• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geared lug wrench

FLYWHEEL

Just a quick question, I have recently bought a geared lug wrench, if I stand on the bar which came with it will I be able to achieve the required torque to tighten the lug nuts? I weigh about 200 lbs.
There must be some mathematical equations to work this out but unfortunately I don't know it, so I am hoping that some of you guys might.
cheers, Mark

Torque is a rotational force that is the product of the force and fulcrum length.
If you apply your weight of 200 lbs at a fulcrum length of 1 foot you will generate 200 lbs/ft of torque. at a fulcrum length of 1.5 feet, you would generate 300 lbs/ft.
Lug nut torque for the Deuce is 325-350 lbs/ft. So if you applied your weight at 1.5 feet, with a bowling ball in each hand, you should be in there.
Most torque specs assume clean lubricated threads but the TM's make no mention of lube when replacing nuts.

FLYWHEEL

Torque is a rotational force that is the product of the force and fulcrum length.
If you apply your weight of 200 lbs at a fulcrum length of 1 foot you will generate 200 lbs/ft of torque. at a fulcrum length of 1.5 feet, you would generate 300 lbs/ft.
Lug nut torque for the Deuce is 325-350 lbs/ft. So if you applied your weight at 1.5 feet, with a bowling ball in each hand, you should be in there.
Most torque specs assume clean lubricated threads but the TM's make no mention of lube when replacing nuts.
Does this take into account of the gear ratio of the wrench ?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Honestly, your best bet is a torque wrench. No guess work involved there. You might need a 4th bowling ball if you took a crap that morning!

Does this take into account of the gear ratio of the wrench ?
No. This would be for a simple bar. The geared wrench will multiply torque by its ratio.
Breaking the nuts loose for removal is where the geared wrench comes in handy. Putting them back on is the easy part.

rustystud

Always use a torque wrench to put you lug nuts back on with. Never guess. I have actually seen wheels come off trucks due to the fact someone didn't torque the lug nuts.
In fact our transit agency has been sued over 3 times due to wheels coming off and hitting people !!! We now have these fluorescent tabs that go on the lug nuts to show if a nut is coming off. You also should retorque the lug nuts after running 100 miles on the truck.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We always lubricate the threads on any lug nuts, be they military, agricultural, construction, or automotive. We use anti-seize compound. Sure makes removal easier in the future, especially if it has been a long time since they were taken off. I have had others immediately tell me the wheels will come off if the threads were lubricated but in over 50 years of experience both in agricultural/heavy truck repair shops and my home shop/farm I have never had this happen but I make sure they are properly tightened and re-check them after in they service for a time.
Regards Martin

61sleepercab

Who knows how long it has been since the lug nuts have been off the studs. I have found that a good soaking over time of penetrating oil like in US, P.B. Blaster and wrapp the nuts with a hammer to vibrate.
Try geared wrench again with possible longer bar and bounce your force off and on the bar.
If no go , heat the outer nut with a propane torch or welding torch till oil sizzles and immediately try geared wrench again while still hot.
If no go soak with oil again and repeat.
Last resort heat outside nut dull red with torch and try again...... no go cut outside nut but do not cut thread area and take cold chisel or air chisel and separate nut into two pieces. You can also use cut off wheel in grinder and make slot in nut and chisel off.
Heat, soaking ,vibration, and time will normally work. Some wheel nuts will just not come off. Remember that each side is either left or right hand thread.
A big impact gun may work but it may spin the outside nut with the inner nut and then try to screw the outside rim off the hub studs. If the nuts come off in one piece spinning in the hole and you must cut the outer nut off the inner nut .
Time soaking,heating and repeating will work most of the time.
I took nuts off a storage trailer and it took a month of tinkering and some had to be cut out of the wheels. Good luck Mark

rustystud

We always lubricate the threads on any lug nuts, be they military, agricultural, construction, or automotive. We use anti-seize compound. Sure makes removal easier in the future, especially if it has been a long time since they were taken off. I have had others immediately tell me the wheels will come off if the threads were lubricated but in over 50 years of experience both in agricultural/heavy truck repair shops and my home shop/farm I have never had this happen but I make sure they are properly tightened and re-check them after in they service for a time.
Regards Martin
It is standard procedure to lubricate the stud threads on our buses. I like to use anti-seize also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks