• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear Ratios Differential

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone confirm the gear ratios used in the differentials and when they were changed??

My understanding is they went from 2.56 to 2.73 and then 3.08. But what years were they used/changed?

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From a thread post from RetiredWarHorses.........maybe this is the answer.

Easier is too tell what model year the truck is...
85-94 A0-A1 have 2:56
all A2’s have 2:73
ECV on up, 3:08

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another question..........if the truck isn't used for hauling or heavy loads and I want better highway cruising.........the 2.56 is best gear ratio??

I think it will affect the 'take off' by being slower (especially if heavy).......but better top end. Correct?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From a thread post from RetiredWarHorses.........maybe this is the answer.

Easier is too tell what model year the truck is...
85-94 A0-A1 have 2:56
all A2’s have 2:73
ECV on up, 3:08
If RetiredWarHorses posted it, you can pretty much take it as gospel for these trucks.

Another question..........if the truck isn't used for hauling or heavy loads and I want better highway cruising.........the 2.56 is best gear ratio??

I think it will affect the 'take off' by being slower (especially if heavy).......but better top end. Correct?
Short answer is: yes, it will cruise at highway speed more efficiently all else being the same.

Slightly longer answer: depending on what gearing you are starting with, while it will be more efficient, it won't be massively so. Any truck that didn't come with 2.56 gearing already came with a 4 speed transmission rather than a 3 speed, so changing the gear ratio won't do a whole lot.

Long answer is this (use the math for basic reference, it might be off but it should be close enough)

As long as it is within the power band of the engine. If the engine RPMs are too high or too low it will burn more fuel at the same speed than if it is within that band. Also what you consider "highway cruising".

With the ECV and newer they are turbo motors so they might have a little different sweet spot.

It's not a huge difference though.

2.56 final gear ratio is 4.86. at 2500 RPMs in 3rd gear (direct drive) that would be 56.6 mph.
2.73 final gear ratio is 5.19. at 2500 RPMS in 3rd gear (direct drive) that would be 53.0 mph
3.08 final gear ratio is 5.85. at 2500 RPMs in 3rd gear (direct drive) that would be 47.0 mph.

peak power is something like 2k rpms, best efficiency between 1800-2100 or so I've read.

So it would make a noticable difference putting the 2.56 gears into a 3.08 geared truck for top speed, but not as much for a 2.73.

Remember though, the trucks with the 2.73 and 3.08 gearing came with a 4 speed transmission. Those trucks are much closer to the peak power output of the motor running 60ish to begin with. Changing out the diff gearing wouldn't that much difference unless your plan is to cruise at 75+ MPH.

A2 trucks (2.73 gears) have a listed top speed of 78mph. I don't know what it is for the 3.08 trucks, but if it's the same RPM limit on the ECV/REV trucks as the A2, then it should be around 70 mph I would think.

Changing either the 3.08 or 2.73 to 2.56 would give a top speed of 83mph, so not a lot of gain on the A2, but noticeable on the ECV/REV.
As you said though, it would be slower to accelerate with those gears, and would also create more heat in the engine and transmission (not as big of a deal in a civilian rig weighing 7k lbs, but a big deal when the truck weighs 12-14k lbs or more and is operating in 130 degree deserts)

Note: so it's getting late and I'm past my bedtime. I didn't necessarily research everything posted above on everything, but I tried.
The information I found shows a 37 inch tire has 545 rotations per mile. Ours are closer to 36.5" diameter, and wear affect that, but it's close enough.
I recall the geared hubs being 1.9 ratio, so that is what I used. I might be wrong on this, which if I am let me know and I'll try to fix my math.
I also don't pay a huge amount of attention to the transmission gear ratios, which is why I said "3rd gear/direct drive". if it isn't direct drive at third let me know.
Not sure what the overdrive ratio is in overdrive on the 4 speed transmissions, so just used the 78 mph as a baseline and did the math from there, using the same percentage difference between speeds in 4th as in 3rd gear.
Most people say 55mph top sustained speed for the 3 speed transmission, and 2500 RPMs for my math seemed close enough for this purpose if all the other math is close enough.
brain is all fuzzy, I'm going to bed.

Last edited:

Augi

3-speed trucks all have 2.56's. It needs all of it to get you going 55mph.

If you've got a 4-speed then 2.73 is the way to go. The extra advantage and slightly increased RPM of the engine at 55-65 mph make the truck much nicer to drive. You don't have to constantly mash the pedal to maintain a constant speed every time there is a slight rise in the road.

This engine doesn't really have enough oomph to run in 4th with the 2.56's.

Augi

PS 3rd gear is 1:1, 4th gear is .75:1 and the geared hubs are 1.92:1

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coug just wow. Thanks for the information. Augi thanks as well.

This truck has a 6.5 and 4 speed from another truck (newer truck)........will be getting a turbo put on it.

I'm thinking with the 6.5 and especially the turbo the 2.56 will be good especially going 70-75 mph.

Augi I don't understand why the 2.56 would run hotter all things being equal......I would think you'd be running lower RPMs so less heat. What am I missing if this is true?

azulrios

I know this link was in 2021 but I will ask anyway; I have 2.56 : 1 but do not the combined ratio including the geared hubs of 1.92 : 1. Please advise as I have installed a HGM harness to my 4L80E powered by 1992 CUMMINS 5.9L 6BT engine and within the setup, the software asks for the ratio.

springer1981

I know this link was in 2021 but I will ask anyway; I have 2.56 : 1 but do not the combined ratio including the geared hubs of 1.92 : 1. Please advise as I have installed a HGM harness to my 4L80E powered by 1992 CUMMINS 5.9L 6BT engine and within the setup, the software asks for the ratio.
2.56 x 1.92 = 4.915
You can round up or down 4.91 or 4.92

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks