• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gear lube inside wheel front axle.

sac

I noticed I have gear lube on the inside of the wheel on the front axle. I had this happen on the rear and was wondering if it is the same procedure?
I have read on here you don't use an outer seal on the front, so was wondering if you use silicone on the channel in the spindle instead of the cork.
Or do I have to look deeper on the front dif.

Thanks Scott

brianp454

There's a great thread here called something like "front axle step x step." If you search for it you will find it. Lots of pics and explanation. Oh, here it is:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?8460-Front-axle-seals-and-boots-stepXstep

Erik's Surplus has all of the parts in a kit:
http://eriksmilitarysurplus.com/m3fraxoilsea.html

Or you can get just what you need individually. I recommend doing it all at once, including wheel cylinders (or new cups). Bleed the whole brake system, etc.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You're going to be doing this:

20140916_172350_zpseff1777b.jpg20140916_175019_zps7b0513de.jpg20140916_175025.jpg20150710_142239.jpg20150710_142245.jpg20150710_145959.jpg

Jeepsinker

Yep! Order a good set of zipperless knuckle boots while you are at it.
There is a vendor here from Texas, I think his screen name is Rockwelloffroad, he sells the only good boots out there right now, as well as full axle reseal and bearing kits.

sac

Stupid question, I know the spindle has to come off, but do you have to take the knuckle off to get the axle shaft out?

Jeepsinker

If you don't destroy the retainer removing it, you can get just the seal. Best way to remove it is to take both sides apart and drive the seal and retainer out from the other side with a long aluminum bar or a wood broom handle. I use a long 1" solid aluminum round bar. Anything much bigger than 1" won't go through the differential and give you room to angle it to catch the retainer. You don't want to use a steel bar because it can damage the retainer.

A seal is like $12 last I checked. A replacement seal and retainer is $75- $125 depending on where you shop.

Flyingvan911

I did my knuckle boots this past spring. It's an easy job. Just take your time to clean and regrease everything. It's also a good time to check your brake pads, wheel cylinders, wheel bearings, etc.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you've never done it, I always recommend that when folks are in the axle to take care of an oil seal or front knuckle boot, that they rebuild the wheel (brake) cylinder (hone out the brake cylinder if it doesn't need to be replaced - IMO probably doesn't, usually just some minor rust pitting - and new inner spring + cups + outer boots), and then adjust the brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks