• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gearvendors question

samuraicrawler

So instead of messing with a 4l80e swap I have came up with an idea, sure its not an original but wondering if it may work.
I am still doing some research but it seems to be reasonably simple to swap to a 2wd transfer case, so could I do that and use GV unit to split gears in 2wd? That would give me plenty of gearing and when in 4wd I would just use the regular 3 speed transmission gears.

I hope this idea works but I wanted to see if I could get some input and make sure I'm thinking about the right.

I called them a while back while waiting on my paperwork clear, throwing around the idea of OD or a trans swap.

GearVendors said, very adamantly, they do not make a overdrive that will fit in a HMMWV application without drastic drive line modification.
Said they have some TH400 applications that work in a part time 4wd set up, but would require lots to get it going on the HMMWV, and do not recommend it.

samuraicrawler

Thats what I was told too when I talked to them, however, the guy was not very familiar with the HMMWV and did not know what all was needed to do the swap. He was thinking that it would be very difficult to swap transfer cases and that fuel tanks had to be relocated, linkages needed to be swapped etc. I really don't think it is a very big deal to change the TC. I am not at expert and have never done a TC swap on a HMMWV so thats why I'm wanting someone with more knowledge to tell em yay or nay. In all honesty, if I am thinking correctly (which I have been known not to do) it seems too simple to be true. I would think that more people would go this route than 4l80e and 700r4 swaps. I do know that the drivelines would have to be modified some, but again that is relatively simple to measure and send down to the DS shop.

I called them a while back while waiting on my paperwork clear, throwing around the idea of OD or a trans swap.

GearVendors said, very adamantly, they do not make a overdrive that will fit in a HMMWV application without drastic drive line modification.
Said they have some TH400 applications that work in a part time 4wd set up, but would require lots to get it going on the HMMWV, and do not recommend it.

tage

Looks like on their website they only offer np205 & np208 for the th400... Drastic drive line modification might just be a new transfer case....

Guess it comes down to money, and if a standalone 4l80e is any cheaper....

samuraicrawler

I may need to check again but I believe they offer them for the 241 and 242 also

Looks like on their website they only offer np205 & np208 for the th400... Drastic drive line modification might just be a new transfer case....

samuraicrawler

Also, I believe you have to do a TC swap anyways if you do go to the 4l80e.

samuraicrawler

Nah, I have the NP218 but I am doing some research and it seems that it is the same bolt pattern as the 242 and should bolt up to the 4l80e.... Can anyone confirm this???

I guess that would depend if you have the np242 already.... Either way I'm not used to NP's. Give me a twin stick Dana 20 and I'm content.

awestb

Hey guys , I just joined the forum and seems to be a lot of real good info here. I am also interested in this GV to NP transfer case solution. This seems like a slick solution and simple if it will all fit !

https://www.gearvendors.com/4x4gm3s.html.

They at least offer the NP 205 and 208 as an option , need to check on the 241 or 242.

Last edited:

samuraicrawler

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks