• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear Oil Leak Under Drivers Side

trider

I have a fresh leak than just recently started under the drivers side of my truck. I have taken a picture to show where it appears the leak is coming from. Can someone tell me exactly what this part is and what I should try first to stop the leak? It looks like maybe an adjustment screw of some sort. Thanks for the help.

IMG_0749.jpgIMG_0750.jpgIMG_0747.jpg

welldigger

Not exactly uncommon for a steering box to leak. You basically have 2 choices. Either rebuild the steering box or fill it with John deere cornhead grease.

Obviously the correct way is to rebuild the box. Though it isn't an uncommon thing to fill a manual steering box with flowable grease. I filled mine with grease since the shaft seal was leaking on my truck. No issues yet. I don't forsee any either.

trider

I have had the truck about 8-10 months and been driving it no leaks until just now although I suspect the previous owner didn't drive it much. I thought maybe it was just leaking around the screw that looks like an adjustment screw and there might be an easy fix for that.

Woodsplinter

Mine does the same and there is no easy fix. I read the TM and some threads on rebuilding and decided to drain and refill mine with corn head grease. No more leaking.

By the way, that's some nasty looking grease coming out of yours. It's probably never been changed.

Last edited:

trider

Mine does the same and there is no easy fix. I read the TM and some threads on rebuilding and decided to drain and refill mine with corn head grease. No more leaking.
Did yours leak around the same spot mine appears to be leaking? How is the best way to fill with cornhead grease and how do you know when you have enough? I have read on here some people fill through the drain hole until it comes out the fill hole.

Woodsplinter

Yes, it was leaking from the same spot. I used a power grease gun and pumped in 2 or 3 tubes of grease through the drain hole. Can't remember exactly how much but it's not super critical.

welldigger

The steering box holds 3 1/2 tubes of grease. I forget the size bushing I used, but I screwed a zerk fitting into a brass bushing. I then screwed that into the bottom drain hole. Then pumped until grease came out of the fill hole.

trider

I will be heading to get some grease from JD tomorrow. On a different note do you know how much cornhead grease to put in both sides of the winch? It also seeps and I have been meaning to drain it and install cornhead grease as well. I see varying amount when I search the site. Some say use it ounce for ounce with what the LO says and some same much more in the winch. Thanks for your help.

welldigger

I don't have a winch truck but I don't see why the same process can't be used. Worst case the excess grease seeps out of the seal. I don't know how much it would hold though.