• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear oil level in axles?

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you check the gear oil level in the axles? I put "some" back in after the hub delete but want to make sure I have "enough" in there. Should it be level with the fill plug? A certain distance below?

Can anyone point me to the correct TM passage?

Specifically for a 2000 M1088A1.

Thanks in advance!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How do you check the gear oil level in the axles? I put "some" back in after the hub delete but want to make sure I have "enough" in there. Should it be level with the fill plug? A certain distance below?

Can anyone point me to the correct TM passage?

Specifically for a 2000 M1088A1.

Thanks in advance!
You could be dead nut level with the fill plug and be okay,
OR
You could reach in with your finger (bend the first nuckle) and touch oil and still be perfect too. That measurement would be about a half inch down.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea what he said lol fill the main chunk up till its to the bottom of the fill hole and on your hubs put the fill plug of the hub to 4 oclock and fill till its about to run out and your set !

Ronmar

Manual says the diff level is acceptable if within 1" of the bottom of the fill hole.
I forget where that is exactly, will have to look it up.

The rear hubs are tied to the axle pumpkin so will ultimately find their own level, and any excess will flow bacl along the axle To the pumpkin. But good idea to add some to them initially so the outer bearings start out wet.

For the fronts, rotate the hub filler plug, or the mount hole you are using as a filler hole on the Eco Hub, to the 4 Oclock position and fill till oil just runs back out. This should approximate the oil level that the rear hub outer bearings run at...

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the ECO hubs having a smaller oil capacity and since there's no gears to fling it around I filled mine to the 3 o-clock position (halfway). I don't want the bearing becoming uncovered during long drives at speed since that will cause the oil to collect in a ring around the circumference of the hub and there is no spinning gear set to disrupt that oil ring being held by centrifugal force.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks