• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauge cluster advice/help needed

SimonG

Ok I was trying to remove the bolt pictured in picture 1 and some how (dont ask how please) I ended up with the picture 2. And still cant get at that **** bolt

Iv looked in here and checked a couple catalogs but not sure what Im finding. I obviously need to replace the guage cluster :cry:

Im not concerned with going back to original so that opens up some things I hope. Im having it converted to 12v and dont want digital/electronic.

I wont need the 2nd generator light and Id like to at a Tach

So 2 questions:
What are my options on where to get the replacement cluster and what to get?

What other guages should I add?

Attachments

dstang97

You have to remember that the plastic is very brittle after 30 years of dry heat. I wish you would have done more exploring before ripping out your cluster. I think you need to remove your kick vent to get that nut out. You must have snapped your tack welds. On getting a new cluster they are different between military and civi. If it was me i would put it back to OEM and leave it 24v. Good proven system.

SimonG

Well the "ripping" was unintentional.
So other than trying to covince me not to convert to 12v..
Like where to get a replacement? Iv looked and cant find any mil or civilian.

Last edited:

salt6

Well the "ripping" was unintentional.
So other than trying to covince me not to convert to 12v..
Like where to get a replacement? Iv looked and cant find any mil or civilian.

Local pick-a-part. Pickups, blazers or suburbans will work for 12 volt. If you want to stay 24 volt save the wire trace from the back of the orginal cluster. That's what make it "military".

dstang97

Local pick-a-part. Pickups, blazers or suburbans will work for 12 volt. If you want to stay 24 volt save the wire trace from the back of the orginal cluster. That's what make it "military".
The actual clusters are different too.

SimonG

Its the bolt on the other side, i guess it was spot weleded and broke free. I took the vent panel off to try andreach up that way, no luck. So while I was taking stuff apart, I figured Id take teh dash aprt to clean it and the wires, when I tried pulling the cluster out, it snapped. Now I have to find a whole new gauge cluster............... and still Take the **** bolt off.
I was hoping to find a replacement cluster but no luck and havent been able to find an aftermarket option

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM hawkman, he may have one.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the same, only the mil trucks had 2 alternators. Look up the nsn in the -34P tm.

SimonG

Ok here is where it stands.
Still waiting to hear from Hawkman to see if he has a gauge cluster (or at least the back piece).
A friend is gonna try to repair the one I broke with some fiberglass....
If that doesnt work, He is going to try and get a civilain one to work. not sure how thats going to work out though

Barrman

I know you need it NOW. However, they show up on ebay all the time.

You can swap in all the military guts to a civi plastic housing. Just clean everything and test each circuit multiple times before you plug it in.

Oh, stay 24 volts. You will get much more help and information about how to fix it than if you go to 12.

SimonG

Thanks Barman,
Ill keep loking for one on Ebay while I wait. Trick will be finding one with the circuit board intact