• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geared lug wrench

jbsapp

I received the equivalent of a GTR43 "power wrench" set from a vendor on ebay on Thursday. I tested it on the front lugs to see what I was up against and it broke them free, no problem, with the 18 inch bar. With 200 lbs of weight, rough calculation puts it somewhere near 900lbs of output force (200lbs x 1.5ft [bar length] x 3 [torque reduction]). For the rear outer lugs, you only have to use the 18" bar, because the inner budd cap socket secures the torquing action against the budd thimbles and prevents them from turning. Switching to the large bar turns the inner budd thimbles after you have loosened the outer nuts.

The pictures show the large bar (in this case, being used as a "reaction bar") digging into the ground on the front wheel because there is no inner budd thimble. Turn the small bar towards the head-lights and they crack loose.

I ended up replacing one of the weather-checked rears with a fresh wheel/tire (I have 12 extras littering the yard). The only difficult part was heaving the new one onto the hub. A brick strategically placed under the new wheel made matters easier.

I really like quality hand tools. There are some other threads here that were essential reading to figure this thing out. :beer:

Attachments

jbsapp

Is that a homemade tool? Looks like would be easy to make humm
Not home made, I think this one is made by Sweeney Co. Ken-tool lists them new for about $500 (I paid a fraction of that for mine). It was issued to motorpools.

jbsapp

What are the dimensions of the bars? I have one, but I don't have the bars to go with it.
20 1/2" x 3/4"

36" x 1 5/32" if my eyes read my caliper right. Inner diameter is slightly bigger than the smaller bar, maybe 7/8".

Ken-tool sells the bars, by the way. TR43 for the little one, TR53 for the big one. They may be heat treated.

Last edited:

HanksDeuce

I bought this one from LugWrench.Biz. It's got a 58:1 conversion. Timntrucks has seen me use it on my deuce at his house. It's the coolest thing since cold beer. Well, maybe not that cool.
It's $160 plus the ride.
:beer:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZT3IuKtvs&feature=player_embedded[/media]

greg2560

Nice what a deal looks cool. Good for on the road!!!!!!

I bought this one from LugWrench.Biz. It's got a 58:1 conversion. Timntrucks has seen me use it on my deuce at his house. It's the coolest thing since cold beer. Well, maybe not that cool.
It's $160 plus the ride.
:beer:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZT3IuKtvs&feature=player_embedded[/media]

houdel

Easy way to get the tire on once you get the hub at the right height is to put the tire on the blade of a shovel. Then jiggle the handle around to line the tire up.

SteveKuhn

Having one of these w/out bars, I used the part numbers in the thread and found this reference for replacement parts (w/ pictures):
http://www.kentool.com/img/Repair%20Parts%20and%20Accessories.pdf

It includes this:
31554 T54 T54-12 Bar & Assembly 31554-12
31554 T54 T54A Repair Kit for T54 31554-99
34543 TR43 TR45 Bar Handle 20-1/2'' Lg., 3/4 Dia. 34543-02
34543 TR43 TR46 Handle 20'' Tube, 1-1/8 O.D. 34543-03

From this, it reads like the small bar fits inside the large (bar) tube. Is that right?

Steve

joeM62

I just use the 40-48 inch breaker bar wtih a 3/4 end and a bud socket that I got from Northern Tool and Equipment it does the job.

joeM62

I've had that happen and didn't take much to fix that problem I carry both the bud and the 13/16 socket out of all the rims I have took and changed I've only had that happen one time. But that big braker bar does what it needs to but I might have to look into lugwrench.biz you never can have to many tools. to get the job done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks