• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear oil from axle lock switch

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok, so I had this problem a few months ago and it went away on its own. It was hit or miss on days it did it vs didn't do it. So this morning I am using the 923 around the house and it pours gear oil from the front axle switch. I assume it is coming from the transfer case since that was low the other day when I drained and changed the fluid. It is not overfilled. I have searched all over the transfer case for a vent line and I have yet to find it, unless it is broke off somewhere. I am sure something is stopped up somewhere for it to do this. Anyone else had this issue? Or have a photo of where the vent line should be? Or could it be coming from the front axle back up? The other day when I changed the gear oil in it it did have a milky look to it since I had used it some in the mud but the fluid coming in the cab before had no milky tint to it.

It comes out from the front of the switch as well as under behind the dash. I am sure the line is just pushing it out the front of the switch as well.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same problem on my M936 and it turned out to be the valve on the top of the transfer case. The valve is the one that keeps the shifter in place and when you push the button on the shifter it releases so you can shift the transfer case.
The lift pic is of the valve and the 2nd is of the vent for the transfer case, it vents to the intake.

As the gear oil builds up it get pushed though the air switch on the front of the transfer case and all the way up to the air switch on the dash. It made a big mass in the cab on the floor and I was driving at night so I did not notice it right way.

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I had the same problem on my M936 and it turned out to be the valve on the top of the transfer case. The valve is the one that keeps the shifter in place and when you push the button on the shifter it releases so you can shift the transfer case.
The lift pic is of the valve and the 2nd is of the vent for the transfer case, it vents to the intake.

As the gear oil builds up it get pushed though the air switch on the front of the transfer case and all the way up to the air switch on the dash. It made a big mass in the cab on the floor and I was driving at night so I did not notice it right way.

Appreciate it. I have an extra transfer case that cracked in half laying at my yard, Just gotta find it under all the summer crap that likes to grow. Anything special to pulling the valve out? Or just unbolt and pull out?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little, you may have to unbolt the drive line brake cable mount to get the valve to unscrew. It is close work up on top of the transfer case.

99nouns

I had the same problem and dont ask how but some piece of rubber was stuck in that bteather T the one on the righ picture circled red T with 3 hoses connected, they are right under the spare tire carrier platform but it was easier for me to get in there from under belly of the truck between the frames next to the drive shaft took my time and slowly removed those hoses, each one of them was clogged, I have thread somewhere about it too, it is much easier if you search the threads before asking, there is a extensive info about this subject...

99nouns

I had the same problem and dont ask how but some piece of rubber was stuck in that breather T the one M54A2AZ posted on the righ picture circled red T with 3 hoses connected, they are right under the spare tire carrier platform but it was easier for me to get in there from under belly of the truck between the frames next to the drive shaft took my time and slowly removed those hoses, each one of them was clogged, I have thread somewhere about it too, it is much easier if you search the threads before asking, there is a extensive info about this subject...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I had the same problem and dont ask how but some piece of rubber was stuck in that breather T the one M54A2AZ posted on the righ picture circled red T with 3 hoses connected, they are right under the spare tire carrier platform but it was easier for me to get in there from under belly of the truck between the frames next to the drive shaft took my time and slowly removed those hoses, each one of them was clogged, I have thread somewhere about it too, it is much easier if you search the threads before asking, there is a extensive info about this subject...
Last post/thread I found was from 2012. Sorry I went crosseyed at the amount of "oil leak" threads that pop up. Today I took the valve out and installed a known good valve and new oring, blew out all the lines on the transfer case and I still have the same issue at low rpms moving trailers and what not around. Not at highway speeds. So I must have air coming into the transfer case and causing it to be pushed out. Another plumbing issue I am sure. Ill check my other trucks to see how their lines are hooked up. I know that is a common on these trucks.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last post/thread I found was from 2012. Sorry I went crosseyed at the amount of "oil leak" threads that pop up. Today I took the valve out and installed a known good valve and new oring, blew out all the lines on the transfer case and I still have the same issue at low rpms moving trailers and what not around. Not at highway speeds. So I must have air coming into the transfer case and causing it to be pushed out. Another plumbing issue I am sure. Ill check my other trucks to see how their lines are hooked up. I know that is a common on these trucks.
See if this thread helps any.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?149814-M923-A2-HI-LO-Stiff-shifting-Problems

Remove the short line, including the fittings, and plug the holes. Should be 1/4" NPT plugs. If the problem goes away then leave it like this. It won't affect anything and the T-case will shift easier. I've been running this way for a while now.

The other cylinder on the T-case is the front axle engagement cylinder. It should only be charged with air if the front axle switch is placed in the IN position. There are two possibilites here that could cause your symptoms.

If the transfer case is plumbed wrong then this cylinder will be constantly supplied with air. If it leaks then you'd have the same symptom you have now. Incorrect plumbing has been a known issue so it is a possibility. You'd be in 6x6 all the time.

If the automatic engagement switch next to the shift linkage fails it can also constantly supply the engagement cylinder with air. This could also cause the same issue if the cylinder leaks. Same thing, you'd be in 6x6 all the time. I had this happen after I bypassed the shift cylinder.

The transfer case vents to the intake stack by a line that looks like the rest of the air lines. It is not necessarily a direct routing since it goes through a Tee in the frame rail. The easiest way to trace it is to start from the intake pipe and work your way back. The vents are plumbed in on the frame rail side of the pipe.

As for being filled to the proper level, I've seen it said before and it turned out to be wrong so pardon the question. I'm only doublechecking. When you refilled the T-case, did you fill it to the hole or leave it 1/2" below when cold, per the Lube Order? Even a slightly overfilled T-case will purge oil. I speak from experience on this one too. :mrgreen:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
When I filled it back up I put 7 quarts in it at cold. I know it holds around 2 gallons up to the plug and it runs out. I will be changing it next month after I go to these few mud bogs. I did around 180 miles in her round trip today to go get a 927 and come back. She did not leak from the switch at all or into the air cleaner. even when I got to my yard and moved around real slowly and 6x6 engaged and operated just fine. I did not mess with the air lines at all today. I am going to get on it this weekend if I get around to it.

Ford Mechanic

Yeah the diffs and t-case in these arn't supposed to be filled till it runs out. You should just be able to touch it. It might could cause your problem, and it's easy enough to correct the level.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah it did it a few months ago and I drained it then and it only had 3 quarts or so in it. I have a plumbing issue more than likely that is intermittently adding air and pushing it out. Yet the air cleaner doesn't have any in it. But then again. It is so hit or miss. something is just acting stupid when it wants to.

We all have those moments on these trucks when we are like " why are you acting so stupid" and then they go back to being a normal operating truck" just hiccups I guess. If I park my 84' in front of my driveway directly on the street and let it idle before going some where it bogs and takes a few mins for it to be powerful. Just sluggish and no throttle response. If I park 10 ft back from it on the street or in the driveway it never does it. Very Temperamental

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks