• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear Vendors Overdrive unit

houstonrealtor

Has anyone used this on a m998? I wanted to order one, however, when I called GV they said that they don't make on for all wheel drive such as the Humvee. I have seen many people recommend them to Humvee owners on the forums so was just curious if anyone has actually used one?

Last edited by a moderator:

86sa

There was in the 80's a torque converter for turbo hydro 350 and 400 transmissions that had planetary gears inside and acted like an overdrive. I think made by B&M.

houstonrealtor

You'll prolly spend as much as a 4 speed swap.
will need new drive shafts either way, and last time i priced an over drive it was almost 3 grand alone.
Driveshafts arent a problem, I can easily have them modified. The 4l80e swap seems too complicated. Have to add a TPS, 12v signal, different shifter and I don't know for sure but probably I doubt the np218 will bolt to it (and can't seem to find an adaptor) so would have to find a different transfer case too.

There was in the 80's a torque converter for turbo hydro 350 and 400 transmissions that had planetary gears inside and acted like an overdrive. I think made by B&M.
Hmm never heard of such a thing and can't imagine how it would work seeing as there is slippage in a torque converter so not sure how it could be and higher ratio than a lockup 1:1 converter but will definitely do some research on this.

Thanks for the input.

86sa

counter rotating vanes coupled to planetary gears once spinning fast enough fluid would make vanes rotate the same direction enabling planetary gears to turn output shaft faster.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks