• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geared hub shims

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As usual what started as a small project turned into a monster.
The output shaft seal started leaking, so I decided to replace all four, while being there, I decided to replace all upper seals.
I'm also replacing all CV boots and repacking the bearings, just in case I get bored
I'm aware about the shims, I had a clear , blue and brown one, I have 40 of the clear ones on order, seems that those are the only ones available.
Does someone know the value or thickness of each color shims ?

Thank you

dhaumann69166

The clear ones that came with my hub seal kit are 0.005 inches. The seal kit said to get it in spec usually you need 5 to 7.
Do you happen to know what’s the specs are for installation?

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will have to look it up, since the bearings are good, I was just going the replace the original ones, but they seemed to have different thickness, and they are of different colors. maybe I should just take a caliper and measure the stack and replace the old ones.
More digging in the books will be called for, I think I read somewhere that a feller gauge is used to determine the thickness of the shims

dhaumann69166

Well I guess it’s time to tear apart the hub on my Humvee and do it right. When I installed new seals I just took it apart, put seals in, and put it back together. Didn’t think anything about multiple gaskets to space it out. Glad someone brought this up before I ****ed up my hub.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I guess it’s time to tear apart the hub on my Humvee and do it right. When I installed new seals I just took it apart, put seals in, and put it back together. Didn’t think anything about multiple gaskets to space it out. Glad someone brought this up before I ****ed up my hub.
I’m also guessing you can use a feeler gauge to measure if you don’t have dial gauge handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished shimming the rear, not too bad of a job, there is a lot of prep work, i started with 4 shims and measured from there, one side had 5 and the other needed 7 shims
I also went with the 2 part seal, got the tool of of e-bay and if you plan on changing the output seal, you will need the socket in order to apply the right torque.
A good torque wrench will help. you will also need loctite
All in all I think I have about three hours per hub, input & output seal, shims and removing the halfshaft, repacking and new cv boots and new hub lube
I also replaced the transfer case oil as well as both diff's
For the halfshaft, you can use a long extension and remove the six bolts with an impact wrench.
I did find that on two if the halfshaft the bolts secured them trough the hub were only finger loose, so good maintenance is a must at least once a year
IMG_2130.JPGIMG_2132.JPGIMG_2139.JPGIMG_2151.JPG

Ajax MD

So, it looks like I'm leaking from the input seal (inner-upper).

I'm looking at the -20 and all it says is:
Shim gaskets must be reused to maintain proper drive gear bearing adjustment.
That means that I can reuse my existing shims without ordering new ones? Is it bad to reuse the shims?
Also, the seal procedure doesn't explain how to determine how many shims to set proper drive gear bearing adjustment. How do you know how many shims to use?

Also, which works best- 1 piece or 2 piece seal kit?
Can I still use the special seal driving tool with either kit?

I'd like to get these answers before throwing money at the problem. :) Thanks!

FKAM

So, it looks like I'm leaking from the input seal (inner-upper).

I'm looking at the -20 and all it says is:

That means that I can reuse my existing shims without ordering new ones? Is it bad to reuse the shims?
Also, the seal procedure doesn't explain how to determine how many shims to set proper drive gear bearing adjustment. How do you know how many shims to use?

Also, which works best- 1 piece or 2 piece seal kit?
Can I still use the special seal driving tool with either kit?

I'd like to get these answers before throwing money at the problem. :) Thanks!
Use TM 9-2320-280-34 Pages 9-10 thru 9-17 (Change 2). It will walk you thru replacing all the seals, shimming and associated tolerances.
I used new shims, didn't want anything to leak after doing all the work to get the hubs off, serviced and on again.
I have only used the 1-peice seals, so don't know which is better.

Ajax MD

Use TM 9-2320-280-34 Pages 9-10 thru 9-17 (Change 2). It will walk you thru replacing all the seals, shimming and associated tolerances.
I used new shims, didn't want anything to leak after doing all the work to get the hubs off, serviced and on again.
I have only used the 1-peice seals, so don't know which is better.
If you're not reporting any problems with the one piece seals, that's good enough for me. Thanks for the TM reference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks