• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gazing into a crystal ball.........

littlebob

First of all I want to thank David for putting this out there. Thanks to David and Medlog ,I 'm pretty sure I have an older gasser that has been through a depot rebuild at least once. From a practicle standpoint I'm glad it has more modern engine and such, but sorry to find it wasn't original anymore. It will do for what I want to do with mine, Parades and some local displays for Veterans events. If there was ever a good candidate for parting out or modification it would be mine, but I would like to see any kind of original MV saved for restoration.

littlebob:-D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nobody has really brought up the fact that due to the internet, the hobby is HUGE where the m35 is concerned. I think with so many different people getting them and maintaining them there will me more available in good condition later on. I try to keep my mods as basic bolt on stuff as I'm sure many do, you just don't hear as much from us cause it isn't as interesting. Mike is right though, in 1000 years few will probably be available. I also worry about the point someone else brought up, will we be able to drive them much longer? Times are-a-changin!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also worry about the point someone else brought up, will we be able to drive them much longer? Times are-a-changin!
Not to change the subject but I worry about this also. With the push for other sources of energy when they finally do find something else to power vehicles the internal combustion engine will go the way of the steam engine. I can see them some time in the future outlawing the internal combustion engine altogether. The good part is I still think we are many years from this happening but I can see them putting restrictions on old non-emissions controled engines in the near future.

randyscycle

Mr Doyle, thank you for the excellent insight as always.

Running a restoration business (motorcycles) I see two distinctive camps:

First there are the purists. They want the 100% original to the nut and bolt restoration that rarely sees any use and is primarily a static display. These are often (but not always) folks who have a checkbook and little vehicular ability beyond turning a key, and adding fuel.

Second there are the persons who enjoy their vehicles for what they are: Usable, enjoyable equipment, being put into the service they were designed for. These are the hobbyists, and weekend mechanics who are able to do their own maintenance and repairs.

Time will tell how much will be left and the worth in the end. I never thought 20 years ago when VW Beetles roamed the roads in droves, that they would actually be worth anything, but now a solid convertible will sell for $5-7000. Go figure.

Crazyguyla

Time will tell how much will be left and the worth in the end. I never thought 20 years ago when VW Beetles roamed the roads in droves, that they would actually be worth anything, but now a solid convertible will sell for $5-7000. Go figure.
My sister just picked up her 1970 beetle. The repair shop wanted to take it off her hands because the semiauto tranny doesn't shift right. Offered a couple hundred for it. We drove off with the car, having to start it in gear :cry:. Stupid transmission design LOL.

Would upgrading to a 60 Amp alternator from the 25 Amp generator be considered an "legal" upgrade as far as originalalty in restoration goes? I can see keeping a gasser a gasser, but for the sanity sake, The generator drives me crazy when it comes to troubleshooting charging problems.

Some safety items should take priority over originality. My duece doesn't have seatbelts or did it ever have seat belts. I'm going to get the kit and add them in. technically i believe my truck is old enough to be grandfathered into not needing seatbelts. I think someone might say something if my truck has 3 point seatbelts from an A3 truck. :twisted:

Just one last thought on restoring a truck to originality. The M44(singles) and M45(duals) family of trucks covered many years. There are many marker light and paint options to choose from.

that's just my 2cents

ida34

One point I would like to make. I consider any military upgrade to be as original. I am trying to keep my truck the way my Desert Storm deuce was set up but am going to add the winch and have added the ringmount. I am also rolling with the newer vinyl top and cab cover. My truck was never depot rebuilt so mine is probably more original than some others but it still has had the engine rebuilt and some of the diffs have been replaced. My transfer case looked new when I got it. Would it be nice to find an original truck NA with the horizontal exhaust but I do not feel I need this to be original. If I was wanting a Korean era truck then I would need to find and original gasser and we all know how hard they are to find. Most of the one that surface are real bubba rides. I found it nice to find a truck that basically met my needs without having to do a lot of restoration for originality. If I was putting together a gasser I would not have had the same luck. I would have to take a bubba ride and restore it. I think it is much easier to maintain then to restore and I do not have to track down all kinds of stuff. I would like to find a canvas top and side curtains but my truck stays outside so I would probably never put it on. I do have a canvas cab cover that I am storing.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
David,

I do not think many people understand what your article was about or why you posted it. In a nut shell "Bobbers and scrapers......... stop!"

Jim"

Nah - just think when buying, or before starting modding a rare truck - be that an all original "common" M35A2 or a "scarce" M48. Both in fact are scarce. Lots of trucks have been repowered by the military already - just like lots of WWII Jeeps were repowered by the military - but the ones that bring the large dollars today are the ones with the original factory-installed engines. In the future, the deuces that will bring the large dollars, win shows and people will pay money to see - are the ones wih the original engines. Today, the all original deuces sell for the same price as the truck on its third engine, and no one pays attention.

In 1946 when Jeeps were being sold by the hundreds, likely no one was walking along picking the ones out with the original engines and thinking "this one I'll keep, the ones that have had replacement motors installed, I'll sell" - and yes I know COLLECTORS who were buying vehicles in 1946. We have their experiences to learn from - but have we?

DD

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I totally agree with Ida. The "mods" he mentions are totally reversible.. I think the Bubba mods that use welders, torches, and saws-alls are the kind of mods we dont want to see... As for the 60 amp genny and seatbelts, there are 2 schools of thought.

1st is a "was it military and commonly done" mindset, where people like myself and Ida and others have.

The second is "was it original as per the day it rolled off the assembly line" In that case, a 1968 M35A2 would of had the 25 amp genny, and no seatbelts. If someone wanted to protray a deuce as it was in 1968, then the upgraded genny and seatbelt MWO would be a no no. If you want to protray it as an example of a just a M35A2, then the genny and seatbelts (both military mods) would be totally accpetable as it probably would of happened durring the service life of the truck..

Is either view wrong or right? Thats a question only the owner can answer, and whatever makes him happy is what he should do. Dont let the "MV truck police" influence your thinking.. They dont own it, you do. Be happy with your ride... :)

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Nah - just think when buying, or before starting modding a rare truck - In the future, the deuces that will bring the large dollars, win shows and people will pay money to see - are the ones wih the original engines. Today, the all original deuces sell for the same price as the truck on its third engine, and no one pays attention.

DD
Now I have a reason to put my running 1972 M35A2C with original 1972 motor, never been to the depot, in the shed under an OD tarp... :-D

powerhouseduece

Ok Dave you are intitled to your $.02 and so am I. I was talking to a fellow member and he his totally with you. I understand that if I had a rare truck I would not cut it up or even if I had a perfect deuce from the DRMO, I would keep it that way and restore it to show room looks. BUT.... I also worked hard for my truck, put work and what little time I have into it. ITS MINE!! I fell that I can do what ever I want with my truck. Since my bed on my truck is rusting out on my truck, its going to go..... so im guessing that im going to bob it. I just want something that I built, put my own blood sweat and beers....... I mean tears into. granted that one day when im a little older and have the time I will save a truck that was left for dead and headed to the crusher. I feel that im oblagated to save such a cool peice of history but for right now I just want one to play with. Thats how I learn about them, Just tinkering.

Stepping down now. :soapbox:

ida34

I have posted that I feel people can do what they want with their trucks but when I look at the metal plate floor, roll bar, ford keyed ignition switch, electrical box with no purpose on the trans tunnel, and all the edges of my body panels that bubba cut away I really want to find the guy and choke him out. I will provide photographic evidence of this tragedy. I have since removed the radiator guard and the luggage rack on the hood so it looks much better.

Attachments

196thprober

Great discussion; I'm very fortunate to be able to keep one M35A2 W/W as stock as it came for parades and other events, but plan to get a bobbed version this spring to have different kinds of fun with.

Chuck

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use mine for stuff. The only thing not reversible is the deadbolt lock in the drivers side door. As far as souping up, I am not sure turning up the fuel really counts since no performance-increasing parts were added. It would be easy to remove all the useful additions and have a stock truck. Hey I think my truck just went up in value.

As far as keeping everything original, if the truck is readily used every day, eventually things will wear out and then it won't be original any more. The number of trucks qualifying per MVPA rules for "motor pool ready" and above, far outweighs the number of modified ones I believe. Could be wrong.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My belief is inline with what a few others have stated earlier...if it is an approved military modification, I am fine with it. If not, it does not go on my trucks. That is my belief and I stick to it. I don't like bobbed trucks and I am not into modified trucks in any way shape or form. However, I believe guys should be able to do what makes them happy with their own trucks. Sure, my stomach turns when I see a guy butcher an otherwise pristine truck, but that is their right...they paid their money and that is what they enjoy. POWERHOUSEDEUCE is correct in my opinion.

I have saved many, many trucks over the years. I have put back together trucks that definitely were residue and either were destined to be scrapped or parted out (my current M925A2 is a perfect example that started out without a motor, transmission, gauges, steering column, top, switches, windshields, wiper motors/arms/blades, CTIS, front bumper, troop seats, etc.). $30K later, I would put that truck up against any M939 series truck out there. I take pride in the fact that every truck I have ever owned has been improved in quality while I owned it. I have taken below average deuces and turned them into first place factory restored show winners at Aberdeen about a decade ago. Did I get my money back out? Heck, no! I did/do if for the satisfaction of restoring/fixing a piece of military history.

amanco

It is the same with any category of collectibles. If every one had one, IE a '70 Beetle, they still wouldn't be worth squat nor would any collector give them the time of day. The slow destruction by using up, scrapping, accidental loss and ever diminishing numbers are what make the all original and not cut up or converted GPW and the P51 valuable. Every bobbed duce or CCKW turned logging truck helps in making the surviving few legendary. It is natural for the educated collector who longs to persuade all to save for future generations. But for the most part it is all in vane and time will have it's way. More than 15 million Ford Model Ts were manufactured. The happy owner of a meticulously restored 1908 would probably feel as plain as the T color choices if every one sold was revered as the monumental historically significant machines they were and garaged them all for posterity.

I take pride in the fact that every truck I have ever owned has been improved in quality while I owned it.
Now that says something right there. That is what we need to strive for.

Last edited:

FreightTrain

Banned
Just remember your "Rights" run both way.Just like you have the right to do with you want with your own property I also have the right to treat you like your a total moron or give you a total bashing if you cut up say a M108 to build a bob deuce.The typical Shut up,I bought it I can do what ever I want attitude don't work.

nattieleather

Interesting topic. I am on both sides of the fence. I wouldn't think of taking a US6 Studibaker duce from wwII and modifing it if one could find one not already modified for the logging industry or the farm. (Most of these trucks went to the USSR during WWII). On the other hand I have my M37 down to the frame and it will get turned into the my concept of the M37B3...kinda of a what if the military had stayed with the M37 in the way they did the M35 concept. In my case the truck I've started with had already been messed up by a fire department or the forest service and then billy bob and a few others before I got my hands on it, so it's modification IMHO doesn't hurt as much as the truck still in original format.

On the other hand one point that hasn't been brought up yet is the distruction of MVs by the government itself. Case in point my beloved M151s... First demil requirement cut the A arms. Then it was cut the bodies in half. Then quartered. Then smash and mutilate. Tried to buy armor from the gubment? Cut the hull in half and take the top portion and quarter it up.... So your original is fubared from the word go. How about HMMWV? Tried to buy on off of GL? Aint happening...it amazes me at the number of true GI ones out there to begin with. My point is that sometimes a MV doesn't have a chance from the word go. As soon as it is demed surplus by the military it goes to forsale to other countries, then other governement agencies (such as local PD and FD etc where they get modified for their needs) then to public sales. In the mean time if the vehicle has sat long enough it can be canibilized for parts by units to keep their equipment going....so IMHO many MVs are already beyond the pristeen example before they get the chance get into collectors hands.

Bottom line is I agree think before you mod, but it's your toy use it as you see fit and enjoy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks