• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gasser lifter noise

2deuce

I have a 1953 Gasser that I'm trying to get road ready. It has a lifter noise problem that comes and goes about every 15 seconds. Oil pressure on the gauge reads 40lbs. Anyone dealt with this before? It does this at idle. I can't hear it in the cab so I'm not sure if this happens at higher engine speeds. It sounds like its comming from the rear valve cover. This is the R6602 engine it sounds beautiful between the noise spells. The noise comes on gradual and leaves gradual.
Thanks
Greg

OSO

I am seeing a fellow tomorrow that knows about gassers,I'll ask him . I have a 1953 M139 IHC Bridge truck myself. Just doing small things now . BIG 16.00x20 tires! This guy says to drill out the main jets in the carb to give a richer mixture to these engines , now that gas has methanol added to it now . Better preformance with this carb mod. [thumbzup] Kevin [OSO]

Crazyguyla

How long has the engine been sitting? Might be an adjustment problem or might be build up (sludge/gook) around the lifter.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the tick comes and goes, it could be a worn lifter. I had a 454 wear 1/2 of the lifter once, only made the noise when it was on the worn part.

2deuce

Thanks for the pointers. I will take off the covers and try to figure out where it comes from. The truck has been sitting alot. If a spring was broke wouldn't it make noise all the time? Same thing if its out of adjustment? If I was to guess it sounds to me like its not getting oil. One lifter makes most of the noise and another starts to tick then they go quiet like it got oil then they start ticking louder repeating the cycle it is very consistant.
I once had a 235 Chevy that broke the line supplying oil to the front of the engine. There was a slight slope to the rear making the lifter in front go dry. The oil ran downhill.
When I get it apart I hope the problem has an obvious fix.
Thanks again,
Greg

HeadWizard

Greg-

All the previous suggestions have validity. The coming and going lean me more toward sludge / trash. Try changing the oil and adding "Seafoam". We've tried everything at the shop over the years and have found nothing that loosens up lifters and generally cleans up the internal engine crud as Seafoam.

Many of the products out there are quick fixes (flush & clean your engine in 15 minutes) and I do not recommend those products. The Seafoam might take a complete oil change cycle, but it almost always works. Use it at the high end of the recommended usage amount.

It is available at Advanced Auto Parts and many Carquest stores.

Don

OSO

Was down at Brad's place today says, the lifters are solids,not hydraulic never heard of that on that engine. He said sounds like lifters out of adjustment, Get engine up to temp then set lifters . That way you know whats inside of your valve covers. Can inspect the springs at that time. Got my early combat rims today. Now getting them cleaned up for tire install! OSO [thumbzup] Good luck tracking down your problem with the lifters.

Boatcarpenter

Off the wall thought, but does that engine have rotating lifters? If so, perhaps the cyclical nature of the noise could be caused by a bad spot on one that comes around every so often.
BC

Edit: Had lifters on the brain. Meant rotating valves as in the exhaust valves of some older Ford 8N's and some older Hercules work/donkey engines.

m139h2otruck

Per the photos/pictures in Memphis' book and the TM, the lifters are like a B & S lawn mower engine, smaller stem and large base that rides on the cam. These have to rotate in order to distribute the wear over the entire face of the lifter, just like an older (60s through 80s V8). If one of the lifters was at one time stuck and couldn't rotate, it would have worn a bad spot into the face and may make this noise. I would pull both valve covers and run the engine at an idle and try to locate the noise. Try (be very careful) to push on each valve rocker while running with a rubber hammer or something to see if the noise stops or changes. Make sure to close off the PCV valve line or the engine will have a big vacuum leak.

2deuce

Its definately a lifter noise. The fact that everything runs smooth and quiet then starts ticking, gradually getting louder, the noise peaks then starts getting quieter until its gone. Runs quiet alittle while then starts the cycle over. This cycling has thrown me. I haven't had time to get the covers off yet.

Greg

m139h2otruck

On our truck, the air governor makes a sound like a ticking lifter that has a similar cyclic noise. Try disconnecting the air compressor belt or something like that and run the engine up to temperature. You could also leave a valve open somewhere in the air system to load the compressor full time, as long as you could still hear (or not hear) the ticking sound.

m139h2otruck

Is the original gas pump hooked up and working? This too runs off the cam and may be another source of the sound.

On our truck, I have found that with everything properly adjusted and tight, the actual engine noises are quite low (at idle), except for the leaky middle exhaust manifold. Noise levels rise traveling down the road, but still no where near what a non muffled multi is like.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks