• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geared hub input seal retainer shims

DatGuyC

While removing the retainer to replace the input seal I broke the shims that were behind the retainer. I ordered new ones from kascar but the ones I ordered seem thinner than the ones I took off. Also the new ones are clear while the old ones are a solid brown. I'm wondering if there are different shims for the hubs and if they are indeed different thicknesses. There were 4 of the brown shims on the hub, where I hear most only have one or two.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have them is different sizes...you add them to the correct tolerance so the plate does not over tighten the upper spur gear once the 4, 3/8 bolts are torqued. The TM has the procedure.
if you get it all torqued and cannot turn the spindle somewhat freely, it's too tight, too loose, and...well, to much play.
your supposed to use a feeler gauge to set them correctly, you could micro the old shim and just try and get the same thickness from the new shims....I do use A thin film of RTV on the seal plate and hub surface...this will prevent seeping..IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks