• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gasser 6602 intake/exhaust gasket, double up??

Towman2277

Hey, Developed a SERIOUS exhaust manifold leak the other day on the gasser, and started tearing it done for repair today. Noticed that it appears to have two gaskets installed, instead of the expected one?!? I've done this before on exhaust on small blocks, headers, etc. But wasn't sure if this is common practice on the 5-ton gasser? Anyone know? I plan on taking the manifold/intake combo and getting it "planed" to make a true, flat sealing gasket surface, and wanted some opinions on should I put back two gaskets?? sure hate to have to tear it back down from putting just one!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've done the same thing on engines I suspecte dof not having a "flat" mounting surface. I might only use 1 after having the combo surfaced.

RF202

Steve,
Can't speak specifically on a 602 Continental, but have done this several times on Red Diamond engines (IHC) , as quite often, after sitting up, the mainfolds would be eat away from rust/heat. Even had to build a few of them up with brass, then mill them off. I have seen a few guys simply put them on an upright belt sander and shape them up. Seems to work, but I just prefer to have them milled in a vertical mill. I would not see any need, after doing so, to put more than 1 gasket on it and it should seall up fine. Just my experiences.

Thanks,
John