• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gasser

rflegal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK guys, so I have a fairly rare M36 longbed, but its a gasser, OA331 6 cylinder. Is this worth hanging on to? Should I swap in a diesel? Should I unload it and look for a newer M35A2 with a diesel? Thoughts...

Buy the way, cranked it up, runs good, sounds OK but might need the tappets adjusted. Anyone have the TM # or a copy for servicing the OA331?

Thanks for the help, love the board.

Bob

Desert Rat

Bob,
She's a keeper in my book. I'd be tempted to convert to a multifuel for many reasons. A biggie is being able to use filtered used motor oil as a fuel and cutting the costs of your fuel bill waaaaaaay down, parts are easier to find for a MF, more horsies, I can go on and on and on like the energizer bunny............

JasonS

The reo is a good engine. I converted mine to full flow oil filtering and have a converted mini hei distributor in the works. I bobbed my truck so horsepower is OK. Be even better once I fix a dragging front brake.

Desert Rat

Jas,
Brakes can be a drag alright! It's when they catch fire that you REALLY have a problem on your hands.

JasonS

I am still at the smoke stage but I limit myself to a couple of miles. The shoes are adjusted as loose as possible but still drag. Probably due to a leaking wheel cylinder/shoes swelled up. It may be tough to get the drum off. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I have the military and civilian manuals for the reo engine. I also have a brochure finely detailing the engine construction and materials if anyone is interested. Horsepower aside, the reo is arguably a much better engine than it's contemporaries (gmc 302). Good design and good materials. There was also a 440 cubic inch V-8 version of the gold comet six with 225 HP. An article in Rod & Custom in 1955 suggested that the v8 would make a great hot rod engine but the weight >1000 lbs was an impedimant.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks