• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauge Problem

rlp094

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So okay today I replaced the 0-60 oil pressure gauge with a new 0-120 one with a new 120psi sender. Problem is when I turn on the accessory switch, the oil, generator and fuel gauge go pinned to the right with engine not running. Rechecked grounds all looks good.
Any ideas?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, the way all those gauges work is..............

24V to the "IGN" side of the gauge.
The gauge body has to the grounded to the chassis. This is done via the mounting bracket that touches the panel, which grounds to the chassis via the 4 twist locks.
The "SEND" side is wired to the sending unit, other than the voltmeter, which only has the IGN input since it's just measuring the power coming in from the batteries.

So if all 3 are pegged, that's the same as pulling the wire off the sending unit and grounding it. So there's some sort of ground issue going on.

rlp094

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, if it ever stops raining here in NJ i'm going to try to run a separate ground wire from the cluster to a good ground on the chassis and see if that works.

rlp094

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: managed to crawl under the steering wheel and get a good look at the back of cluster. The spider harness looks klke its been pulled on and off before and is frayed in some areas. Ordered a new harness today and hoping thats it.

rlp094

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for not getting back sooner, but yesterday I replaced the electric gauge with a manual one and i'm getting 60lbs cold. Which is why I switched to a 0-120 gauge. The grounds were cleaned and other gauges work normally. Probably should think about a new harness.
Want to say thanks to all who chimed in for your help. This is a great site!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks