• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gel filled tires?

DeuceDad

I picked up a couple of used tires on rims today (9.00-20) to replace the badly weather worn front tires on my deuce. I tired to test the air pressure in them with a tire gauge, but couldn't get a reading. The tires feel solid and are definitely heavy, the guy I got them from told me they might be gel filled.

Has anyone heard of this before? I have seen foam filled, is this the same thing? If they are gel filled, what does that translate too in PSI? I have not installed them yet, I am assuming once I do I will be good to go. Any words of caution I need to know about here?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks! :)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just Googled "gel filled tire". interesting!

Capt. Hook

They should be foamed filled for thorn problems like we have in Texas. After the tires are worn then you just cut the tire off and the foam filling comes off the rim. Everything that I have heard you should still have a pressure reading.

hoop

Gel or Foam filled tires will not hold up to road speeds, as they will generate a lot of heat and self destruct.

DeuceDad

Thanks for the inputs

Thank you everyone for the inputs. I never take my deuce out on the highway, mostly just cruising around town at 35 - 45 mph speeds. Anyone think this will be a problem as Hoop mentioned? I just want to be cautious here.

hoop

Foam or Gel filled you can not replace the tube. Just around town , not a problem. If you add weight and speed, Problem. Put them on the rear.

DeuceDad

Thanks again Hoop and all

Thanks Hoop. What would be your best guess at max speed. I rarely hit 50 mph because I am running around town. I also never haul any loads, I just enjoy the truck and the time having it in parades to show support for my son's JROTC. Any other concerns or words of advice you can think of regarding these? I plan on replacing my front tires with them.

Also, any recommendations as to a good source to obtain the large wrench or socket to remove the nuts of the wheel lugs?
Thanks!

Foam or Gel filled you can not replace the tube. Just around town , not a problem. If you add weight and speed, Problem. Put them on the rear.

Rustygears

You can get 1.5 inch impact socket at napa. Liquid or gel filled tires will have huge added weight, affecting acceleration, steering, handling stability. They would be very dangerous on the road at anything beyond very low speeds. They are used in tractors to add weight on the rear axle for traction instead of/in addition to wheel weights.

gerrykan

Put them on and take it for a cautious drive.
You should find out quickly what effect they have.

I have two new 9.00x20's near Sparta, Mo. if you need them.
You can have them for what I've got in them($300), PM me if interested.

DeuceDad

Gel filled tires - another question

Put them on and take it for a cautious drive.
You should find out quickly what effect they have.

I have two new 9.00x20's near Sparta, Mo. if you need them.
You can have them for what I've got in them($300), PM me if interested.

Thanks for the comments. Do you know if there is anyway I can remove the tire off the rim with the gel filling inside to save the tire and replace the gel with a tube if I choose?

hoop

The gel will just be in the tube that is in the tire. Break the tire down and cut out the tube(gel) out.
Side note.....Oh...I have a couple that I will sell at what I have in them.....$12,000......
I hate it when someone wants to pass on bad deal...AKA...I got screwed, now let me screw you.
No, I do not have any for sale.

gerrykan

Do you know if there is anyway I can remove the tire off the rim with the gel filling inside to save the tire and replace the gel with a tube if I choose?
If you get them off and need new tubes, these guys have always treated me right:
Wilson Tire Co
1610 W Mount Vernon St, Springfield, MO
(417) 864-7147 ‎

The last New 9.00x20 tubes I bought from them were about $22 each(this is probably too much though, according to hoop).
I included an aerial map, because they don't have a sign by the road.

Attachments