• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauges and Sending Units Caterpillar/ M1078

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sticker Shock once again brings me to the Steel Soldiers Advisory Committee/ I haven't researched it and this is my first place to come so maybe my powers of observation can be scrutinized/
Dealing with my Oil Pressure the first place I dealt with was the gauge and is it working/ After removing and cleaning the ever so common green going mess from the gauge and connectors I established that the gauge was good/ My real question comes in this - does it take a proprietary sending unit or can I use a Cat sending unit stock/ As a matter of fact what is the voltage on the gauges ie 12 or 24/ and are their any common places that the wiring fails between the gauge and sending unit/ And are there any other suggestions or comments that any one has to add regarding their experience with the gauges/
Thank you!!!

Ronmar

The gauges are 24V for their operational/sensing circuits, but use 12V lighting… in the case of the oil pressure, I am assuming this is on an A0 truck, it is a stewart warner sensor. 506AZ…

Again, assuming this is an A0, there is one main engine harness connector down along the drivers frame rail…

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gauges are 24V for their operational/sensing circuits, but use 12V lighting… in the case of the oil pressure, I am assuming this is on an A0 truck, it is a stewart warner sensor. 506AZ…

Again, assuming this is an A0, there is one main engine harness connector down along the drivers frame rail…
Thank you Ronmar. Yes it is an A0. Thank you for the number also!!!

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
is this the same sensor that is used to excite the alternator?
Without looking at a wiring schematic does that mean if the alternator excites that the sensor is good or is there 2 parts to the sender. A ground and a potentiometer for the gauge? Is that sensor also located in the middle of the engine block on the left side?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks