• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gearvendor

myJEEPisAfatty

well for instance if 4 low or granny 1st were just a little bit "too low" for what ever terrain you were on you could combine 4high + granny + OD or which ever combo. It gives you more gearing options.

BigRig379

Ok I might not have the same kit as you are talking about but originally I had a six speed but with a dual range transmission I can split every gear while in 4x4 if I tried to do that with a gearvendor transmission it would not work unless the 4x4 was disengaged

kenz5380

So I said I would update after I changed my gears. Well I couldn't be happier. I put the 3.73s in the rear end and just took a drive on the interstate. I don't know my exact speed as I haven't gotten a new speedo gear yet, but I was easily keeping up with traffic as well as passing some cars and trucks without winding up that engine. It also made my pick up around town much better. I can get away from a stop sign far quicker than previously. I understand that I lost some tow capacity as well as some off road capacity, but this is perfect for what I need. My parts cost me $0 as I traded a guy who was building an offroad rig and my buddy and I did the work in my driveway. I will have to pay a shop to do the front dif as I don't have all the required equipment to do that myself. It was a **** of a lot better than dropping 3 grand on a gearvendors. Now all i have to do is work out my electrical issues and I'll have my new daily driver ready to hit the road.

allrevup

I just came upon a couple copys of information that you may get a laughter...
I don't know what our problem is squising good mileage out of this 6.2 diesel engines?
According to the GM propaganda machine and the EPA back in1982
a properly equip 4WD pickup truck= 29 HWY. 22 CITY and can haul up to 13,500 lbs.
well look for yourself

In all fairness ther were 2wheel drive, high geard, light plane Jane's with manuals trassmission avalible in other markets that may have come close to this "optimistic" claims...

the last photo is of a Dino test, I belive it was for a late 6.2L, better built but not much more there

Attachments

Last edited:

kenz5380

I haven't had my M1008 on the road long enough to get good fuel numbers, but I have a 95 G30 with a 6.5 that gets numbers similar to these if I drive it unloaded. It would be great if my 1008 with the new gears got numbers like the brochure says, but I doubt it. The civilian versions didn't weigh as much I don't think.

DrJekl

I am a bit late getting in on this thread. I just bought a used Gear Vendors kit that was behind a Dodge Cummins 4x4. It has a 205 case that comes with the kit and though there may be some shaft differences we'll be able to make this kit work with the 205 in my truck.. My 1031 gets used a lot on the highway and was doing well with fuel economy at 16 MPG until a changed my leaky IP and now 12-14 is a good day. Anyway, a friend of mine found this kit and we were able to get it bought. He is doing the install for me now and should have it up an running soon. Looking forward to having it going. The web site, if I interpret it correctly, tells me I should feel a 3.55 gear in OD. We'll see.

Their site has a price tag of $2900 for a new kit. I spoke with them and they said that local dealers can do better on price or may offer military discounts. Something to look into. If you are using your truck a lot, you could pay for this kit in fuel and wear and tear avoidance. You can find used kits on ebay and CL. Just make sure you get the complete kit with wiring , control box, etc. Wiring kits run $450, rebuilds are $6-800 so keep that in mind when buying used. They are commonly found on motor homes, big diesels, etc.

DrJekl

And I would say those fuel economy numbers were achieveable on a closed track under good conditions. My M1009 gets 18-22 with 18 being in town and me driving like a mad man. I get 17 all day long in my 09 1500 with 5.3L in it so I'd say that is respectable for a 25 year old truck. A new truck with new everything driven like you were going to church on Sunday should be able to get mid 20s with highway gears.

DrJekl

My GV is installed and working. I am running 60 now and the engine sounds like she did at 45. 45 seemed to be the sweet spot for fuel economy and the engine did not sound like she was working too hard.

My wiring worked well and did not need to be replaced. I did have to buy a new speed sensor as the used kit I bought was missing the sensor. Bought a Dakota Digital unit, the same I am using for my LS1 conversion in the Jeep Tug project, from Summit for $36. The wiring on the GV kit is pretty clunky but it works I suppose.

The unit seems to work well. I have $850 in the kit. The drive shaft was the long pole in the tent. We used the end of the Dodge shaft with the slip joint on one end and the other end from a Chevy 3/4 ton shaft with a smaller diameter than the CUCV shaft but has the correct u-joint size. I think the investment will be worth it in the end.

I'll post some pics when I get some spare time.