• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geico insurance- Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcwilkie

Don't know if this helps

If you get commercial insurance do you need commercial plates and a CDL? Not sure how SC works...
I had to get commercial plates anyway because the vehicle has the capability of having a road weight of 18,000 lbs. I tried to get them to license it as a recreation vehicle, but they wouldn't budge.

I don't need a CDL because Alabama only requires that if the vehicle weight exceeds 26,000 lbs or has air brakes (different from our air-assisted brakes).

You'll just have to dig on this to see what SC law allows.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SC- if you don't actually haul commercial, then you don't need a commercial tag or CDL. Unless you load the truck over 26,000lbs, or haul a trailer bigger than 10k. But even then, you can get a class E or F license, which is non-commercial, but lets you haul big weight and trailers.

What you do with the truck determines if it is commercial or not.

ranchand

I have mine insured through amica. They quoted me 400 something but when I told her it was registered as a farm vehicle that lowered it about a hundy. I use mine mostly for hauling sand on my own property and the occasional load of gravel about 6 mi away via back roads.
When I got her registered the lady asked me what I wanted the gvwr to be and I said 26k.

gpp111

Geico

For my M818 insurance, J.C. Taylor said they did not insure vehicles like this. Hagerty said Virginia (where I live) considers the M818 a 'commercial vehicle' so they wont insure it, but Geico insured it on line for $85 a year without any problems.

Go figure.

That's not a bad price, but I was hoping to get it on my regular policy, with 4 current vehicles, because it would/should only be a few more bucks a month. Good to know though.
I tried to insure my '68 Kaiser M35A2 through Geico and it was denied. I have 2 other vehicles insured through Geico (06 Impala and 79 K10) and got no help. They sent me to Geico Commercial and it was denied because I don't own a company. After that, they sent me to the company that underwrites for Geico Classic/Antique/Collector. It was going to be $80 a year, but I don't have a LOCKED GARAGE to keep it in. Called Hagerty and they wanted $250/year in a LOCKED GARAGE. I finally called an Erie Insurance agent and got coverage for $450/year. What a circus.. I'm 25, no accidents, no tickets, never missed a payment and have a good credit rating........ can't have anything easy!!:evil:
Contacted Geico yesterday and went through all the things they asked about, said they'd get back to me. Got an email just a few minutes ago saying that they "don't have a market for the type of insurance you are requesting."

Really? I requested commercial insurance. Sounds more to me like they don't insure military vehicles used for commercial purposes. Stupid.

LC

ETA: Even had the insurance listed under my company name, didn't help.

Last edited:

maxxplanck

Im having trouble here also, went to State Farm 3 weeks ago they told me $11 a month so I paid for 6 months up front.. Then I get a bill for another $241 ( total of $308 for 6 months ) When I went down there they had me under historic plates, but on the new bill it said commercial plates. So I called them up they said no way on the historic plates and that it would have to be under commercial plates. I told them refund my money and Ill go try someone elese........

Status
Not open for further replies.