• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gasser Deuce top speed?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if something in the old intake collapsed under load to make it suffocate so badly. The new air cleaner setup looks like you harnessed a 500hp beast under that hood! :)

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if something in the old intake collapsed under load to make it suffocate so badly. The new air cleaner setup looks like you harnessed a 500hp beast under that hood! :)
The old rubber elbow hose was pretty hard so I don’t think it was that. I didn’t take the air cleaner apart other than to dump the oil out. It ran like a champ today in the Independence Day parade so it sure helped. I know it looks a little goofy but it was actually parts they had in stock. This time it actually did add horsepower. 😁

HDN

The old rubber elbow hose was pretty hard so I don’t think it was that. I didn’t take the air cleaner apart other than to dump the oil out. It ran like a champ today in the Independence Day parade so it sure helped. I know it looks a little goofy but it was actually parts they had in stock. This time it actually did add horsepower. 😁
At least you have a cold air intake if you ever decide to do something like an LS swap!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old rubber elbow hose was pretty hard so I don’t think it was that. I didn’t take the air cleaner apart other than to dump the oil out. It ran like a champ today in the Independence Day parade so it sure helped. I know it looks a little goofy but it was actually parts they had in stock. This time it actually did add horsepower.
Had you ever serviced the oil bath?

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had you ever serviced the oil bath?
I never completely disassembled the canister, but I did change the oil and clean the base. I’ve read a study that Ford motor company published sometime in the 50s I think. It describes the restrictive nature and accelerated engine wear associated with oil bath air systems. I was eliminating it because it would almost blister you with how hot it gets being basically above the exhaust manifold. Cold air is denser air so I figured what the heck

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started off with VW Beetles that had oil bath filters. I guess they "worked" to some extent because there was indeed sludge forming in them but I was always questioning how well they actually kept particles out of the intake.
Back then, an engine would not be expected to run 250k km or miles without a major overhaul or rebuild, as they are today.

Add to that the fantastic wire mesh "oil filter" that needed to come out and be washed with gasoline at every oil change (and many never were because it is easier to just remove one drain bolt than to remove six bolts to get to the mesh) and you have a good idea of how much in the way of abrasives and contamination got into and circulated in those engines.

The cold air intakes and K&N style oiled fabric filters are much criticised but I don't think they are ANY worse than the above.

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started off with VW Beetles that had oil bath filters. I guess they "worked" to some extent because there was indeed sludge forming in them but I was always questioning how well they actually kept particles out of the intake.
Back then, an engine would not be expected to run 250k km or miles without a major overhaul or rebuild, as they are today.

Add to that the fantastic wire mesh "oil filter" that needed to come out and be washed with gasoline at every oil change (and many never were because it is easier to just remove one drain bolt than to remove six bolts to get to the mesh) and you have a good idea of how much in the way of abrasives and contamination got into and circulated in those engines.

The cold air intakes and K&N style oiled fabric filters are much criticised but I don't think they are ANY worse than the above.
I remember the VW days too. I completely agree with you on all of that. When people ask my opinion of the K&N filter, my usual response is, “If it allows more airflow, it’s because it’s not filtering as much”. Simple as that. My deuce won’t see more than probably 250 miles a year (if that) so I’m not worried about the added particulates. If it was still an off-road work horse I’d want something better like a heavy truck filter system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks