• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear oil in CTIS line

Jeep Nasty

So one of the tires CTIS will not work and tire goes flat over night. I go to change out the tire and when I disconnected the the fitting on the hollow lug nut where air passes through, gear oil dumps out. Does anyone know off hand what causes this failure, I'm guessing its some seal on the axle, just not sure which one. I plan on disconnecting CTIS but I don't want any other problem with this leaking

Heavy D.

Your outer hub seal is most likely leaking... I had the same problem as you, but on all 4 of my rear tires because the ninkompoop in the Army used a screw driver to tighten the spindle nuts over the seal! needless to say they were not tightened to the proper torque if any... Any way your part number is 7061238 on Eriksmilitarysurplus.com. when the seals fail diff fluid comes from your axel shaft past the seal and into your bearings, washing them out clean and into the the CTIS lines running throughout. you need to take care of the problem ASAP to avoid stress on your golden bearings and repack with grease.

Good luck

Paul

Jeep Nasty

Your outer hub seal is most likely leaking... I had the same problem as you, but on all 4 of my rear tires because the ninkompoop in the Army used a screw driver to tighten the spindle nuts over the seal! needless to say they were not tightened to the proper torque if any... Any way your part number is 7061238 on Eriksmilitarysurplus.com. when the seals fail diff fluid comes from your axel shaft past the seal and into your bearings, washing them out clean and into the the CTIS lines running throughout. you need to take care of the problem ASAP to avoid stress on your golden bearings and repack with grease.

Good luck

Paul
Are there any other parts I should replace or tackle while I'm inside of there? This will be my first time digging into a Rockwell axle, all my experience relates to Jeep Dana axles. Do you happen to know the part number for Eric's on that golden bearing I wouldn't mind having a spare one on hand just in case I pop it open and its worn-out.
thanks. Or is this going to be that special CTI S bearing that cost a small fortune with my plan to disconnect CTIS anyway..do you know the number for the bearing that I can convert to off of A2, If that's the case is swapping out that Bearing pretty straightforward to the a2 to style or do I need to search for a thread on some detail about How to do it

Last edited:

Heavy D.

Well the reason I say "golden" is that it might as well be made of gold! They run around 500 dollars and up for just 1 yes 1. Many vendors out there have them, just do some searching. You should download the TMs on our truck in the applicable aection of this website. As long as you are disabling the CTIS there shouldn't be any other parts you need to replace provided everything is ok in there. You will need a spindle nut socket from NAPA for about 30 bucks, it is 8 sided, but I don't recall the size off the top of my head.

TopSecretSpeed

Gents, new to the forum and looking for the manual that shows all this. Working on a M35A3C with gear oil out the CTIS line and everywhere else. Anyone got the pub number or a link? I browsed through the deuce TM's and didn't see anything for the A3c

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Gents, new to the forum and looking for the manual that shows all this. Working on a M35A3C with gear oil out the CTIS line and everywhere else. Anyone got the pub number or a link? I browsed through the deuce TM's and didn't see anything for the A3c
I am the normal 5 years behind on things, like this thread, but SS has the answers in there someplace.

Use the search thing, top right. As with all searches one can actually ask for too much and not find what it is
I used M35A3. See post #8.
If you are unfamiliar how to search thru TM's just ask.