• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauges

Sam27

Anyone put real gauges in their CUCV? I'd love to have temp, oil pressure, voltage that works, maybe oil temp, RPM. Idiot lights are okay, but you know... I'm wondering what it would take to replace the idiot lights with real information.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The places should be there in the dash, maybe it could be done so you use the civvy guages and senders for temp, oil pressure, voltage on the low side, and use the 12V to run those. you could use another 12V guage to monitor the high side 12V, so that way you could check the alternators independedntly so to speak. Electrically it is simple but mechanically I have no idea.

Sam27

I guess the first question is whether the civ gauges would screw in to the same spots as the idiot lights. Seems likely, but doesn anyone know for sure?

I think the coolant temp sender ought to fit the same spot as the temp switch for the idiot light. Anyone know about the oil pressure sender? Where's that located by the way?

mangus580

The entire 'dash pane' is different. The bezel is different as well. Putting 'stock' gauges in a truck that had the lights, needs the black bezel, the clear lens, and the blue 'backing plate' with printed circuit. You will also have to rewire the plug that plugs into the panel to match the panel you are putting in. I am not sure how tough it would be, with the military setup, I just have experience doing it with a civvy truck.

Sam27

mangus580 said:
The entire 'dash pane' is different. The bezel is different as well. Putting 'stock' gauges in a truck that had the lights, needs the black bezel, the clear lens, and the blue 'backing plate' with printed circuit. You will also have to rewire the plug that plugs into the panel to match the panel you are putting in. I am not sure how tough it would be, with the military setup, I just have experience doing it with a civvy truck.
:( Sounds like a pain. What alternatives have people found to mount real gauges?

Sam27

mangus580

Doesnt look to bad... but I prefer to keep it stock on the lights and add gauges seperate. Check out the pic. I have room for a 3rd gauge, probably gonna be a tranny temp. Its marked for the whole already, as well as a bunch more switch holes. Its just a plastic 'project box' from some place like radio shack.

Attachments

85-m1028

mangus580 said:
Doesnt look to bad... but I prefer to keep it stock on the lights and add gauges seperate. Check out the pic. I have room for a 3rd gauge, probably gonna be a tranny temp. Its marked for the whole already, as well as a bunch more switch holes. Its just a plastic 'project box' from some place like radio shack.
It's starting to look a little mad max in there [thumbzup] What is all that stuff????

mangus580

The box to the right of the guage box is the Arcitc Heater controls. The lever mounted to the floor, is the plow control. Mounted to the front of that is my 'ham' radio.

The yellow wire, is my stereo antenna LOL

85-m1028

mangus580 said:
The box to the right of the guage box is the Arcitc Heater controls. The lever mounted to the floor, is the plow control. Mounted to the front of that is my 'ham' radio.

The yellow wire, is my stereo antenna LOL
Ahhh the plow control is what threw me!! we don't see alot of those where I come from :oops:

85-m1028

mangus580 said:
I really need to get the herculiner done on the floor :-( Would make it look alot better in there.
I hear ya! I got the thick vinyl liner for mine "to quiet the interior" and the stupid thing never has fit right. I should of herculined mine!!

Armada

I like your idea Mike!
Here's another spot to sneak in a gage. And if you're not using a radio in it's factory location, A couple gages can be made to fit in that area too.
It's good to have the idiot lights and gages both. Especially the lights for gen 1 and gen 2.

Attachments

BKinzey

85-m1028 said:
I got the thick vinyl liner for mine "to quiet the interior" and the stupid thing never has fit right. I should of herculined mine!!
Whose liner? I've been looking at the LMC liner. I plan to use polymeric mastic (?? Dynamat type stuff) so I need a good cover 8)