks