• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geared lug wrench

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've dealt with the nut locked to the thimble before. Without a porkchop I figured I'd just bang the heck out of it with the 1" impact with the rims bolted in plate with the other studs. It had no choice but to turn but it popped the stud loose and pushed it in. Now it's just a simple matter of reaching for the geared wrench. I really need to buy the reaction bars for mine.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the military geared wrenches and love them.
For front nuts or rear wheel thimbles that do not want to come loose reasonably, I take an aluminum bar about 1 1/2" diameter and 12" long, put one end on a flat of the nut, hold it at about a 45 to 60 degree angle to the centerline of the lug bolt and give it a smart rap with a heavy hammer. This usually loosens the stubborn nut or thimble. I have done this for years on all kinds of machinery with no damage to parts or subsequent lug failures.
Regards Marti

Bcurtman

Will the hand crank model work inside the deep dish dual on the rear of the deuce? All the pictures show them being used on the front wheel... I was looking at one on e-gay.

Will the hand crank model work inside the deep dish dual on the rear of the deuce? All the pictures show them being used on the front wheel... I was looking at one on e-gay.
Yup i just changed a tire last week with it. The one i got from Ebay for $160 came with all the sockets and even the one for the bud wheels. It works great.

jbsapp

Those torque multiplying lug wrenches look like they do the job well, but watch out for the case when the outer lug is stuck to the inner lug (rust-welded). In that case, you will need a porch chop wrench to hold the outer in place while you loosen the inner. I encountered one a couple weeks ago.

See http://www.steelsoldiers.com/553750-post16.html

The benefit of the motorpool geared lug wrench (GTR43) is that it is designed to handle those situations. Without that, you might need a pork chop.

seabeeut

tried mine out today NICE!!!!!!:jumpin:
never leaving home without it
cost me 140 including shipping and came with both bars

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks