• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear Vendors

EF-5

Alright, so I just purchased some used gear vendors that came off of a Ford c-6 transmission. I know you have to buy an adapter for the Chevy np208, but is there anything else that needs to be done? For instance, will I have to buy a new speedo cable?

Gear vendors also come with a 4x4 lockout capability, but because the vendors I bought came from a 2WD truck the lockout cable is not there. It seems to be a phone jack for the inserts on the computer. Would there be anyway I could make my own 4x4 lockout connector?

EF-5

I was under the impression from other threads and the gear vendor website that all that was needed to switch out units were different adapters. The website stated that all units were universal except for the adapter. Also every craigslist add that i saw stated that the appropriate adapter must be purchased, but as far as the individual units are concerned they can be swapped out.

I hope that i was under the right impression.

EF-5

Dallas, Ga (About 30 miles Northwest of Atlanta)

I just read a thread where a guy swapped gear vendors from a motor home to his 4x4 truck, both having different transmissions. He said he called up gear vendors, and the only thing he would need is the coupler (for the proper spline count) and the adapter. So looks like that is all I will need as well.

EF-5

I am calling GV tomorrow to order the coupler. Mine did not come with the master switch so I'm going to see about getting another one from them.

I think the only thing the master switch does is switch it from "auto" to "manual" so I think I could just run it without it, and the computer would engage and disengage the overdrive on its own.

EF-5

Also I found a speedometer gear calibration chart. It says I need a 35 tooth count gear for an axle ratio of 4.56 with 37's. I read that the HMMWV aren't true 37's. Is this true?

truck1

I installed a Gear Vendor unit on my M1028 and love it.It took a little tweaking to get the right drive line adjustment,but it dropped my RPM's by 5-600.At 70 MPH I'm @ 23-2400 RPM.As far as correct speedo gear ,I used a blue 38 tooth stock GM speedo gear,still available if you search.There is a lot of info regarding the install,pretty simple,took 1/2 day.This unit will make highway driving bearable and more economical..PM me for ph.# if you'd like further info.:beer:

acesneights1

AFAIK The GV unit is universal and you buy the appropriate adapter. That said you better post some pics and serious detail...:-D
A GV combined with my NV4500 would probably be really cool. Double secret Overdrive, I'll call it....:driver:

EF-5

acesneights1 I will definitely post many pictures. I'll try include as much details and diagrams as possible!

I shot some emails back and forth with GV and it looks like I'm going to bypassing the computer all together with a toggle switch setup, at least for now. I apparently have the old style computer, so the dash switches they have in stock are not compatible with my unit. A new computer is $370, the dash switch is $60, and the 4x4 lockout wire is $24.95. I don't have the money right now to purchase a new a computer.

My plan right now is to wire my own system up. Let me know if you guys think this is a good setup. I want/need advice in order to make a fail safe system. Bare in mind this is rough thinking right now.

I figure I can use my 4x4 dummy light wires for a 4x4 lockout. I could use a relay that cuts power to the rest of my toggle switch system when my transfer case is shifted in to 4WD. The base of this toggle switch circuit will be the 4x4 lockout, so it will override any power to the GV solenoid regardless. I can use two switches for the overdrive (two is not necessary, but purely for fail safe purposes). I can tie in a master power switch to the ignition. Once the truck is on I can flip the illuminated power switch on, thus providing power for the second switch that is in direct control of the solenoid. This is so I don't inadvertently bump the overdrive switch when I'm not supposed to. Also when I'm in reverse I can be rest assured that the master power switch off. LED's will be illuminated accordingly, as each switch is active.

I hope some this makes sense. Please chime in with advice/ideas!

Thanks again.

EF-5

Well the spline coupler is $130. The adapter from the NP208 to GV unit, I understand, is pretty expensive. I bought one off of EBAY for $285, brand new with all the gaskets and shims. However, I think I read on a thread where the adapters from GV run about $500.

They show up occasionally on EBAY. You just have to wait for the one you need. Hope this helps!

I should be drawing up a wiring diagram pretty soon. I'm in finals right now.....:cry:.

DrJekl

Here is a link to another thread on SS. I posted pics of my GV on the last page.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/70348-new-cucv-front-winch-bumper-winch-lights-3.html

The problem with the NP-208 is the lack of a slip yolk eliminator for the GM units. NP-205s had many applications with fixed yolks. They are short and just taking of the tail housing and slapping on the adapter is pretty easy. My GV unit was from a Dodge 208 so I had to swap the tail shaft. if they do make a 208 kit you would need the short output shaft otherwise your GV would be a mile long. if they make a Dodge 208 GV kit, look at it. I know the bolt pattern on the Dodge unit will be different though. We mated parts from a GM 208 and Dodge 208 so the Chevy unit would be a fixed yolk. Not an easy teak by the way! You'd think a 208 was a 208 when they are both passenger drop but no so much even when you understand spline counts are different.

The 4x4 lock out just keeps you from turning on the OD unit while in 4X4. You don't need it if you just switch to manual mode and can remember to keep it there when in 4x4 mode so you don't break anything.

I have seen some local GV units for $1,000-1500. I am not willing to pay that much for a used unit as it will run you that much for a rebuild and you are near new price so just buy new with a warranty and the right pieces. By the time you get all the right stuff you can almost buy a new one in many cases.

I have the GV wiring diagram around here someplace if you need it. The phone type connectors us only two wires on most of the runs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks